AirBags for a Eagle camper on a Tacoma?

Add a leaf, heavy duty shocks, and air bags worked great for us when we had the camper. Air bags alone are not enough and don't provide the redundancy you get with the extra leaf or helper springs.

I have timbrens on my 2007 tacoma and a fwc. The truck drove like they weren't there for two months before I got the fwc. And it rides fairly smooth (considering the extra weight) with the fwc. No bottoming out. In fact.. with the fwc loaded and ready for a trip (about 1000 lbs) it settles right at where the timbrens start. About an inch. Now I read in this thread and in several others complaining that the 2nd gen shocks are weak, etc etc etc. Now I have a regular cab/bed 2wd truck. Is this weak suspension issue that others complain about a 4wd only issue? Because it isn't something that I've experienced.

I have timbrens on my 2007 tacoma and a fwc. The truck drove like they weren't there for two months before I got the fwc. And it rides fairly smooth (considering the extra weight) with the fwc. No bottoming out. In fact.. with the fwc loaded and ready for a trip (about 1000 lbs) it settles right at where the timbrens start. About an inch. Now I read in this thread and in several others complaining that the 2nd gen shocks are weak, etc etc etc. Now I have a regular cab/bed 2wd truck. Is this weak suspension issue that others complain about a 4wd only issue? Because it isn't something that I've experienced.

Wow, interesting.

Are you sure you have the stock leafs? Did you buy the truck new?

For the stock springs you should drop about an inch with 100 pounds in the back, not 1k.

In case anyone reading this thread is interested, I have a set of custom Alcan springs for a gen 1 Tacoma with under 1,000 miles on them for sell. I sold the truck and the buyer didn't want the stiffer springs. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to let you know they are available.

Gil

Wow, interesting.

Are you sure you have the stock leafs? Did you buy the truck new?

For the stock springs you should drop about an inch with 100 pounds in the back, not 1k.

I did buy it new. The only thing non-standard about it is the automatic transmission. Is it possible that most others have full or extended cabs that weigh alot more and are causing this difference in experiences? I admit that I am as confused as you about this discrepancy.

Just curious to see if anyone has installed Air Bags on their Tacoma. We have just bought an Eagle Camper and think that airbags may help the ride a little...

Curious to hear a little feedback from you all!

We bought an Eagle for our 2001 Tacoma 4wd 4 cylinder. I put on the Firestone air suspension and went with 6 ply tires. I have been in the North Maine Woods on some serious roads and it has done fantastic. One is capable of leveling the load as well as smoothing the ride. It's like it isn't back there and we carried 1,800 lbs all total. I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 158
I saw the posts about air bags on a Toyota Tacoma and I am curious about adding helper springs or a extra leaf and helper springs.

I have a Toyota Tacoma 2002 with the TRD off-road package 4wd. I have an Eagle FWC and currently the suspension looks a little flat. Waiting to take it on the road until I figure the suspension out.

Any help would be great.
I actually bought a set of Hell-wig 1500 helper springs and might add a leaf as well.

We used to have a 1999 Tacoma. We put supersprings in it and were very happy with the results. Ride before the springs had far too much sway. After the springs we were much happier. Also look into 10 ply tires and or Timbrens. We now have a 2011 Tacoma with timbrens and 10 ply. It is a big step up from the 1999 with supersprings.

Is it possible that most others have full or extended cabs that weigh alot more and are causing this difference in experiences? I admit that I am as confused as you about this discrepancy.

That is the only difference that I can think of. (?) You also then have a much shorter wheelbase than the extended and crew cab models. Still, that does not account for it.

You have the 3 leaf pack, two normal and one overload? Maybe you got some special spec leafs by mistake. Was your truck assembled in Japan? (You can tell from the VIN, but I forget how.)

That is the only difference that I can think of. (?) You also then have a much shorter wheelbase than the extended and crew cab models. Still, that does not account for it.

You have the 3 leaf pack, two normal and one overload? Maybe you got some special spec leafs by mistake. Was your truck assembled in Japan? (You can tell from the VIN, but I forget how.)

yep, factory 3 leaf pack. Just double checked and counted them again just now. I assume it is american made.. I bought it new here in NC and I think it was delivered from a dealer in Virginia. I guess I never realized that standard cabs had become so rare these days. But it makes since. Most people aren't as cheap as I am. :D

At any rate.. I use timbrens and they work great. Given their ease of install, use and price I'm surprised they don't get used more than airbags. Especially after having read so many accounts of airbags breaking when getting jostled around a bit.

yep, factory 3 leaf pack. Just double checked and counted them again just now. I assume it is american made.. I bought it new here in NC and I think it was delivered from a dealer in Virginia. I guess I never realized that standard cabs had become so rare these days. But it makes since. Most people aren't as cheap as I am. :D

At any rate.. I use timbrens and they work great. Given their ease of install, use and price I'm surprised they don't get used more than airbags. Especially after having read so many accounts of airbags breaking when getting jostled around a bit.

Very strange. Anyway.... A FWC looks good on a reg cab Tacoma, saw one this spring in Zion NP.

I do like my Timbrens. You are not supposed to lift or unweight a wheel with airbags or you risk tearing. Just not for me.

Back
Top Bottom