Advanced Lead Carbon Batteries (AKA Firefly Oasis)

ckent323

For folks dealing with chronically partially charged batteries for extended periods I have read some encouraging information about the Lead/Carbon Foam batteries (Firefly Oasis).

I am still learning about these and finding independent data to back up the claims requires searching.

Price seems to be between high quality AGM and LiFePO4 (i.e. $400 - $500 for 12V 100ah). Apparently the marine boating community has been using them (based on my Dad's boat I understand the challenge of keeping a battery fully topped off so these are appealing for those who want to operate between 30% and 80% soc.

More info here:

https://oceanplanete...oasis-group-31/

From Battery University Site:

Firefly Energy
The composite plate material of the Firefly Energy battery is based on a lead-acid variant, and the maker claims that the battery is lighter, longer living and offers a higher active material utilization than current lead acid systems. It is also one of the few lead acid batteries that can operate for extended time in partial-states-of-charge. The battery includes carbon-foam electrodes for the negative plates, which gives it a performance that is comparable to NiMH but at lower manufacturing costs. Firefly Energy was a spin-off of Caterpillar, and in 2010 it went into bankruptcy. The company was later revived under separate ownership but folded again. Since 2014, the battery is manufactured in India under Firefly Batteries Pvt. Ltd."

Rando or others smarter on the newer battery technologies are you familiar with these? Your comments are solicited.

Regards,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom