Aluminess Bumper Owners - I need help

Bombsight

Could you please provide detailed photos of your Aluminess bumper components?

Hinges, latches, underside, inside, etc, etc. (Close up photos).

Thanks in advance!

I would like to see the pics too because Aluminess told me that they do not and will not build bumpers to fit my 1993 Dodge W250 so I need to build one.

;-)

Regards,

Craig

I would like to see that too. I just want to see if I can modify my bumper brackets to fit the Aluminess bumper/and or Aluminess bumper brackets. Aluminess makes a bumper for the full size Nissan van, but not for the Nissan Titan.....I thought that was weird. And, I asked them about it, and they said they were too busy to try to take it on.

yes, Brover.

Kali .... that's my experience also. I even offered to drive out to California and leave my rig with them for weeks. No interest in my cash AT ALL.

I had a Aluminess on my 2003 Super Duty. I thought the overall design was fine and well built.

There were several design issues that bothered me.
1. With the tire carrier swing arm deployed and locked in place, I could not open the camper door and attach the door's gust lock. This could have been remedied by locating the swing arm gust lock about 10 degrees in the more open position.
2. Aluminess did not use a fixing jig to weld the brackets for the in-bumper lights. Once the lights were installed they were grossly misaligned. This required fabricating adapters to get the lights aligned in the holes.

There were a few other issues that were more inconveniences that I would have designed and fabricated differently if customer input was acceptable.

I have not bought an Aluminess for my 2016 Super Duty.

When the truck was new, I bought and installed a TrailReady front winch bumper. Very happy with the design and fabrication of this bumper! But, they forgot to weld the receiver into the bumper during fabrication! My money for this option was refunded but I had planned on using the front receiver. So all small boutique companies have their issues.

Trail Ready offered to make a custom rear bumper for my new Super Duty, but, we never discussed price. They would have needed the truck as well.

Even thought they do not advertise as fabricating for my Super Duty, CBI Offoad has told me several times if I stop by their shop in Idaho Falls, ID they will take all necessary measurements and design and fabricate a rear bumper for me. No idea of the cost.

Having visited CBI at the last several OXs, I am very impressed with both their design and fabrication skills. If you've welded for a living, you can see excellent fabrication technique and skillset in their products. For me, the downside to CBI, I'm not sure a single swingarm is capable of carrying the load of my spare tire AND other stuff. Nor does CBI offer a box on the rear such as Aluminess. I did not have an enclosed box on my Aluminess and that was a mistake as a lockable box would have been far more useful than the open-style 4 jerry can box I ordered.

The only issue I have making my own bumper, I don't have access to the large jigs and fixtures required to hold the plates square and at proper angles while welding. Do you need jigs and fixtures? Perhaps not if all the angles are 90', but, failing to use appropriate jigs/fixtures will give your project...well that back yard fabrication look IMO.

Advmoto18 said:
I had a Aluminess on my 2003 Super Duty. I thought the overall design was fine and well built.

There were several design issues that bothered me.
1. With the tire carrier swing arm deployed and locked in place, I could not open the camper door and attach the door's gust lock. This could have been remedied by locating the swing arm gust lock about 10 degrees in the more open position.
2. Aluminess did not use a fixing jig to weld the brackets for the in-bumper lights. Once the lights were installed they were grossly misaligned. This required fabricating adapters to get the lights aligned in the holes.

There were a few other issues that were more inconveniences that I would have designed and fabricated differently if customer input was acceptable.

I have not bought an Aluminess for my 2016 Super Duty.

When the truck was new, I bought and installed a TrailReady front winch bumper. Very happy with the design and fabrication of this bumper! But, they forgot to weld the receiver into the bumper during fabrication! My money for this option was refunded but I had planned on using the front receiver. So all small boutique companies have their issues.

Trail Ready offered to make a custom rear bumper for my new Super Duty, but, we never discussed price. They would have needed the truck as well.

Even thought they do not advertise as fabricating for my Super Duty, CBI Offoad has told me several times if I stop by their shop in Idaho Falls, ID they will take all necessary measurements and design and fabricate a rear bumper for me. No idea of the cost.

Having visited CBI at the last several OXs, I am very impressed with both their design and fabrication skills. If you've welded for a living, you can see excellent fabrication technique and skillset in their products. For me, the downside to CBI, I'm not sure a single swingarm is capable of carrying the load of my spare tire AND other stuff. Nor does CBI offer a box on the rear such as Aluminess. I did not have an enclosed box on my Aluminess and that was a mistake as a lockable box would have been far more useful than the open-style 4 jerry can box I ordered.

The only issue I have making my own bumper, I don't have access to the large jigs and fixtures required to hold the plates square and at proper angles while welding. Do you need jigs and fixtures? Perhaps not if all the angles are 90', but, failing to use appropriate jigs/fixtures will give your project...well that back yard fabrication look IMO.
The CBI is pretty awesome.

I have the single, and they can do a double for you if you ask btw.

You can order an aluminess box and bolt it to where the jerry can holder would be on the CBI. I have my spare, jerry, hilift, and a bike rack and bike on there all the time. no issues

I'll second CBI as a very good fabricator. I don't know if they're doing any aluminum but they will build just about anything that you want or need. I purchased an Aluminess box and incorporated it into my CBI bumper and single swing arm. Ron

Bombsight said:
Do tell, Craig!
Short version, customer service was rude. Mounting brackets arrived welded incorrectly (took a few hours to figure that out). Didn't even bother to expedite the shipping on the correct brackets. Huge gap between the bumper and the truck for which they sent out a couple of cosmetic pieces and told me to weld them on.

craig333 said:
Short version, customer service was rude.
Found them to be "Short" with me. Thought it was odd since I was willing to drive half way across America and give them almost 4 grand.

Broverderland, they make GMC bumpers ... up to the year 2014. Mine is a 2016. Not that far out of a request.

Regardless which fabricator you choose, if custom fabrication, expect to pay a handsome premium on top of the standard cost.

I used to keep my mill setup for specific cuts for one week then reset the following Monday. It took me about 2 hours to reset the mill and fixtures and get everything setup for a run. And that's with the G-Code already setup for toolpaths.

Aluminess will not do "one offs" because they are very busy and do not have time to reset the mills, lathes, jigs/fixtures for "one offs". Doing so, can take those machines out of the fabrication schedule for an entire day. Simply not worth their time and effort because I doubt anyone wants to pay the premium to take those machines off-line for a one-off.

I have always found the Aluminess owners (husband and wife) to be very friendly and helpful. Their son Michael worked on my bumper for about 2 hours to make all the minor issues right at OX-West 2015.

Last year when I called and inquired about a bumper for my 2016, the young man answering the phone was stand-offish, not very friendly and certainly did not have a can-do, customer comes first attitude. I asked to speak to Michael and was told he was in the shop and not to be interrupted. I left a message to have Michael call me. I never got the call. I'm more inclined to think the phone answering guy didn't give Michael the message because Michael always returned my calls when helping me with my first bumper.

So the Aluminess problem may be with one person, the phone guy. And you can't get past him.

nikonron said:
I'll second CBI as a very good fabricator. I don't know if they're doing any aluminum but they will build just about anything that you want or need. I purchased an Aluminess box and incorporated it into my CBI bumper and single swing arm. Ron
Ron...
Can you please post a picture(s) of the Aluminess box you incorporated into your CBI swingarm?
Thanks!
Bill

broverlanding_tacoma said:
The CBI is pretty awesome.

I have the single, and they can do a double for you if you ask btw.

You can order an aluminess box and bolt it to where the jerry can holder would be on the CBI. I have my spare, jerry, hilift, and a bike rack and bike on there all the time. no issues
What size wheel/tire are you carrying on the carrier?
My Super Duty wheel and tire weigh in at 97#. Why I have to go to Planet Fitness daily so I'm ready to lift this beast off the carrier...someday!!!!

20170504_155929_resized.jpg

Here it is.

Back
Top Bottom