Air Bags for 2004 Tacoma

2'overhead

I have an Eagle FWC with a 2004 Tacoma. I have installed Super Springs, which stabilize the ride significantly, but they do not address the low ride height of the truck with the camp installed.
I was just looking for some feedback on some air bag systems and or any other system that any of you have had success with, in keeping the truck from sagging.

FYI. I'm also looking to cart my 280lb dirt bike on the back in addition to the camper. Please don't just say get a 3/4 Ton and make me jealous, I'm saving up for that one:)

Thanks

My 2005 Tacoma has Ride Rites and Super Springs. It was not difficult to do and made the Tacoma very stable.

I have no direct experience with this, but I have played someone who knows what the hell he is talking about on the internet.

:)

Wile researching what I might want to do on my 1/2 ton, I have read a lot of truck forums. A lot.

It seems like folks with Tacomas have had problems with airbags cracking their frame in a certain spot.

I would research that a bit before jumping in to air bags.

I don't use airbags.. but have a set of timbrens on the back axle. Tends to keep things up pretty near stock height.

I second the Timbrens. No sagging...no sway...no bouncing or bottoming out. You can put em on yerself if yer handy.

happy trails...

mtn

Don't know a thing about toyotas, but with a 1000 pound loaded camper on the back, the last thing I would do is cantilever a 300 pound bike and mount off the rear end. I wouldn't do that with my 3/4 ton. Plus it will block access to the camper and ruin your departure angle.

Pick up Harbor Freight or used CL utility/bike trailer.
Works fine with my dirt bike or Harley.

Valkraider is exactly right about some folks having issues with the airbag bracket cracking/bending thier frame in a certain spot.

To me it seems to be the way that the brackets mount to the C channel frame on Tacomas. With just 2 bolts. It puts all the weight and stress on one small area of the frame, alowing the bracket to slip, which can weaken, bend, crack the thin part of the frame.

I solved this issue by boxing the frame all along the vunerable area with thick steel gussets, and welding the brackets in place.

i just installed Firestone airbags on my chevy and found that they do what I wanted and were easy to install.

I have a bent frame on a 2004 Tacoma from Ride Rite air bags. Any idea what kind of shop might fix this? How much should I be paying for this repair? I have been real happy with the air bags, but I have to get this fixed. They are resting on my exhaust now.

Attachments

• aPioche 870 014.jpg
    aPioche 870 014.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 150
I have a bent frame on a 2004 Tacoma from Ride Rite air bags. Any idea what kind of shop might fix this? How much should I be paying for this repair? I have been real happy with the air bags, but I have to get this fixed. They are resting on my exhaust now.

Any good 4x4 shop should be able to fix. Remove air bag, bent back frame and put a sq tube above to box in the frame. Should not be a big deal to get taken care of. You might also try any good welding shop in your area.

Bill

I had slight bending on my ’00 Tacoma frame. Straightened it up and bolted in a piece of square stock with inner bolts support. Since adding the support, I’ve unintentionally gotten airborne a few times and hit some seriously rough stuff and the frame has been fine ever since.

This was the quick, simple and cheap way to go. Any muffler shop or metal fab shop should be able to help you out. Welding supports and boxing the frame would be a better option, but this works for me.

Keep an eye on your bed mounted eye bolts too. Mine were pulling the bed sheet metal and needed additional support in all four corners from underneath the bed.

Not a great pic, but you get the idea. The air line was relocated after the pic was taken.

Framesupport.jpg

Thanks for the responses, I went to a local Tire / Muffler shop. IN about an hour he had it fixed up. From now on I am not going to put over 20 pounds in the air bags, I think I need a helper spring too! Thanks for the help, Mal

Attachments

• aIMG_1532.jpg
    aIMG_1532.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom