Air compressors

My air gauge has that same button. It is slow! 3-5 times faster to use the tip of my pocket knife's blade to depress the valve core's stem. A 40 count said "1001, 1002, 1003,... " drops the (to)yota's 33-10.50's from 30 psi to 20 psi, which all the lower that I ever take it. Simultaneously I have the upper deflator assembly working on the other tire of that axle. Radically shortens the air-down time so I can get to why I'm there faster. I have a set of simple deflators, I just don't like using them. Too hard to get consistent psi results.

Faster? You must be racing..Literally.

Nothing I do in the backcountry is fast! ;) I savor it.

My home grown moto is that "sophistication breeds vulnerability" ..failure... and this is nothing that I can't screw up!

Phil

In my quest to understand...if "Taco" is a Tacoma [I did see the badge reduced to "coma"] is a "Yota" a Tundra? :ninja:

FWIW - I use an ARB deflator as well on my jeep. Fast, easy, accurate. For a compressor I use a Smittybuilt 2781. Did a lot of research and borrowed air from others until settling on this unit. I chose to go with a portable so I can move it from either Jeep to the truck. It will inflate a 32" tire from 12 to 34psi in a couple of minutes. When I get 35's it won't add much more time. I've used some pumps that take 10min to fill the same tire. While I'm not in hurry, waiting 30 min to air up when I can do it in less than 10 is worth the extra few bucks and gets me on to the next adventure.

I find that the more tedious the job, the less inclined I am to do it. My particular deflator was carefully watched the first ~dozen times I used it. That was first in '98 or so and it still does the job correctly. What ever works is what should be used. If you're not comfortable with any deflator or the time required is of no consequence then deflate with a method that is comfortable. My system works for me, but I offer it only for consideration and not as the only "right" way to do the job.

"yota" (for some reason it's rarely capitalized) dates back to, at least, the Toyota Mini-truck email list hosted by Off-Road.com. Refer's to any of the trucks, but rarely if ever any of the Land Cruisers (aka "LC's") be they a pick-up configuration or not.

ntsqd,

I understood that you were offering information and not a mandate of what "must' be done...and I appreciate you [and others] sharing your experiences. I learn by listening and of course then by doing.

So keep the ideas coming...especially the "out of the box" stuff.

Phil

RR: I will give the Smitty a look, thanks. Funny back in the 50's "Smitties" were a very cool set of glass packs.

When I tested all those deflators I of course checked them for accuracy, and do so now and then on the ones I carry every day. All the current ones are consistent within a pound in the 15 PSI range, which is insignificant. I've never had one accidentally completely deflate a tire.

The ramifications of a failure in an aircraft's automatic systems are definitely more dire than a flat tire!

Deflate with schraeder valve tool. 45 to 15 psi in 30 seconds, cheap. hold on to that valve though, you loose it you're screwed, or carry spares which I do. when at a tire shop ask them for a handful of old valves, they're usually laying on top of the tire machine waiting to get thrown out. I periodically stick the gauge on to see where its at, and pop the valve back in about 3 psi before desired pressure. That's the pressure drop tht takes place until I get the valve tight again.

To fill I have the best that Harbor Freight has to offer for around $65. For whatever reason this is the one compressor you can use a 20% off coupon for. It's not super slow, but not fast either. Will fill 4 33s to 45 psi in about 20 minutes. I haven't taken it higher because truck rides like crap with more pressure. It gets really hot but hasn't shut down yet.

JHanson said:
When I tested all those deflators I of course checked them for accuracy, and do so now and then on the ones I carry every day. All the current ones are consistent within a pound in the 15 PSI range, which is insignificant. I've never had one accidentally completely deflate a tire.

The ramifications of a failure in an aircraft's automatic systems are definitely more dire than a flat tire!
Sorry for the delayed response...

I guess I didn't do a very good job conveying my thought regarding automation.

IMO, automation is just a way to make man's daily life easier. Nothing pertaining to the failure of automation (equipment) should lead to dire circumstances if one is properly trained and equipped.. And IMO, THAT is the key regarding the use of automation, regardless of the widget.

Regarding my comments about autopilots, we do not even need a single autopilot to be operative to dispatch an airliner full of people unless flying to a destination with greatly reduced visibility (less than 1/2 mile). Yes, autopilots make life much easier for the pilot. At the end of the day, a Boeing 777 is piloted just like a Cessna 150. Piloting skills are the same. Automation reduces pilot work load and makes cockpit tasks a bit easier to manage. Failure of automation should NEVER lead to dire circumstances. Such would indicate a greater, more systematic problem, usually poorly trained pilots (sadly, Asiana 214 (even though cultural influences taken into the cockpit by the crew will likely be a key contributor in this accident)).

I started out on the Boeing 727. Perhaps the most manual of all jet airliners (like its big brother the 707). The only automation on these airplanes was a single autopilot. And not a very good one for that matter when the models were initially released for commercial air travel.

Today, the Boeing 777/787 are loaded with automated systems, all simply to reduce pilot work load and aide a properly trained pilot to manage the multitude of systems installed on the aircraft. And that is the essence of modern automation in the modern aviation. Airline Transport Pilots have become managers of extremely complex automated system(s). Yet, the loss of any or all such automated systems merely downgrades the aircraft closer to the Boeing 727 invoking sound piloting skills. Nothing dire if properly trained.

Same can be said for auto deflators. As Jonathan mentioned, he eats lunch while sitting along side the trail awaiting the auto deflators to work their magic. I simply choose to perform the task sans automation.

Automation can be a love/hate relationship on modern trucks, look at electric windows! Great to raise/lower passenger window on the Super Duty. Don't need one on the driver side, but its there. But, more importantly, a $5 relay is prone to fail on the pre-2006s leading to windows stuck in their last position with no hope of movement until the relay is replaced! Nothing dire here, just simple failure of automation that can be of a huge inconvenience. And try getting a US made truck today without electric windows! I think you have to order the truck and it is a up-charge for hand crank windows, if even an option!

My point, I simply wish I had the option of choosing the automation and not having it chosen for me.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, 99.999% of all pilots flying the Boeing 777/787 hand fly the airplane on approach and landing. Why? We are pilots, not, system managers. There is nothing more enjoyable than hand flying an airplane, any airplane.

Likewise, I'm an old school wrench. I simply prefer doing things the old fashion way, with my hands. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with using automatic tire deflators for those who choose to eat lunch while their tires deflate! I know Jonathan is, but, be skilled and prepared to fix the results of automation gone wrong.

The beauty is...we both have our choices!

As for air compressors, deflators or inflators, cheap/inexpensive accessories are usually that, CHEAP and INEXPENSIVE. While they may work OK today, will they perform for you tomorrow? While I may drive an old truck, I am not usually the one on the side of trail flagging down help, but, rather the one stopping and digging out my kit to help others. Buy, once and be done and be that guy who is known to stop and help others all the time!

Nothing more enjoyable than refusing money for helping a stranger, but, accepting that cold beer after you have them up and running.

Back
Top Bottom