All terrain exterior storm window cover vs. Four Wheel interior cover

solinski

Greetings all! I didn't want to start a new topic but I could not locate any discussion on the soft window storm seal difference between Four Wheel and All Terrain. I'm seriously considering a new Bobcat. The Bobcat soft side windows require exterior storm covers. I recently sold a 2005 Four Wheel Eagle that did not need the exterior soft side window covers and I really liked the idea of not having to access and remove the exterior window storm covers. So far this exterior window covering is the only reason I still consider buying a Four Wheel instead of an All Terrain. Please chime in with your opinion on the All terrain exterior mounted storm covers vs. Four Wheel non exterior covers. I find the All Terrain Bobcat is exactly what I want except for the exterior access soft side storm covers. My camping season is all year but predominantly fall and winter.
Thanks for your input! Solinski

The exterior storm flaps are removable. We travel without them attached but have them available if the weather gets really nasty. The storm flaps velcro into place. Over the many years we have been in lots of nasty weather. Thus far, we have not used them, nor have we had any water come through to the interior.

I’d look at them as a bonus. I think if you remove them they pretty much the same window setup
As a FWC. I have a Bobcat and rarely use them. When I’ve camped in the winter they’ve been super valuable keeping the snow from sticking to the mesh.

hi Jeff and 3 pin.I certainly appreciate your input. Your comments help put my mind at rest concerning the storm covers.Both of you being skiers helps since you have experienced heavy weather. I hope to visit Marty at All Terrain very soon. Six Pac T100 in the photo is also sold so I am camper-less. I sure miss the comfort of a truck camper. Winter camping in a Toyota 4 runner was not fun last ski season.
Solinski

a little late to the party as usual, but i rarely use all of my windows, mostly because of time. When i do i just get the step ladder i use for bed and do a little climbing to get mine folded up. Most of the time it is just the one by the door. Having had interior ones and exterior ones, i feel the slight hassle of removal is worth the added protection to the windows themselves.

I also have a bobcat camper, I carry my storm flaps rolled up under the bench seat but have yet been in weather that I felt that I needed to use them. I’ve only camped in the summer so far though in the northwest. This is my second year of having my Bobcat camper and I can not say enough about it. Awesome camper.

My 2009 Bobcat has the attached storm flaps.I like them.They aren't a problem for me.
I use them for sun/rain shade.Find them very useful. Have PVC framework to hold them out from the window.
Framework stays with the flap and the top folds down over them.

There are photos on my blog of the flaps.Under the Yellowstone and Denali posts.

The new ATC campers I think come with unattached flaps that you can just put in place if needed.
As for the attached ones you can just keep them in the rolled up position.
Frank

hi Wango,Casa,and Pan. I appreciate your input on storm covers and comments on overall satisfaction with the Bobcat!
solinski

I have an ATC Puma with the removable flaps. Without the flaps, the windows leak. Had a FWC Hawk before this one, no leaks. I bought and carry a ladder now to be able to put the flaps on when it rains.

My camper appears to be a bit odd though, as others report no leakage. See my build thread for more details.

I leave the flaps on but rigged up some PVC pipe to turn them into window awnings. Top portion in place with velcro and bottom portion held outward with pvc pipe and velcro.

IMG_6971-X3.jpg

Over a year ago, Marty mentioned that they were switching to clear external flaps. I don’t know if that came to pass, but that would solve one of my biggest peeves about them. Too dark with them on and no airflow. But I learned the hard way, they are completely necessary in a rain storm. Or always pop up again after rain to dry out thoroughly. ALWAYS!

Bseek said:
Over a year ago, Marty mentioned that they were switching to clear external flaps. I don’t know if that came to pass, but that would solve one of my biggest peeves about them. Too dark with them on and no airflow. But I learned the hard way, they are completely necessary in a rain storm. Or always pop up again after rain to dry out thoroughly. ALWAYS!
Hi Bseek, I definitely agree with your storm flap peeve.The exterior storm flaps on All Terrain Bobcat are the major reason I will probably buy a FWC Fleet. I don't want to go outside when a snow storm or rain is brewing and install the flaps.Most of my camping is fall and winter. Am I lazy? yes! Am I old? yes! I find that laying in bed and watching the storm is an integral part of my ski or hiking trips. Storm flaps on and no view.
solinski

Solinski- I was a pretty fair weather traveler, but I really liked the ability to put them on if needed (rarely) and have them off when I didn’t. The ATC system allows you to control ventilation and light without going outside if the storm flaps are off. I loved falling asleep with the breeze on my face and sounds of the night all around.

I am short (5’4”) and was still able to get them up with just a step stool if I did it before popping all the way up.

I don’t have any experience with FWC, but the after sale service I got from ATC was so superb that I wouldn’t ever consider going with anyone else. And I loved being able to configure exactly what I wanted them to build instead of cookie cutter. But to each their own.

I have an older Eagle and had to have the vinyl replaced a few years ago. ATC did it and they did a great, quick job. The issue we have is the same as others mentioned. When it's raining or going to rain, you have to go out and put them on. We don't leave them on due to darkness and air flow. I will say that we have had some leaks w/o them on and I think it was either a) coming in on the seams or b) water building up at the base of the plastic windows. So, I've sealed the seams but we haven't been in rain yet again so don't know if that was/is the issue. I'd say I'm not overly happy with the external flaps and hate having to go out and put them on when it's raining and I didn't plan ahead.

Alvis said:
I leave the flaps on but rigged up some PVC pipe to turn them into window awnings. Top portion in place with velcro and bottom portion held outward with pvc pipe and velcro.

IMG_6971-X3.jpg
That looks like something I can do!

I just got my Bobcat earlier this year. I currently have the outside flaps off and have been out in some torrential rain. No leakage. The flaps were on for my three trips in February. While I'd like to have the light I have the liner up over the windows anyway for warmth.

teledork said:
That looks like something I can do!

I just got my Bobcat earlier this year. I currently have the outside flaps off and have been out in some torrential rain. No leakage. The flaps were on for my three trips in February. While I'd like to have the light I have the liner up over the windows anyway for warmth.
That is so weird that some leak and others do not. If you can, please post pictures of your window seams/folds. I posted mine in my build thread starting at post #206. There are FWC Hawk pics in post #202
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/18289-vics-new-2012-puma-build/page-21#entry235036

I had put some sealant on one of my Bobcat windows.
It seems the stitch holes were not as tight as others.
Is that the problem some are having.
I have flaps attached so it doesn't matter.
I only noticed them as sun shone through them.

Frank

We keep our storm flaps on all the time and just roll them up after popping the roof. The velcro holds them in place. Takes less than 5 minutes with the step stool we use at the camper door. If bad weather threatens, we just roll them down- takes even less time than rolling them up. We like the secure covering in heavy storms which we get regularly around here.

IMG_6444.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom