Air Rescue Helicopters

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I did a short post on air ambulance helicopters on our blog.

Air Rescue Helicopters

We hope we never need them but when we do we are sure glad they are available. We belong to CalStar's membership program. We suggest finding about similar membership programs in your area. Thanks.

Great topic. Not everyones insurance covers air rescue, everyone should check to see if covered. The membership is very reasonable. My other passion is motorcycle riding, I have many friends in the bay area who have joined Reach.

I need to get a membership sooner rather than later. A friend had a flight this past summer and the raw bill was over $30,000 for a flight that was well under an hour, insurance still hasn't settled on it. $60/year or $150/3 years is a screaming deal.

billharr said:
........................................................ The membership is very reasonable. My other passion is motorcycle riding, I have many friends in the bay area who have joined Reach.
Membership is usually so reasonable it makes a great annual holiday gift to your loved ones.

ski3pin said:
I did a short post on air ambulance helicopters on our blog.

Air Rescue Helicopters

We hope we never need them but when we do we are sure glad they are available. We belong to CalStar's membership program. We suggest finding about similar membership programs in your area. Thanks.
Mr. 3pin, very helpful, thank you! I would like to see more of these organizations have reciprocity agreements. That would make it easy to get coverage in our travels.

Hi 3pin. Great info here but does something like this exist in Colorado. I have 10k of rescue insurance through the American Alpine Club but that wouldn't pay for much of a helicopter ride.

Stew, from what I could find with quick google search there are two air rescue/ambulance services - Flight For Life and TriState CareFlight (AZ, NM, CO) Neither of these appear to have a membership option similar to the ones available near us. I see that CalStar has no reciprocal partners available in Colorado so we, when visiting Colorado and need a medical helicopter ride, could be liable for costs not covered by our insurance. And, sometimes its a bit murky on what actually is covered. But a helicopter ride is only when you really need it and possible charges are way down the decision tree list at the time.

Much of the time high elevation rescues are carried out by military or other government aircraft and unless we are grossly negligent and cited for doing something blatantly stupid, as a taxpayer we should not be charged.

Most search and rescue operations do not cost citizens. Costs occur when medical transport gets involved.

I've gone so far as to start filling out the application. Many 4wd clubs have group memberships available.

fish more said:
I have a Spot locator, they have insurance that provides up to $150000.00 of rescue insurance for a very small cost.
Me too-hope to never use it, but sure glad i got it-thanx to a thread we had here started by Ski about his walk, bears, and his gear sitting on a chair in camp i nstead of in his pack.

Smoke!

You certainly triggered some conversations in our home! :eek:

----------------edit-------------

We now have CalStar membership in addition to our InReach GEOS insurance.

fish more said:
I have a Spot locator, they have insurance that provides up to $150000.00 of rescue insurance for a very small cost.
Me three. I thought the price was reasonable, too. I hope I never have to test how good the insurance is.

Having lived in a rural community for a decade with no trauma surgeon, having access to the air ambulance and/or helicopter is critical and is a literal life saver for many. The service we had there was called FireMed and bought you the local EMS ambulance, the air ambulance/helicopter and reciprocity with some other providers.

The point is check with your local EMS provider as there may be a bundle package available to you. While we are travel/adventure focused the need may very well arise for you somewhere there is care, just not the level required to solve your problem.

Travel on....

I also have my spot. Traveling solo the SOS feature is important. I have never had to use it and hope i never have to but the fact that they will return me to a hospital close to my home is important.

I thought about this thread during a January trip in Death Valley. I was headed north on Harry Wade Road and hadn't passed a soul since leaving pavement. I noticed a helo circling and finally land on the road. Motorcyclist had wrecked and needed a MEDEVAC. I'll bet that cost more than a few $$$. I may reconsider getting the insurance!

full

full

Back
Top Bottom