Air bag and tire pressure

ottorogers

I know this has been discussed already at length, but I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong or right, I have Firestone air bags in a 2014 Toyota tundra, I have brand-new General grabber 10 ply tires, I’ve got 40 pounds of air in the back tires and 40 pounds of air in the front tires, I also have a TRD swaybar, I’m still getting a lot of sway, I’m sure I’m a bit overloaded, the Hawk camper weighs 1480 pounds without anything in it, two adults at 325 pounds, plus all of our gear, and full tank of water, It seems to sway a lot on the highway, I don’t like it, should I go up to 60 pounds of air in the tires, or 70 pounds of air in the airbags?

Definitely wouldn't keep increasing tire pressure.

Other than the bags, what are you running for rear springs?

I run the OME 2.5" springs with an extra add a leaf and bags. I rarely need to inflate the bags more than 25lbs.

You want to have it setup so you have a backup. If you can only drive the truck with XXXX amount of air in the bags, then if a bag/line fails youre SOL and stranded.

Need to get close with add a leaf and springs and use the bag as a supplement. Don't rely on the bags as a primary fix. If that makes sense.

Suspension is definitely a slippery slope when adding things to do.. I spent a ton of time and trial and error with mine, to finally get it perfect.

My .02

I run the OME springs with an extra leaf as well on my Tacoma. I started with just air bags and E rated tires but I didn't like the amount of sway and wallow I was getting and upgraded my suspension accordingly. Now it rides just fine.

I have a Tacoma with stock springs, heavy duty shocks, Firestone air bags and E rated tires. I run 75 lbs of air in the bags and 70 lbs in the tires. Handling feels fine to me.

I don't know about your max tire pressure on the grabbers, but I"ve owned several 10ply tires and I run 70-80 when I have a load...sounds like 40 is the reason for your sway to me.

I run the OME 2.5" springs with an extra add a leaf and bags. I rarely need to inflate the bags more than 25lbs.

Where can a guy source this extra leaf for the OME leafpack? I currently have the OME Dakar leafpacks and airbags already installed, and I'm waiting for my Hawk to be manufactured. (We're hoping for a delivery sometime late winter or early spring)

I installed the leafpacks and other goodies myself, so I imagine it should not be too difficult to add the extra leaf to the standard OME pack?

ottorogers said:
I have brand-new General grabber 10 ply tires, I’ve got 40 pounds of air in the back tires and 40 pounds of air in the front tires, I also have a TRD swaybar, I’m still getting a lot of sway.
Which tires specifically? 40 psi might be a little low.

If your airbags are joined together, that might be the culprit. If the truck wants to tilt, air will flow out of the one being compressed and into the one being extended.

rruff said:

If your airbags are joined together, that might be the culprit. If the truck wants to tilt, air will flow out of the one being compressed and into the one being extended.
+1 on both comments.

rruff said:

they are together, air goes into both air bags at the same time

Jeromelo said:
I don't know about your max tire pressure on the grabbers, but I"ve owned several 10ply tires and I run 70-80 when I have a load...sounds like 40 is the reason for your sway to me.
max pressure for my tires is 80 PSI

ottorogers said:
I wouldn't do that for two reasons. Chances are the camper doesn't weigh the same on both sides and what rruff said. I have a 2017 Tundra and an ATC Panther, using ride rite air bags and TRD rear sway bar. I hardly need any air in the air bags. Each air bag has it's own air line.

However the ATC Panther is probably lighter than the FWC Hawk.

ottorogers said:
This is probably a lot of the problem.
Separate the bags, and add some pressure to the tires, and it will probably be better.

MattC said:
This is probably a lot of the problem.
Separate the bags, and add some pressure to the tires, and it will probably be better.
ill try 50 psi, in the rear tires (from 40), then maybe 60, then separate the airbags

I have a 05 Tundra with a Hawk. I am running 55 pounds of air in the back and 50 in the front I have E and D rated tires depending on the time of year. I am running 20 pounds in the Ride Rites. I am with the other guys that are saying you need to separate the air bags. When the truck leans the air goes from one side to the other. The Ride Rites take such a minuscule amount of air it doesn't take much to change a lot. I would separate them then adjust your tires.

ottorogers said:
ill try 50 psi, in the rear tires (from 40), then maybe 60, then separate the airbags
I would recomend that you separate the bags first.
that will probably make the biggest difference.
They should never be hooked together, because as air is pushed out of one it gets pushed into the other magnifying the effect.

idahoron said:
I have a 05 Tundra with a Hawk. I am running 55 pounds of air in the back and 50 in the front I have E and D rated tires depending on the time of year. I am running 20 pounds in the Ride Rites. I am with the other guys that are saying you need to separate the air bags. When the truck leans the air goes from one side to the other. The Ride Rites take such a minuscule amount of air it doesn't take much to change a lot. I would separate them then adjust your tires.
good advise, thanks, this makes sense

idahoron said:

Same here...loaded '16 Hawk on '05 AC Cab Tundra...currently "D" tires at 50 psi and 32 psi left air bag and 28 right air bag....I equalized [air pressures for height and load] height until the top of each fender well is 35"...I do have an anti-sway bar on rear which greatly reduced any sway..

Back
Top Bottom