Air Compressor Installation

leadsled9

Contributors
Finally got around to installing the air compressor. I did the research and was impressed by the ExtremeAir Magnum Compressor. This is the compressor I purchased: http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/14/ExtremeAire+Magnum.html

Here is a link from Expedition Portal with some great videos: http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/air-compressor-series.html

So, I bought the compressor, air tank and mounting kit. Note the custom mounting plates I had fabricated to use existing holes in the frame to mount the compressor and tank. I don't like drilling holes in the frame as every hole weakens it and is an entry place for corrosion to start.
compressor, tank and mounting plate - DSC_13450001.JPG

Here's the mounted circuit breaker:
circuit breaker2 - DSC_13980006.JPG

Here's the fused switch and circuit breaker:
switch and circuit breaker - DSC_14010009.JPG

Here's the compressor, 100 amp relay and tank mounted on the frame rail:
installed on frame2 - DSC_13940002.JPG

Here's the custom skid plate installed:
custom skid plate installed2 - DSC_14030011.JPG

Quick disconnect installed at rear on trailer hitch:
quick disconnect - DSC_14070001.JPG

This compressor is awesome. I can now air up tires or run air tools where ever I am out in the boonies.

Notice the 4 gauge welding cable used for the install.

I'm busy preparing for a month long trip to Arizona....when I get back I'm going to plumb a guage into the system somewhere....and another quick disconnect on the front of the truck.

Sweet project, Leadsled. I am sure it will be very nice to have on board compressed air available in bulk CFM. Thanks for documenting and sharing your custom install.

Pretty cool!
A word of caution though, being down low like that I would bring the air intake up high into the engine bay. Because of the lower pressure behind ambient air I'd suggest using one step larger hose than you used for the discharge.

Pretty cool!
A word of caution though, being down low like that I would bring the air intake up high into the engine bay. Because of the lower pressure behind ambient air I'd suggest using one step larger hose than you used for the discharge.

That's a good idea! They do sell a remote mount filter kit and I could easily move the intake up to the engine compartment.

I'll guess that the filter mounts with pipe threads. So with a few fittings and some 1/2" hose you should be good.

I'll guess that the filter mounts with pipe threads. So with a few fittings and some 1/2" hose you should be good.

Yep....thanks for the idea.

Very nice job on the OBA. I had a engine driven York on my LandCruiser and have ordered Kilby's kit for my duramax. Can't wait to have OBA again. It is so handy when you have it.

Jack

Very nice job!

I've been thinking of installing a similar compressor before next summers travels. I would like to put it in the engine compartment where its out of the dust and muck but I've seen many installs on the frame. The new Tundras with their short fronts don't have a lot of extra space in the engine compartment. Do these compressors stand up to abuse of road dust and, here in the north, road salt? Any experiences from anyone?

I haven't decided on a particular model yet but I've been looking at the ExtremeAir that Leadsled used in this thread and the ARB. Anyone got an opinion?

Happy New Years to all!

I finally got around to finishing this project.....added a gauge and remote mounted air filter.
guage and remote air filter2 - DSC_05010007.JPG

Also added a second quick disconnect to the front so I can connect to the system at either end of the truck.
front quick disconnect - DSC_05030009.JPG

The compressor project got some renewed attention.....on my last trip to Colorado (September) I had a tire (crappy OEM tire) blow up and had to use the compressor.

I was stuck in town for two days waiting for Big O Tires to get me a replacement. I took care of the crappy OEM tire problem when I got back home by installing a set of Toyo MT's. The original OEM spare tire Ford had mounted under the truck was smaller than the OEM tires mounted on the truck. I also replaced the spare with a full sized tire so I can rotate all five tires. It turns out that a 35" tire fits nicely under the truck.

Thanks ETAV8R.

Ford really set me up with those OEM tires. As mentioned, the OEM spare tire was a smaller size than the OEM tires mounted on the truck.

I have a limited slip differential in the rear....and the flat was on the rear. This means that if I changed the rear tire with the spare I would now have two different sized tires on the rear axle. The difference in speed would be constantly grinding away on the clutches in the differential leading to potential problems.

No big deal I thought....I'll just throw the spare on the front and put the front tire on the rear......great idea.....but to do that....you need TWO jacks....or at the least one jack and one jack stand. All I had was one jack.

So, I had to pump up the tire with the air compressor.....drive for 20 minutes and repeat the process all the way back to town. Not fun....but made me grateful that I had on board air. I do carry tire plugs...but was afraid to pull the rock out for fear that the plugs would not fill the hole and seal properly....it was a pretty big rock.

Well, now all five tires/wheels are the same....AND I now carry three jacks. I will also carry the OEM spare as a second spare (in my trailer) just in case I need it. I learned a guy can't have too many jacks or spare tires.

Lesson learned.

captainphx said:
Thanks for posting that, Leadsled. That is the next project I am thinking of as well.
Ford put a little sticker on the spare stating that the spare was not the same size. It warns to not go farther than 100 miles and not drive faster than 50 mph.

Have you ever tried driving 50 mph on I-80? I'm sure if I drove 50 mph on I-80 it would lead to my premature demise.

I guess the sticker protects Ford in the event of legal action.

Air up rear tire, put smaller spare on front. Take front and put on rear before rear loses air. Used one jack. One axle at a time. As long as rear bad tire will hold air. A lot better than chancing a blow out or .... From the bad tire. Be safe....

pvstoy said:
Air up rear tire, put smaller spare on front. Take front and put on rear before rear loses air. Used one jack. One axle at a time. As long as rear bad tire will hold air. A lot better than chancing a blow out or .... From the bad tire. Be safe....
Yep, that would have worked.....I guess I had a "Senior Moment."

IMO this idea of the "space saver" spare is a bunch of crap.On all of our cars (I mean Jeeps,Escapes) I would get rid of the small tire and get a new rim and full size tire.Unfortunately our new 2013 Ford Escape has the tire inside and a full size won't fit.To me these space saver tires are a danger.I guess I am just set in my ways.I like all the tires to be the same size,even if I don't rotate from the spare.
Checked the spare on the Tundra.Since I bought the truck used and the tires were new one doesn't know what to find underneath.Spare is same size and I make sure to check the air pressure.So easy to overlook.
Thanks for posting some good info.
Frank

Jack,

Please post a follow up if possible on ur Kilby install.

I haven't done a hard install on my Duramax yet. :oops:

locrwln said:
Very nice job on the OBA. I had a engine driven York on my LandCruiser and have ordered Kilby's kit for my duramax. Can't wait to have OBA again. It is so handy when you have it.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom