Air Bags vs. Helper Springs

CLynn85

Just wondering for you guys with half ton and smaller trucks, what setup do you run for load-compensating? I test-fitted the camper in my taco this weekend and she's definately going to need a boost.

Hi Carl,

If this camper is staying on full time, like my Ranger that has never came off, then consider taking the truck to a spring shop. There they can add a leaf one on either side of the load leaf and re-arch the springs to level off the ride.

If you do this and find you don't have the camper on anymore, then your ride will be like a buck board. You will be looking for weight to add.

I guess you could add the helper springs to see if you have the lift. Never liked those because they put pressure only on part of the spring and over time springs could break.

If only put the camper on for few trips during the year then I would suggest air bags. The bags will lift from the top of leaf springs and the frame, and push them apart. That is how you get the lift.

Does this help?

Supersprings and antisway bar.

First I put on a set of Supersprings as recommended by FWC. It helped a lot, but I still had to go slow over any kind of terrain which rolled left and right. I added a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar and it was a tremendous improvement. A buddy of mine has followed me on dirts roads before and after the anti-sway bar and he saw a noticeable change. I don't know if I would have the Supersprings if I had first purchased the anti-sway bar, but I'm not going to take them off.

Airlift airbags

I have a 97 T100 with a 2003 Eagle and I have been using Airlift airbags for about 12,000 miles now.I run them at 55 psi and my truck is tight in the turns and smooth on the straights.

springs

If you going to be taking the camper on and off your truck on a regular basis you will probably want to go with either air bags or air shocks. You want them installed in a way that you can adjust each side separately. The drivers side of the camper is normally a little bit heavier than the passenger side.

If you are going to leave the camper on full time, then a set of springs works great until you take the camper off the truck and it beats you to death going down the road. Adding springs works well if you carry the camper full time. If you are not going to carry the camper full time, you want something that you can adjust.

Based on the above my soon to be purchased Tacoma/Eagle combination obviously will need some suspension assistance.

I expect to use the truck solo for many jobs and therefore it seems I should go the airbag route, but there are a lot of suppliers out there - any recommendations from your experience guys?

This newbie thanks you all....

I've put on two AirLift airbag systems and work good. Went with them because they were easy to get local. RideRite system is good also, but was harder to walk into a local store to buy.

Those are the only two I have experince with. You can go online and search the companies for your make and model. AirLift will show you the instructions that you can print to see how to install. Good luck with your selection.

Firestone Air bags

Have had them on for 60K including a run up to Alaska for 4 months. I checked them but only once had to add air. With the Tundra I ran each bag fill tube up inside the wheel well with the fill on the front side of the wheel well. There are already holes there so I just put the fill tubes there. I didn't join the bags because I can level the truck if uneven weighted. The only thing I wish was that I had a better shock. The Toyota TRD billsteins are reallly soft when weighted in the rear.

Went with the air-lift kit and installed them earlier in the week. Pretty simple installation. I ran the schrader valves out through the bottom two holes of the license plate, pretty covert. Guess we'll see how they do when I put the camper back on monday. Thanks for all the help guys!

Timbrens?

Does anyone have experience with Timbrens Aeon rubber springs? Seems like another reasonable alternative to supersprings or airbags.

I have talked with many customers over the years and have not gotten much feedback good or bad on the Timbren Kits.

The customers I did talk with were not happy with the performance when carrying their camper around.

One guy said his axel started to leak where the bumber was contacting, but he couldn't say for sure it was due to the product -- he mentioned he really over-loaded the truck a few times with firewood.

As far as I can tell, their product is just a beefed up rubber bump stop / bottom out bumper. I don't think it is helping the truck suspension carry any eatra weight. It only works to cushion the truck frame from bottoming out with the axel. Maybe I'm missing something though ?

If you want a simple approach that will do the trick, go with a set of helper springs, air bags, or add a leaf (like Peavy mentioned).

www.supersprings.com

www.hellwigproducts.com

www.ride-rite.com

Just my opinion -- hope this helps (maybe more people will chime in with experience)

i have had ride-rites on 2 rigs and never had a problem (knock on wood)!

Thanks for the info. I saw a pic online of someone who had the Timbrens with a camper and they shifted laterally and provided only a little support. Expecting to offroad a bit, that lateral shift makes them next to worthless.
Just found out that Airlift will have out airbags for my 07 Tundra next week. Thats what I'll go with. Firestone still doesn't know when theirs will be available and I pick up my camper in 3 weeks. Thanks.

Interetsing Item

I've never had a truck camper before, but got a 2004 Hawk-Shell model---being a bit handy and builing cabnets--etc--and after adding the new hydrolic jacks, my 2001 Toyota Tundra is swaying and a little shaky. Tomorrow, I'm having a set of extra-load springs and Monroe shocks installed-----hoping this will settle the whole thing down. I'll probably leave the camper on the truck most of the time. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom