Air Force Training Exercise - Rainbow Canyon, DVNP

Stalking Light said:
I can remember them doing touch and goes both at McConnell AFB and Wichita Mid -Continent Airport, the airport finally made them stop because they were tearing up the runways. It was cool to see a few Cessnas and Lears waiting for takeoff when a 52 came roaring in.
Yep runways need to be certificated for specific weights they can take. Even Los Alamitos several years ago had to close to operations after a training exercise by cargo and refueling aircraft. After a busy training weekend the runways were torn up. I'm pretty sure they knew it was time to replace the runways and decided to stage the training exercise to get their runways repaired/fixed/replaced. They are now back up with full operations...which for Los Al isn't much.

We are taking some friends of ours for their first trip to DV tomorrow. We put together an itinerary for them, but after reading this thread the other day, I am going to try and spend a few hours at Rainbow Canyon, as well. My photography is not on par with many on this site, but if I get any photos, I will post them here upon our return.

Back
Top Bottom