air bags vs timbrens

sefelix

I have used airbags on a 4x4 Tacoma 2009 last fall on back roads in Colorado and they preformed well. I have a different Tacoma now and was wondering if timbrens would suffice for the few weeks a year I have my Eagle camper on my truck. Is there anyone out there with experience using both that could give me some insight.

I have used airbags on a 4x4 Tacoma 2009 last fall on back roads in Colorado and they preformed well. I have a different Tacoma now and was wondering if timbrens would suffice for the few weeks a year I have my Eagle camper on my truck. Is there anyone out there with experience using both that could give me some insight.

I installed the Firestone Ride-Rite air springs instead of the Timbren rubber springs for two reasons. First, I don't have my camper on my pickup all the time so I can let most of the air out of the air springs when the camper's off and have a softer ride. The other reason is that you can adjust the left and right air springs independently. This is important to me because my Hawk is much heavier on the driver's side because of the refrigerator, propane tanks, cabinet and water tank.

Ed

I installed the Firestone Ride-Rite air springs instead of the Timbren rubber springs for two reasons. First, I don't have my camper on my pickup all the time so I can let most of the air out of the air springs when the camper's off and have a softer ride. The other reason is that you can adjust the left and right air springs independently. This is important to me because my Hawk is much heavier on the driver's side because of the refrigerator, propane tanks, cabinet and water tank.

Ed

Ed,

Thank you for your response. I agree that the air adjustment left to right is an advantage to having air bags. I wonder how great the difference in ride is with the camper on. I understand from what I have read that the timbrens don't come into play without a load on. Of course, if you travel a rough road it seems that they could cause your ride to be a bit bumpy.

I'm installing timbrens on my 2007 toyota taco TRD. Driving out to Oregon to pickup a FWC Eagle this week. I will let you know if I like them or not. At least they have a lifetime warranty, and no worry maintance, which is nice.

Steve

I've never used airbags but I do like the Timbrens. Kills the sway....stops 99.9% of that "bounce"/vibration that sometimes gets goin with the camper on.
(with the Supersprings alone it was like one of those mechanical bulls at times)

Yes..I lean a bit left....quite a bit in fact (but we'll leave politics and lifestyles out of this). I gave up the ability to adjust by goin Timbren but in the climate I live in I felt they would be a better choice alll around. The last thing I wanna be doin is dig through muck/mag chloride and ice to find an air valve...

good luck whatever ya decide to do

mtn

I'm installing timbrens on my 2007 toyota taco TRD. Driving out to Oregon to pickup a FWC Eagle this week. I will let you know if I like them or not. At least they have a lifetime warranty, and no worry maintance, which is nice.

Steve

Steve,

I would really appreciate hearing how they preform for you. Thank You!

Stan

I've never used airbags but I do like the Timbrens. Kills the sway....stops 99.9% of that "bounce"/vibration that sometimes gets goin with the camper on.
(with the Supersprings alone it was like one of those mechanical bulls at times)

Yes..I lean a bit left....quite a bit in fact (but we'll leave politics and lifestyles out of this). I gave up the ability to adjust by goin Timbren but in the climate I live in I felt they would be a better choice alll around. The last thing I wanna be doin is dig through muck/mag chloride and ice to find an air valve...

good luck whatever ya decide to do

mtn

Mtn-high,

Thank you for the info. I do like the idea of mounting something I don't have to mess with anymore.

Stan

I have Deaver 10 pack springs on the rear of my Tacoma with Firestone air bags.
I love the adjustability of the bags and even use them to level the truck when camping.

Just my .02

Jeff

I have Deaver 10 pack springs on the rear of my Tacoma with Firestone air bags.
I love the adjustability of the bags and even use them to level the truck when camping.

Just my .02

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the input. Using your bags to level the truck is a great idea! I hadn't ever considered that before.

Stan

Back
Top Bottom