Alaska Travel

jncrowe12

Hello. I hope that I will find time to make a trip to Alasaka on my Coachmen V10 motorhome that I recently bought from local [SIZE=13.3333px]rv center[/SIZE] this year, can't wait anymore. But I have read many forums, blogs, comments etc. and got some doubts about Alaska travel, besides, I'm a beginner and have never practiced any camping or something else of that kind. I've never even been traveling such a long and far. But I still really want to start with Alaska, do you think Do you think at me will turn? Maybe you, experienced wolves, can suggest something crucial and essential to remember? Pleased to hear any advice. Thanks in advanse.

I'd learn everything I could about the motorhome for starters. Things like how the systems work, what to do if they don't work (like getting a stuck slide back in), how to winterize, what extras (fuses, etc.) to bring, and where stuff is would be high on my list. I'd also start with a few local trips to get comfortable with the rig.

There are a couple of folks here on the forum who have made the trip multiple times, so hopefully, they'll provide information on routes, places to see or avoid, how much bug dope to bring, etc.

Have fun, don't forget we want to see the trip report...:)

jncrowe12 said:
Hello. I hope that I will find time to make a trip to Alasaka on my Coachmen V10 motorhome that I recently bought from local [SIZE=13.3333px]rv center[/SIZE] this year, can't wait anymore. But I have read many forums, blogs, comments etc. and got some doubts about Alaska travel, besides, I'm a beginner and have never practiced any camping or something else of that kind. I've never even been traveling such a long and far. But I still really want to start with Alaska, do you think Do you think at me will turn? Maybe you, experienced wolves, can suggest something crucial and essential to remember? Pleased to hear any advice. Thanks in advanse.
We are now planning our 5th trip to Alaska this August. We don't drive the whole way there or back.
We use the ferry system up and drive/ferry home.
The ferry can be expensive for a motorhome.,but it is a nice way to travel.There are a lot of places to camp,RV parks and public lands campgrounds.
A visit to Delali is a must.You will need to make reservations for most of the visit there,but that's not a problem.
Do you have any idea as to when you want to go?
If you have specific questions I would be glad to answer as best as I can.
Frank

Grab your sense of adventure and go for it! Has always worked for me, not always according to plan but that is part of the adventure.

I would try shorter trips at first or just putt around the US for a week or two to get into a routine and to find any problems before heading into Canada to Alaska. It usually takes me and my traveling companions 2-3 days to get into a groove on long trips.

Thinks I feel are essential
Chilton Vehicle Manual - These tell you how to fix pretty much everything on your vehicle are custom to each make model and chassis. I have used mine for everything from rebuilding my motor to finding a obscure relay.
Small tool kit - sockets, wrenches, screw drivers,
Spare parts - Hose clamps, fuses, oil, duct tape, epoxy etc.
Case of beer - almost universal currency/conversation starter (ok maybe not essential but handy)
Good map book

Helpful threads:
Low Cost Mods - brilliant ideas. I have taken dozens of ideas from here.
There is more but I cant remember them.

Back
Top Bottom