All original truck/camper

jdonovan

Caretaker of a 1968 Chevy w/8'Alaskan Camper. I don't believe the camper has ever been off the truck. Was well used by original owners and obviously well taken care of. Propane tank is mounted under truck bed on passenger side...Joe

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 304
Welcome to the forum!
Does it have a catalytic propane heater? If so, purchase a battery operated CO2 detector before you go camping.
Mike

That's one nice rig jdonovan....

looks like a 10 gallon...you may need to have the tank re certified before it's filled....a great location to keep the gas...

The inside of the front door shows nice...that plywood is usually the first to go barring any leaks....well taken care of...

lucky guy ;)

Does have a catalytic propane heater and refrig. I was wondering if I would have problems filling the propane tank because of the age and location. Anyone recommend what's best for the wood...thanks..Joe

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 303
more pictures

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 243
I was wondering if I would have problems filling the propane tank because of the age and location. Anyone recommend what's best for the wood...thanks..Joe

Beautiful camper! And welcome to WTW!

You will have problems getting the old propane tank filled. Not sure if it can be retrofitted or not.

Not sure what type of wood product was used in these campers, but a basic rejuvenating oil would be good.

What are your camping plans?

Great pics Joe. I suggest you cut a thin piece of plywood to fit over the lower front window. Use velcro to attach it. Putting it in place at night will prevent your sleeping bag from getting wet from condensation.
I'm jealous of the wood inside your rig. Mine has a lot of photo finish composition type of material.

Mike

J, that's ash plywood and the finish on most of the originals was lacquer...tends to yellow with time.

That's pretty unbelievable woodwork....are you sure Michael J. Fox didn't fly in on that. ;)

We've seen a few with nice interiors, but that one takes the cake....oil won't do you any good on a lacquered surface....keep it clean...touch up any scratches before they get dirty with clear "Deft", semi gloss....use artists camel hair brushes and you'll keep it looking original.

Not sure I will do much camping it, but will take it to the local car shows during the summer...Joe

Joe,

you'll need a life size cardboard reproduction of the Ozzie, Dave and Ricky photo to go with it.....perfect use for that beauty.....

That picture was a promo for Alaskan Campers....you may have to contact Brian at Alaskan for the rights to use it....or maybe even a re printable copy of it ;)

Let us know when it's out of the barn and on display.....

everyone that goes in wears white gloves and puts those medical booties on :LOL: :rolleyes:

Where are you located....I'd drive a bit to see it ;)

I live in Massachusetts. I never heard of these campers. I own a 1966 F250 Camper Special that was originally from Oregon. I wrote the original owner a letter and he wrote back describing the Alaskan Camper that was on the truck and sent me pictures. When he sold the truck in the early 90's he sold the camper seperate. The hunt was on to find one. The campers are rare around here. When I saw the condition of this camper I decided to buy it with the intentions of putting the camper on the Ford. After learning about the history of the truck and reading the log the original owners kept I decided that I couldn't do that. They have to stay together. I will keep looking for another Alaskan Camper for the Ford, but it will have to be in good condition. Any leads let me know..Thanks..Joe

Attachments

• f250oregon2.JPG
    f250oregon2.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 193
  • f250oregon.JPG
    f250oregon.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 016 (3).JPG
    016 (3).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 197
Beautiful camper Joe, truly a classic. And even if you don't go camping per say, make sure she gets slept in once in a while. :)

I live in Massachusetts. I never heard of these campers. I own a 1966 F250 Camper Special that was originally from Oregon. I wrote the original owner a letter and he wrote back describing the Alaskan Camper that was on the truck and sent me pictures. When he sold the truck in the early 90's he sold the camper seperate.

Alright WTW'ers what are the chances the above camper is represented on the board? It would be awesome to track that original camper down and match it back up with that F250.

Back
Top Bottom