air conditioner?

A/c

We used to mount a Sears one room unit in the back wall of the Grandby on the passenger side. It was not wired into the camper though. You had to use shore power to run it and it was not removable. If you had the time I can see a couple of ways that you could rig one up to put in and out if you are able to modify to the frame. I am sure there will be a few ideas come up though as this thread grows that will be better or easier.

Jay,

That Swampy thing is pretty cool - I bookmarked it in my camper folder. From what the folks are saying though, if an actual AC unit barely gets you cooled down, I don't know if an evaporative would do much at all. I was wowed by how light they were - I was thinking 100 lbs - and it said dry weight 6 lbs.

We endure long winters up here to be able to say "Air Whaaaaaaat???"
(it hit 80 here yesterday for the first time all Summer)

right now I'm looking for my jacket so I can take the dogs for a walk!

stay cool, kidz!

mtn

Same here m-h, 79 yesterday is the high temp for the season. It's been the rainiest spring we can remember. Better weather is on the way.

Ditto on the WET Springtime here, DLN. Every clump of grass is 2-3ft tall and the wildflowers are gonna be SPECTACULAR this season! I've never seen it so green...nor have I seen it dust the peaks >repeatedly< in June as it has done this year

But....um....the flip-side of that is that anyone heading this way should bring plenty of bug repellent! The first skeeter hatch happened this week and they are voracious little F's.

have fun out there!

mtn

Ditto on the little F's Mtn, I was outside last night around dusk and noticed they were all over the place. Going to be a west nile newsday before long.

I have only seen one four wheel camper with a roof mount air conditioner installed.

The guy had to make a special lift assist to raise the roof because the air conditioner was so heavy.

I would not suggest it. A small window unit might be a better choice.

(less weight on the roof / less stress on the roof frame over the years)

hope this helps

happy camping !

Attachments

• air conditioner on four wheel.jpg
    air conditioner on four wheel.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,186
Thanks Stan
you made up my mind. Now I need to find a place to mount a window one.

do a few searches on this forum

I think you will find a few air conditioner threads for people that have done this in the past

here are some pics to help you out for the moment ...

Attachments

• air condition in front window #1.jpg
    air condition in front window #1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 580
  • air conditioner 22.JPG
    air conditioner 22.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 728
  • air conditioner out the side window 1.JPG
    air conditioner out the side window 1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 744
  • air conditioner out the side window 2.JPG
    air conditioner out the side window 2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 746
  • air conditioner - say what.jpg
    air conditioner - say what.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 932
few more pics ...

Attachments

• Side Window Air Conditioner #1.jpg
    Side Window Air Conditioner #1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 713
  • Side Window Air Conditioner #2.jpg
    Side Window Air Conditioner #2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,700
  • Side Window Air Conditioner #3.jpg
    Side Window Air Conditioner #3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 639
I went with the window location

After reading this thread for some time now. I decided to go for it :D. I read the Pros and Cons of A/C units :confused: I don't need AC i live on the beach. But I love to build, tinker and just stay out of the house. I first wanted to put the unit in the back but it would not fit cuz I have a cabinet there with my flat screen on it, so I went with the removable one in the side window that I saw on the thread. I ran a separate 15 amp plug to run it either on shore or my Eu2000i gen. Here are a few pic from today. I will do the fine tuning tomorrow:thumb: adjust weather stripping,paint the outside,stain the inside to match the inside. It fits like a glove and easy to put in and take out.
Thanks for all the great ideas you guys have :thumb:

Attachments

• CIMG0015.jpg
    CIMG0015.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 451
  • CIMG0018.jpg
    CIMG0018.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 434
  • CIMG0020.jpg
    CIMG0020.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 447
  • CIMG0025.jpg
    CIMG0025.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 429
  • CIMG0022.jpg
    CIMG0022.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 426
a few more

I will send more tomorrow when I finish.

Attachments

• CIMG0026.jpg
    CIMG0026.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 489
  • CIMG0027.jpg
    CIMG0027.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 455
  • CIMG0028.jpg
    CIMG0028.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 393
  • CIMG0032.jpg
    CIMG0032.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 411
  • CIMG0039.jpg
    CIMG0039.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 446
My Helper

How could I forget my Helper..

Attachments

• CIMG0009.jpg
    CIMG0009.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 451
The Swampy alternative

Jay,

That Swampy thing is pretty cool - I bookmarked it in my camper folder. From what the folks are saying though, if an actual AC unit barely gets you cooled down, I don't know if an evaporative would do much at all. I was wowed by how light they were - I was thinking 100 lbs - and it said dry weight 6 lbs.

Yep and $50/pound! I recently bought a Swampy to take to Burning Man. We took it camping in Los Padres earlier this month but ended up running the heater instead of the Swampy. Will try again later this month an give you a report.

The final pic's

It works great:thumb: fits like a glove. Next week we go to Mexico for a few days hope its HOT.

Attachments

• CIMG0001.jpg
    CIMG0001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 351
  • CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 363
  • CIMG0003.jpg
    CIMG0003.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 379
  • CIMG0006.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 320
  • CIMG0007.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 318
OK, I'm back from Burning Man and have a partial report on my recently purchased Swampy. As it turned out the AC in our truck was on the fritz so we started using the Swampy in the truck cab on the way up. It was 100+ going thru Mojave and the Swampy made it acceptably comfortable in the truck cab with the windows mostly closed. (The Swampy requires make-up air so there has to be some inflow from the outside.) Notice I said "acceptably" comfortable. Swampy is NOT AC. It is really a fan that blows cool (even chilly sometimes)air. The Swampy used about one quart of water per hour traveling up 395 to Reno. I think it says something that the Swampy was good enough that we did not bother to stop and have the truck's AC fixed even tho it was 100° outside.

When we got to BM, trying to user the Swampy inside the Grandby was another story. It worked just as well but to get the benefit one has to be in the direct path of the blown air. I am not a "sit still" person and I can't be bothered to keep moving the Swampy. We mostly lived outside at BM and at night found it cooled off enough th make sleeping comfortable with just the Fantastic Fan on. We have a solar panel and found we had enough power to run the Fantastic Fan 24 hr a day.

We Swampy'd all the way home in the truck too.

That is the ironic story of the day. Swampy for the truck.

Thanks for the follow up.

That is the ironic story of the day. Swampy for the truck.

Thanks for the follow up.

Hey MXVP,
I like that setup. do you travel with it like that? or just put it in when stopped? Also, do you feel that the window is sturdy enough to hold that weight? I have a popup tent trailer that I'm gonna sell and get a FWC or ATC or maybe a Phoenix. I did a window a/c mod in the pup and a 6500 btu a/c unit was not that lite to be moving in and out. Seems with that much weight, you could bust out the window pretty easily if not careful. Or maybe Stan has something to say on that.

Thanks,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom