AirBags for a Eagle camper on a Tacoma?

CanadaMike

Just curious to see if anyone has installed Air Bags on their Tacoma. We have just bought an Eagle Camper and think that airbags may help the ride a little...

Curious to hear a little feedback from you all!

Which ones did you get? The firestone?

Hey CM,

If you enter Firestone Ride Rites in the Google Custom Search you will find alot of comments on this site concerning your question.

I had airbags on my Tacoma but switched to Timbrens. I broke the airbags 3 times. The Timbrens seem to work better for me, and don't effect the ride at all when the camper is off the truck. I can't remember the brand of the airbags I had, but they weren't Firestone. Maybe the Firestones are a bit more heavy duty.

I have a 2003 double cab Tacoma with Firestone airbags for my 2005 Eagle. No complaints and certainly improve the ride.

I would not suggest relying on any airbag for carrying the load. They are great for leveling the load though. I started with airbags....they worked okay after some modification. I eventually wised up and had some custom leaf springs made.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3651/page__p__39373&#entry39373

Cort

I agree with Cort, bags are great for leveling and controlling ride but I wouldn't want to depend on them alone for carrying load. I had an add a leaf and bags and the combo worked great on the Tacoma. If I had it to do again I think I'd go with bags and supersprings for the versatility.

Just curious to see if anyone has installed Air Bags on their Tacoma. We have just bought an Eagle Camper and think that airbags may help the ride a little...

I have a 08 DBL Cab long bed and 03 Eagle. I've got the ride rite airbags, the rear TSB from Toyota (adds an extra leaf), as well as a progressive 3 leaf pack from wheelers that retained the original 4 leaves including the overload leaf. So far its working really well, and is fairly solid. My truck is my DD, sans camper, so I need a leaf pack that can span both scenarios. I probably did >10000 camper miles with the ride-rites and the TSB (prior to the extra 3 leaf pack) and I found everything to be fairly solid. The factory leaves are kinda weak and eventually sagged a bit, so I added the 3 leaf pack to firm everything up long term and add that extra security that Cort and DLN mention.
Rob

The factory leaves are kinda weak and eventually sagged a bit...

Kinda weak? They are designed to handle a couple bags of groceries.

It is one of the big downfalls to the Gen2 Tacoma, but with OME/Dakar leafs all is good again.

Edit: OME = Old Man Emu, from Australia.

Kinda weak? They are designed to handle a couple bags of groceries.

It is one of the big downfalls to the Gen2 Tacoma, but with OME/Dakar leafs all is good again.

Edit: OME = Old Man Emu, from Australia.

Yeah, but the TSB helped a little to start. The extra leaves (which are made by Alcan I believe, perhaps Deaver) seemed to have solved the issue(s).

I wrestled with getting an entirely new leaf pack, but I think i've struck the right balance. Seems to work well. Do you think the issue is weak steel that Toyota uses?

Yeah, but the TSB helped a little to start. The extra leaves (which are made by Alcan I believe, perhaps Deaver) seemed to have solved the issue(s).

I wrestled with getting an entirely new leaf pack, but I think i've struck the right balance. Seems to work well. Do you think the issue is weak steel that Toyota uses?

The issue is Toyota making a truck that rides like a car when empty. I can not blame them, for 90% of the people who buy a Tacoma the ride is perfect.

But for those of us who use the bed, or tow a trailer, it is just to soft. I cringe when I see a Tacoma on the road riding on the bump stops.

I had the TSB leaf pack installed, but it settled out very quickly, and was almost as soft as the original leaf pack. It would have been good if the factory leaf pack was soft, for a good empty ride, but had a good set of overload springs so the truck could carry a little weight.

The issue is Toyota making a truck that rides like a car when empty. I can not blame them, for 90% of the people who buy a Tacoma the ride is perfect.

But for those of us who use the bed, or tow a trailer, it is just to soft. I cringe when I see a Tacoma on the road riding on the bump stops.

I had the TSB leaf pack installed, but it settled out very quickly, and was almost as soft as the original leaf pack. It would have been good if the factory leaf pack was soft, for a good empty ride, but had a good set of overload springs so the truck could carry a little weight.

I just had installed some air overloads, that easily raise the rear back up with only about 35lbs(while unpacked)(max for unit is 100lbs). By Air Lift Ride thru trucksprings.com-actually the units I got are really designated as antisway units, but seem up to the job, and cost only $215. I have an 86 Toyota 4wd xtrcab with an Eagle on it.

I installed Timbrens instead of airbags. Love my Timbrens, highly recommend them.

Edit: I also have OME with Dakar leafs.

I think you will find that when you finally get your FWC, you will prefer air bags over the timbrens. The adjustability is just too hard to beat. They also smooth out the ride. Don't run them with Bilsteins though, they don't have enough rebound dampening.
Jeff

I installed Timbrens instead of airbags. Love my Timbrens, highly recommend them.

Same here OH.... didn't wanna mess with airbags in this climate w/ all of the ice/snow/mag chloride we deal with.
As far as ride...the Timbrens make the squishy factory-ride of the Tundra stiff enough to make it feel like its >really< a truck.
rolleyes.gif
In fact, I still have the weak-ass "Supersprings" on there that I started with...then added the Timbrens so I wouldn't (continue to) bottom out on speed bumps/etc.

happy trails

mtn

I recently purchased a 2004 Tacoma that has an ARB bumper with Warn 8000 winch and Old Man Emu front coils and OME Dakar "heavy" rear leafs. The total lift is supposedly just over 2 inches. I made the assumption the OME springs would handle an FWC camper.

When I purchased my 2009 FWC Eagle and put it on my Taco, the rear springs sagged 5 inches on drivers side and 3 inches on passenger side! I put Air Lift helpers on it. They seemed to work ok, lifting my truck back to the unloaded height with 55 lbs of air in the driver side and 35 on the passenger. I took it on the maiden journey on a dirt road that had some washboard and potholes. 20 miles into the road, the left airbag blew out. On the way home, the right airbag failed also. The support team at Air Lift shipped me out a couple of replacements. After installing the replacements, I took my truck to 3 local Air Lift installers and had them check out my install to determine why they had failed. They all agreed that the install looked good and suspected that the failure was probably the loosening of a bolt in the spacer (required for the 2" lift springs). I put in new bolts and torqued them up to the bolt rating using loctite blue.

I took a trip to Bryce Canyon with the replacement bags installed and the camper loaded for a couple of days stay. The roads were all pavement. With the same inflation (55/35 psi) the truck was level, but it would bottom out occasionally on service station entries, drainages across paved streets and patched potholes.

A couple of days ago, I put the camper on the truck and headed out for Kolob Plateau. The road there is paved most of the way, but has a few rough patches. I aired up to 65/45 psi in the air bags, hoping to eliminate the bottoming out. I hit one dip in the road that bottomed out the suspension. After that, the truck started driving like it had little or no springs on the left and bottomed out on every little bump. I stopped to check out the problem, and found that once again the drivers side bag has failed. I hadn't even left the pavement!

I'm suspecting that the drivers side spring has sagged under load to the point where the air bag won't handle the load. My camper is only 690 lbs plus the options, gear, propane, and water. I suspect the total weight is still under 1,000 pounds. The truck is rated for 1,300 total, so I should not be having these failures. I've come to the conclusion (as stated in other posts in this thread) that the air lifts will not make up for weak springs. I plan to get custom spring packs that will handle the loaded weight of the camper and just augment them with the air lifts.

The OME front coils and OME nitro shocks seem to work fine. Just the rear springs are the problem.

Gil
meach4x4
2004 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 FWC Eagle
saggy OME springs :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you. Very useful post. I am trying to decide how to equip my Eagle's new home.

Just bought the Eagle and put it on the 2001 Tacoma ext cab 4wd (2.7 L 4 cyl).... I installed the Firestone system... wow. works great. took awhile to install (4 hrs) but it went well.... definitely do it

I saw the posts about air bags on a Toyota Tacoma and I am curious about adding helper springs or a extra leaf and helper springs.

I have a Toyota Tacoma 2002 with the TRD off-road package 4wd. I have an Eagle FWC and currently the suspension looks a little flat. Waiting to take it on the road until I figure the suspension out.

Any help would be great.
I actually bought a set of Hell-wig 1500 helper springs and might add a leaf as well.

Back
Top Bottom