an alaskan camper on a trailer?

ntsqd said:
I have seen fold-away hand rails for class A's. No idea if one long enough is available or not. This is something that a talented welding or blacksmith shop could make or modify easily enough. I know just the guy in the 93003 area.
Like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/lend-a-hand-rv-hand-rail-sparkling-silver/29043

Were I personally going to put a camper on a trailer I would do it on a gooseneck trailer and have a "built-in deck" from the remaining trailer deck. Those tow and back-up easier than a bumper-tag trailer too.
Thanks for the link. That foldaway handle looks promising. I will need to take some measurements and see how that would fit in with a handrail. As it happens, I too know a talented welder who lives down the way. I can always call on him to make or modify something I come up with. Yes your comments regarding the trailer are noted. As it happens, I think I do have the capability to haul a gooseneck with the set up in the bed of my truck. But more and more, the handrails, grab bars, etc and better on and off loading are looking mighty good.
Thanks.

To me, it is a decision based on what kind of camping you want to do and budget. I had a large (11' 6") Arctic Fox truck camper and my wife had difficulties dealing with the steps and going up and down to the overhead. I sold the AF and bought a 28' travel trailer. Now if we go to a campground, she is happy and comfortable......but that left me without the ability to go off-road back to remote sites where there are no campgrounds. When I saw the Alaskan up for sale, I knew that was what I needed for the best of both worlds. I pull the trailer with a one ton dually and can mount the Alaskan on either the dually or a 1/2 ton Chevy with beefed suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 132
wild said:
To me, it is a decision based on what kind of camping you want to do and budget. I had a large (11' 6") Arctic Fox truck camper and my wife had difficulties dealing with the steps and going up and down to the overhead. I sold the AF and bought a 28' travel trailer. Now if we go to a campground, she is happy and comfortable......but that left me without the ability to go off-road back to remote sites where there are no campgrounds. When I saw the Alaskan up for sale, I knew that was what I needed for the best of both worlds. I pull the trailer with a one ton dually and can mount the Alaskan on either the dually or a 1/2 ton Chevy with beefed suspension.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Your first sentence expresses our situation at this point in our life. What we want to do and are able to do comfortably and safely are not the same now. So, we will keep playing with different options and adjustments to make a situation work for us. Definitely, our Alaskan Camper will be the major part of that situation.

Be aware the nco 10 ft can be heavy in the rear end so they need to be moved forward or rouge weight added my front end of my trailer came off the ground I just moved the propane up front and moved the camper forward until I had 110 tougne
weight

One more reason to mount on trailer is you can pull it with a lot more types of vehicles

Back
Top Bottom