Aluminum scratches

captainphx

Took the camper out the other day. Northern AZ. Went down some unbelievably dusty roads. When we got to a camp spot the back of the camper was covered in an amazing amount of dust/dirt. Used a whisk broom to clean it off. That was a mistake. It left many light scratch marks across the back of the camper in the aluminum. Anybody found anything to remove small scratches from aluminum?

So the scratches are in the paint then?

Hmmm, wax it?

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about painted or not. I thought that it was just a different kind of anodizing layer that gave it that silver look. But the frame around the door is bare aluminum and it also has light scratching as well.

Just tried the wax. Pretty much takes out the scratches on the painted (silver) part, but doesn't do much on the bare aluminum parts. Still, it looks much better. Thanks!

Capt., you might get those scratches out of the bare aluminum with compound followed by polishing compound depending on how deep they are. You'll have to do the entire piece to get the shine to match.

Yeah, I guess I didn't really think about painted or not. I thought that it was just a different kind of anodizing layer that gave it that silver look.

Before I ordered my camper I had FWC send me a sample of the silver siding, as I was seriously considering it. Today I dug it out and took a look at it, the outside face is painted and it does scratch really easily.

So, your camper has a painted exterior that scratches easily. :unsure: :(

I know how hard it was when I learned how easily my new kayak scratched.

It is best to learn to accept the scratches as part of the story of where your camper has been.

It is best to learn to accept the scratches as part of the story of where your camper has been.

Yeah, I agree. When I go down a narrow dirt road and trees scrape down the side, I can live with it. But when I inflict them, it's different!

Back
Top Bottom