air conditioner?

I have AC factory installed by FWC. It doesn't work very well without the Arctic Pack installed. I also have two Fantastic roof vent fans.

I have found the best way to really cool down a hot camper is to open two lower turn-buckle doors.....turn both fantastic roof fans on full blast to suck the hot air out of the camper......then shut the vents and run the AC. With the Arctic pack installed....the AC unit then cools down the camper wonderfully. You have to get that original hot air out of there first though. Without this purge of super heated air....the AC struggles to overcome this before it can begin to cool down the camper.

Last time I used the AC it was 106 out...and no shade available. Using the above method....after about 30 minutes of AC....you could hang meat in there. Maybe it just seemed that way since it was sooooo much nicer than before. I don't know what BTU rating the factory AC unit has...but there is not much interior space in one of these campers....and the AC works very well.

My Honda 1000 generator handles the AC fine...but it can't be on ecco mode...must be in regular mode......my Honda 2000 handles the load better, and you can leave it on ecco mode. The 2000 also is a better choice if you have lots of other goodies running and expect to charge your batteries at the same time. I generally bring the 2000 when I anticipate running AC.

I do the same as Led does. I have have left in the window for a week. I dont go off road with my truck. It locks in the window frame and I put pressure blocks againt the sliding window to keep it from sliding over. It only weighs 35 lbs. It works great.

I have AC factory installed by FWC. It doesn't work very well without the Arctic Pack installed. I also have two Fantastic roof vent fans.

Sled,

Do you have any photos of the factory installed AC from FWC? Inside and outside?

Sled,

Do you have any photos of the factory installed AC from FWC? Inside and outside?

I will take some for you today.

Sled,

Stew,

Here are the pictures I promised. Sorry it took longer than I had anticipated.

Attachments

• DSC_03860001_ac_inside.JPG
    DSC_03860001_ac_inside.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC_03830001_ac_outside_covered.JPG
    DSC_03830001_ac_outside_covered.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC_03840001_ac_outside_uncovered.JPG
    DSC_03840001_ac_outside_uncovered.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC_03880001_ac_inside2.JPG
    DSC_03880001_ac_inside2.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 557
Stew,

Here are the pictures I promised. Sorry it took longer than I had anticipated.

Thanks for the photos, Sled9. The factory installation looks slick.

Thanks for the photos, Sled9. The factory installation looks slick.

I like it too. I've pounded this AC unit down nasty jeep trails for a couple of years now....it shows no sign of the abuse....and still works just fine.

I really like the black snap on cover that FWC provided, as that keeps all of the dust/dirt out of the unit.

I like it too. I've pounded this AC unit down nasty jeep trails for a couple of years now....it shows no sign of the abuse....and still works just fine.

I really like the black snap on cover that FWC provided, as that keeps all of the dust/dirt out of the unit.

Can you run that A/C with a regular 15amp 110v cord, or do you need 30amp service?

Thanks,

James

Edit

Read the whole thread, found the answer above with the post about the 1000W Honda... If the little Honda can run it, a 15A 110v cord must do the job too.

I also wanted to know if my little 1k Honda would 'do it', sounds like it, answering another question :)

Never thought I'd want A/C in a FWC...but I can take more heat than my wife, so if I was to buy a new camper, maybe something to seriously consider.

Does anyone have a picture of how the camper connects to a generator to run the ac unit. Stan mentioned that a honda 1000 would run the ac unit, is there an adapter that plugs into the generator?

This thing is rated pretty well and isn't toooooo expensive and you don't need to cut a hole in your camper. It has a reasonable footprint plus you can leave it at home if you want and appears that it would run on a Honda 1000 or similar... WIn Win?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_211842-80003-PACN100EL_0__?Ntt=de%27longhi+10000+btu+portable+air+conditioner&productId=3652067&rpp=24

Does anyone have a picture of how the camper connects to a generator to run the ac unit. Stan mentioned that a honda 1000 would run the ac unit, is there an adapter that plugs into the generator?

Plug an extension cord into the Honda 1000/2000, plug the other end in the campers 120 volt service. Standard plugs....no adapter needed.

My Honda 1000 generator handles the AC fine...but it can't be on ecco mode...must be in regular mode......my Honda 2000 handles the load better, and you can leave it on ecco mode. The 2000 also is a better choice if you have lots of other goodies running and expect to charge your batteries at the same time. I generally bring the 2000 when I anticipate running AC.

Leadsled, you mentioned the honda 1000 handles the ac. How long can you run the ac on one tank of fuel and are you able to run other things like your fridge? I was curious if the 1000 would run the ac overnight on one tank of fuel.

My Honda 1000 runs for 5-6 hours on a refill (tank capacity is 0.61 gal). YMMV depending on your electrical usage.

Honda makes an extended tank that attaches to the generator that will allow all night runtime.

There are many out there...here is just one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GENERATOR-EXTENDED-RUN-FUEL-SYSTEM-KIT-COMPLETE-/120770293990

My Honda 1000 runs for 5-6 hours on a refill (tank capacity is 0.61 gal). YMMV depending on your electrical usage.

Honda makes an extended tank that attaches to the generator that will allow all night runtime.

There are many out there...here is just one example:

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/120770293990

Important to note that Honda does NOT make this product. I own one of this Ebay seller's units. Specially important to take heed about METAL CAPS, don't get those (from any of the several other Ebay sellers out there). This Ebay seller is top notch.

And, your mileage may vary... not only due to your electrical usage, but also the size of the extra gas tank you're willing to carry (which is not included in the Ebay auction).

Just trying to clarify.

hello b team

sounds like a good idea if you can find something that you like

most small window unit air conditioners are only 500 - 600 watts

we can run the small window unit air conditioner off of a Honda 1000 (no problem at all)

good luck on the project

Hello Stan and all you folks,

I was digging in the forum about ways to mount an AC unit and saw several options, like making an adapter for the side window; but with that I wonder about excess drag. What I really want, however, is to mount in back, but I don't know what the frame is like back there and if there is a per-designed "opening" in place. I have a '98 Ranger shell model. How can I find a framing diagram of the rear wall sections on either side of the door which is slightly offset to the right?

An AC unit is a must for living in the south and while traveling in the south west in general.
Thanks,
Tom

greeting everyone.

Mr. Stan the metal bracket surronding the goldstar a\c in your factory pix, where does that come from. Is that something you cobbled up or does it come with that particular goldstar a\c. Would be along the same lines as the aluminum bracket mounted in the side window. Is that one cut out from L stock with 45 deg agles and just fitted around the ac. all the A\c installs are great, just want to confirm that particular part of the install.
Thanks a bunch for sharing!!

Back
Top Bottom