Air in lift system

64highboy

Advanced Member
I read a post a few days ago explaining how to get air out of the system. I lossened of all four lines and pumped until fluid came out. I have rebuild the rams, pump and replaced two lines so the system was empty. The problem seems to be air trapped at the bottom of the ram I'm guessing it couldn't escape. Does anyone have a trick for getting the last bit of air out?

^^^ Well.....
Please share it with us.
Inquiring minds want to know....
:)

64highboy said:
Found what I was looking for
WELL?? SHARE IT PLEASE I've been getting beat by our Alaskan for 2 1/2 days trying get it to go down.
I replaced the seals in the pistons, blew out all the lines due to all of the chunks in the fluid, removed the jack and dumped the reservoir. I had the pistons in the down position, connected the jack tight and all four rams loose, filled reservoir and pumped till I was squirting at all four corners then tightened the up then topped off the reservoir capped it and pumped the rams up and reconnected them to their mounts. it does up lickety split but goes down very slowly and stops at a little over half way down. open the reservoir and its a little over half way full. WHAT AM I MISSING?

old thread gary..
I just tried to duplicate your problem by covering up that hole on top of the pump when i lowered it.
It lowered but oil came out the plunger part of the handle. Maybe your aperture has enough of a blockage to slow the lowering.

hangster said:
old thread gary..
I just tried to duplicate your problem by covering up that hole on top of the pump when i lowered it.
It lowered but oil came out the plunger part of the handle. Maybe your aperture has enough of a blockage to slow the lowering.
I went back out in the garage and it was all the way down!! now its working great just the last half goes very slow. going up takes 31 strokes from the bottom to the top! Thanks for checking Hangster! this forum is awesome.

check your corners for obstructions...it's not uncommon for the top half to hang up on the corners....especially on the older first run cab overs. They had the guides on the front of the lower section allowing the upper frame to splay out a bit and drag against the guides. Alaskan moved the guides to the side of the lower section to aid in keeping things square as well as aligned.

Yes...air trapped in the system does fiddle with your brain...next time you change the orings....while the upper tube is out and the o-ring is being replaced...pump very slowly....I say again VERY SLOWLY.....small bubbles catch at the base of the rams...and when pushed ever so slightly will rise to the top of an open tube....ever so slowly...be patient

another thing which hangs up the movement down....loose screws which make their way out of rotted corners...once the head of a flat head screw makes its way into the path of the corner brace it will cause you grief no end.

Welcome to the obsession Gary :D

Rusty said:
check your corners for obstructions...it's not uncommon for the top half to hang up on the corners....especially on the older first run cab overs. They had the guides on the front of the lower section allowing the upper frame to splay out a bit and drag against the guides. Alaskan moved the guides to the side of the lower section to aid in keeping things square as well as aligned.

Yes...air trapped in the system does fiddle with your brain...next time you change the orings....while the upper tube is out and the o-ring is being replaced...pump very slowly....I say again VERY SLOWLY.....small bubbles catch at the base of the rams...and when pushed ever so slightly will rise to the top of an open tube....ever so slowly...be patient

another thing which hangs up the movement down....loose screws which make their way out of rotted corners...once the head of a flat head screw makes its way into the path of the corner brace it will cause you grief no end.

Welcome to the obsession Gary :D
Thanks Rusty.. yeah I'm in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom