Advice for a newbie!

SageTrails

I plan to be ordering a Four Wheel camper “shell” model in the next couple of days. I like this option because I would prefer to do my own quality cabinetry in the galley and other storage areas, plus I have some unconventional ideas for seating and storage.

I am planning to order as a mostly base unit, but I am looking through the options to determine if anything catches my eye. I am wondering what other owners think? One example; I would like to have an awning at some point. The price for the newer “batwing” awnings (factory installed) is not a ton more than just buying an awning from Eezi Awn directly, and I would still have to install it. Am I better off adding it to the build? My only hesitation is that it is still, in the end, a costly addition.

I would also enjoy hearing what others wish they had added (or not added).

Thanks for your replies!

P.S. I need to order soon.

Welcome to the Forum Sage Trails. Those are good questions and options to consider regarding your upcoming purchase.

On a recent Oregon to Arizona round trip, the features I appreciated the most on my All Terrain Camper were the furnace, stove, power fan and solar panel. These features would be applicable to a shell. For the batwing, I would add it at the time of ordering, and it's done.

My only regret is that I didn't get an aluminum frame pop up camper sooner:)

Thanks for your reply Arvee! I appreciate your input.

I will be getting a fantastic fan, and second hatch as part of a special associated with this order. I plan to add a furnace, cooktop, sink (water tank), and eventually 110 and 30amp power plugs (wiring, etc.), but I will probably add a solar panel as the first power addition. I have a very small portable solar panel which works great for charging a phone and other small things, so I can already see the benefit of adding solar to the camper. Luckily, I have my dad to help me figure out some of the electric/installs, plus so much info online!

I’m very excited to get the camper, and it seems like I will be part of a good community.

Welcome. This site has a group of people who love to help. One key thing is if you are looking for help, say on electric, you might get answers from others, or be provided to a link for a previous post on the top. There are great archives. jd

It sounds like you would be comfortable with cutting the roof? I kind of wish I had 2 fans in my older Eagle (one in front, one in back). It only has one in back.

If you haven't been in the campers much, try to find one that has some general layouts, sit in them, etc. and see how the 'spacing' is, etc. Allow room for the obvious; battery(ies), storage, etc. There is some "wasted" space in the campers.

Also, depending on how you are with plumbing, etc. the furnace might be worth them installing but that requires some cabinets I suspect. That's assuming you want a furnace.

I also found that having them install the jacks, etc. and buying them through them was as economical as I could find used. By the time you factor all that goes into installing them and the cost, there's not much saving doing it yourself.

Kevin

Sage, welcome to the group!

In addition to FWC, I would also look at the All Terain Campers. Both are well made.

ATC is open to customization that will make the camper more tailored to your needs. You mentioned unconventional ideas for seating and storage, and might find it cost effective to ask the ATC team to do it for you. They are typically less expensive than Four Wheel.

Regardless which way you go, you will get a good camper.

Lot's of good advise here-just ask! Twelve years of having it has taught me allot! For me that awning was a must (factory install for me). I mean why buy a pop-up and sit in it all the time because except in the worst weather thev awning works fine and don't forget shade from those direct sun days. I was talked into a hot water heater, and much to my surprise, having hot water at the turn of the knob is neat and saves allot of time, and having it on on those freezing nights/mornings keeps the pipes from freezing. Solar-go solar and think about that second battery.Last thought-anything you get now, you will not have to add later, plus, the cost is sort of masked now as one big price.

Smoke

One thing I considered before purchasing my camper was the payload of my truck and the upgrades I'd need to carry the load. There are several threads on here about camper weight and truck capabilities. And there are some very skilled folks that do their own upgrades, and others like me, who simply pay for an upgrade. Do consider your truck and the camper, especially if you have a Tacoma or other smaller pick-up.

Welcome. I purchased a used Fleet with everything on it so have had a chance to try out all of the options. And I guess it is like grandma’s attic where you fill up whatever space you have, I use everything in the camper some a lot more than others. With that in mind I would get all of the exterior doors, venting, roof rack, thermal cover, fans and other connections done that could be completed without cabinets because they are so much easier to be done when the camper is being built than later because that maximizes your options in the future. Other than that every other decision would seam to depend on whether based on your use each item is worth the money to you.

My use:

Use every trip:
Refrigerator
Solar and batteries
water
comfortable bed
rear steps (move solar from fixed to portable use)
roof rack (for solar)

Other items critical on some trips:
Heater (spring and fall camping)
Awning with bug net (outside sun, rain and mosquito protection)
Inside stove (in the rain but could cook under awning)
porta potty (for wife to go along)
single bed (grandchild or stealth)

Nice to haves:
Hot water and shower
rear flood lights (backwoods arrival in the dark)
dinette (mostly just in the rain)
door and awning lights
110 V connection and charger (battery charge and refrig. cooling before trip)
water hose connection (rare campground)

I would certainly consider have FWC install any option that requires a major change/penetration to the camper shell (as movinon suggests). This would include roof vents, propane system, heater and hot water (if you want it). I am not sure which of these can be had with the shell model, but I am pretty sure heater and roof vents can be ordered. It seems like these would be much easier to install (and probably more water tight) while the camper is being built.

There are some options that are also just great value from FWC, the awnings being one of these. I don't think I could have bought the Fiamma awning myself for the price to have it installed by FWC with nice custom brackets. There are other options that are less great value - solar being the big one. You can install a bigger and better system for much less money than FWC wants for theirs - however do make sure the camper is prewired for solar - don't want to have to pull the roof and walls apart to run wires.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions!

Now, my new “issue”; I was planning on getting the FWC shell, but now I’m also wondering about ATC. I like the fact that they seem more flexible in their builds, which is not the case with FWC. The problem is, I would like to actually look at an ATC and assess the quality in comparison to FWC, but no dealers!

I don't know if they still do, but FWC used to option a "Full build wall" or something similar. The frame would be built as though the camper was option loaded - so most options could be added later without having to hack the frame.

ATC will install interior panels with screws instead of the usual staples. Panels can then be easily removed and reinstalled without damage, makes a retrofit much easier. They will also build the frame (almost) any way you want.

I would have to agree with what moveonin said mostly. I got my camper used, well it was pretty much a one year old unused Fleet. I was lucky because it was loaded with everything I wanted. After using it on a daily basis, I have to say my must haves are:

Thermal Pack (to insulate your roof and to quiet the outside).
Furnace (try sleeping when it's below 40 without these two)

Solar or more like "Mo POWA". I always say this and I heard the same from others at the rally last weekend. I have 160 watts, but am about ready to add more. But I use more so it makes sense. When the sun is out, I forgo my propane stove and go ALL electric for free using a NuWave conduction cooktop. Beats trips to reload propane and the small cost it is. Add an inverter too to help when needed.

Lastly, I have to have a refer. Wish my Dometic was more efficient though. Check out the ARB's, there are others too.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom