Am I a candidate for a shell model?

DonC

You've probably seen a bunch of my questions on the front page over the last few weeks as I research FWC options. Stan's recent post of the 360 degree view of a shell got me thinking that maybe that's what I need. Most of my camping is on the east side of the Sierra and in the desert. Spring through Fall it is almost always nice weather and I always prefer to cook and eat outside and would use the camper only for sleeping. It will also be occasionally used as a telecommuting office, hanging out at Lee Vining using a broadband card, and "working". So I need a good place to sit with a table.

Even before thinking about getting a shell, this was my current thinking about options. So... maybe a shell is best for me anyway?

Frig - seems a Waeco or Engel in the cab is a good way to go as it helps with weight distribution. It's also easier to access during the day. If I usually cook outside, there is no reason for it to be in the camper.

Stove - I wanted an option that allowed me to take the stove outside to cook, so why build it in?

Heater - was probably going to go with a Wave, rather than the built in furnace. Even at that, won't be used very often, so I want the option of not taking it.

Cabinets - I was not sure all of those little cabinets were of much value. I would prefer fewer/larger areas where I could just put my tubs of stuff. Having cooking stuff and food in tubs makes it easier to take outside, where the majority of my cooking/eating is.

I've been climbing and hiking for 40+ years so I've spent a lot of time outdoors. But I've never had an RV, so I don't really know what I would find useful or not, since I've never had any of it.

How many of you have simple shells, or wish they went with a shell?

I appreciate comments about this, because its all new to me!

If you are handy with tools and building things like simple cabinets, going with a shell gives you the option of living in it for a while and then with that experience under your belt, designing the interior to what works for your needs. If I was buying new, this is the way I would go.

Exactly, if you're handy its a great way to go. Me I can electrical and plumbing, wood somehow eludes me. Thats why I did not go with a shell. Plus a bit of laziness. Don't discount the usefulness of heater just because you've had one. It does get chilly on the east side. Besides, aren't you getting a camper for "comfort"?

Sounds like a shell would fit your needs nicely. With the savings over a fully built interior you could even have a cabinite maker build some of the interior for you.

I have been working on plans for a shell build, there is a link below in my sig line.

I've been climbing and hiking for 40+ years so I've spent a lot of time outdoors. But I've never had an RV, so I don't really know what I would find useful or not, since I've never had any of it.

I appreciate comments about this, because its all new to me!

40 years good for you. A shell may be a good way to start and add as the years go and they do go fast. In 10 years you may enjoy the stove and refrigerator in the camper and can add. You will also camp longer and earlier with the 4WC.

Bill

I have a Bobcat shell to which I've added bench seats with storage that run the length of the camper on each side, and I've removed the two overhead bins. Added a window on the drivers side of the camper. I have a plastic chest for clothes under the camper window between the bench seats, and plastic shelves next to the door. A waeco refrigerator and all the camping stuff go in the truck (Frontier crew cab). Wave 3 installed perpendicular to the door down low. Plenty of room for two with gear with space left over. Comfortable to stretch out on cushions on the bench seats.

If the weather works this is an ideal setup. If it's cold or rainy, it could be improved upon. I'm not real impressed with the Wave 3, although maybe it should be pointed in a different direction, and it's kind of a pain to setup the propane tank and hose each time I want to use it. Also scrambling around in the rain to cook is difficult, maybe an awning would help, or have a portable setup to cook inside.

I've seen mention and pictures here about people who have the stove top and heater all in one cabinet-that might be the solution, not sure if I'm willing to give up the space.

I bought a beat up camper that was in very poor shape. It had been left in the rain for a few years and the interior needed to go. I tore out the cabinets and was planing on replacing them at one time, but after having a shell, I like the idea of being able to adapt to different seasons and activites. At first it was a place to live till the work situation improved, and now we use it for extended trips to supplement our backpacking. We have all the after market products to make these campers very comfy. Hot water via the ZODI and heat with the little buddy. We have an electric fridge powered by solar so there is really no suffering at all. I have been climbing and backpacking for 25+ years and like you, I enjoy being outdoors, but it is nice to sleep in a queen bed and get out of the rain. This website is a great source and the people on here are top notch. Welcome, -Joel

I have the new Fleet Cajita -- pretty much a square box in the bed of my Tacoma. I've only been out on "shake-down" trips, so far, but I'm convinced that those of us (minimalists) who aren't concerned much about appearances and keeping up with the Jones can be pretty happy with the shell only option.

I'm using the "tubs method" you describe here, Don. I have a big tub with all kinds of basic camping gear plus a smaller tub for a clothes cabinet. Then I add a collapsible canvas box and a couple of cardboard boxes for holding stuff that's sort of in use. I have a small space heater and a small (desktop) fan for HVAC and an ice chest for refrigeration. A third sealable tub holds non-perishable foodstuffs (utensils, etc. are in the gear box).

When in transit, the bins (tubs) rest on the floor; while encamped, I put them up on the sides (where built-ins reside in most campers). This lowers my center of gravity enroute and makes the option of pulling stuff out for outdoor cooking and for storage pretty simple. I can re-stock my gear box and launder/repack my clothing bin with ease.

Like Don, I'm viewing my rig as a bedroom, office and storage shed. My living will take place outside, for the most part. And being able to pull a couple of containers, an ice chest and my camp stove out and slap them on the old picnic table makes cooking/serving/eating more convenient than at home.

Please keep my initial caveat in mind: I'm just starting to experiment with my rig. I'm hoping to weigh anchor for an extended trip – hopefully coast-to-coast – in about a year; but I wouldn't feel confident undertaking such an adventure right now. In a year I hope to have really tested the utility of my theory with a number of shorter outings.

One other variable worth considering is that I'm a solitary traveler. I'm not at all sure the shell option (particularly the very small Cajita model) would work for many couples. True, it's a step up from tent camping, but it's not really much of a "home away from home" and I suspect two bodies in that space would spend a lot of time in each others' way.

There's a tendency, I've observed, to celebrate the adding of features to rigs. It's typical for folks to suggest that shell owners build cabinets or add appliances. While there's a clear value and utility to such enhancement, I think the point Don (and I) might wish to emphasize is that there's also a benefit to NOT adding layers of complexity to the camping experience. Sometimes a cardboard box is a great choice for storing marshmallows. Maybe it's the Thoreau in me; I like to simplify!

Good comments by all.

While I am looking to go simple I mainly asked the question because I don't know what I don't know. I've slept in the dirt, bivied on the side of El Cap and Half Dome, and in - 20 degrees in Alaska for so long, that it doesn't take much to have greater comfort than I usually have. However, I'm not above being a little more comfortable in my "old age", and am really enjoying this web site and learning from others. Running water... a frig... heater. Wow, sound good to me!

Good comments by all.

While I am looking to go simple I mainly asked the question because I don't know what I don't know. I've slept in the dirt, bivied on the side of El Cap and Half Dome, and in - 20 degrees in Alaska for so long, that it doesn't take much to have greater comfort than I usually have. However, I'm not above being a little more comfortable in my "old age", and am really enjoying this web site and learning from others. Running water... a frig... heater. Wow, sound good to me!

I have a 2007 All Terrain Camper shell with the couch on the driver's side. As a minimalist, it works fine for me. If it rains or snows, I hang out under the awnings. For heat, I use a Buddy Heater or a Coleman Cat--simple, light and cheap. I can make coffee or heat soup on my old backpackers' stove if I really have to be inside.

ATC in a graupel T-storm, Picketwire Canyon, CO:
gallery_172_19_174358.jpg

Minus 3F. at El Moro, NM:
gallery_172_60_136113.jpg

Rainy day at Rocky Mnt NP, CO:
gallery_172_50_40909.jpg

ATC in the mud after a night of rain near Canyonlands, UT.
gallery_172_38_160485.jpg

15F. degree morning at Pyramid Lake, NV:
gallery_172_14_204347.jpg

ATC in a graupel T-storm, Picketwire Canyon, CO:

Minus 3F. at El Moro, NM:

Rainy day at Rocky Mnt NP, CO:

ATC in the mud after a night of rain near Canyonlands, UT.

15F. degree morning at Pyramid Lake, NV:

And that is why I am looking forward to having a truck camper!

DON C,

I had a Full Grandby camper for 7 years sold it for a variety of reason and when I came around to wanting another one, I opted for the shell version. I started a post back on July 20th on the FWC Grandby Shell I purchased back in March 2010. Photos of the interior included. Link shown below. Just some more ideas regarding the possibilities. Good Luck!

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/4916/

TK

Hi,
I bought a new Eagle Shell several years ago and I am very happy that I took that approach. There are several reasons:

* I do woodwork, so I was able to do the cabinets, etc.
* I don't care for being in a situation where I am dependend on 'power'. The whole idea with this kind of camper is getting away from these kinds of dependencies. Otherwise, hey, buy a Winabego. Thus:
* I didn't care about having a refirgerator (I traveled all over the Yukon in a tent for a year and found that trying to refrigerate stuff by buying ice, etc. was a pain and actually not really needed. We found great ways to work around it. Now, if you live in the south, this might be a different situation.
* Having a powered pump for H20 is nice, but not needed. Just one more need for power, and it breaks.
* So, the ONLY thing I use power for is the LED lighting (which is really minimal), and the fan for the heater which is hard to do without in this part of the country cause we camp in the Winter.

So SIMPLE. The less junk you have, the less to worry about.

Cheers,

Yukon

Don,

A shell is what you want. In 96 I built a poptop for my wife's nissan pickup and we lived in it for a year. It was basic dry shelter up off the ground, compared to tenting it in the dirt/mud it was heaven. We then used it for vacations and weekends for 12 years. Then we bought a new Frontier and the homemade camper didn't fit. We camped out of the truck with a basic shell for two years and then decided we needed another popup. Working fulltime meant I couldn't build another and after much research we got an eagle shell. With a catalytic heater it's pretty much deluxe camping in any conditions. In good weather we are outside unless we are sleeping. In bad weather we can hunker down inside with heat and dryness. What more could you want? Go light and lean, you won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom