Another 1/2 Ton versus 3/4 Ton Truck Question

Spitfire

Hello,

I'm fairly new here and have been reading all the great information that's here. I'm just starting research into eventually getting a FWC Hawk in a year or so but first I have to get a new truck. After reading quite a bit, the consensus seems to be to just get a 3/4 ton truck if I can. I do have a question though. It seems that most people who have 1/2 ton trucks need to modify the suspensions in some way either by adding airbags, modifying the rear springs and/or upgrading the tires. If I did get a 3/4 ton, would I have to do any of this or can I just use it the way it comes without any mods. Thanks in advance .

Don

I had my Grandby on an F150, managed although woefully underpowered for Western Mountains. I had airbags on it which helped with staying level but all the limits were of course still there. I never weighed it but I am sure I was well over capacity when loaded. I picked up a used F250 and replaced the rear springs with stockers as they were sagged out and added airbags, again to make sure I could keep it level, front/rear and side to side. With 200-300 lbs of trailer hitch, 3 dogs, my daughter, and a full load of gas, water, 2 camper batteries, etc the rig is at capacity. I think you can do what you want without any changes, I sometimes run a front rack and rear so I push it.

My 3/4 ton Dodge is fine with a Granby on it. The suspension is stock, with the exception of new shocks (I have 200,000 miles on it).

I had a '95 dodge 3/4 ton and it needed nothing to haul around my Grandby. My newer 2002 Chevy 3/4 ton needed air bags to get level. But the Chevy rides like a car and the old Dodge road like a 3/4 ton truck :D

Other than the air bags on the Chevy I did nothing to either truck to haul the FWC. I didn't even change the wiring, I just used the factory towing/RV wiring to power the camper.

A 3/4 ton will provide confidence. Greater weight capacity and more importantly, larger brakes and stopping ability.
My rig (see below) does not even compress the forth leaf spring in the rear. No swaying and comfortable to drive.

To sum it up:

"I would rather be looking at it, than looking for it".

DR

I have a 3/4 ton Dodge that doesn't budge an inch with a regular hard shell camper on top and tandem axle trailer behind it. Suspension is factory original. Beats your kidneys to drive it, but it's the real deal...

Prior to that, I had various half ton and midsized pickups. Mileage dropped like a rock whenever pulling, and I needed to constantly mess with airbags. I finally decided that if I am going to get horrible mileage, I might as well get horrible mileage and be in a 3/4 ton rig. People rarely bring up braking, but I think the biggest issue is the fact that 1/2 tons simply can't stop as well when loaded down....

The 3/4 ton gets the same crappy mileage no matter what I'm doing / pulling. This is not my daily driver, so the only time it leaves the driveway is when I'm using it. I will never go back to a half ton or mid-sized rig.

People rarely bring up braking, but I think the biggest issue is the fact that 1/2 tons simply can't stop as well when loaded down....

Comes up quite a bit on here actually. That is usually one of our bigger complaints. Air bags are fairly inexpensive/easy to add. Doing a major break upgrade is expensive if you were wanting to stay in 1/2 and get the increased breaking.

I have a Chevy 1500, have 105K on it and never had any major problem with it. My problem was that I also tow a 18' HewesCraft fishing boat. After much research decided that the Hawk was the best bet for me. I weighted the boat unloaded and loaded, weghted the truck the same and weighted the boat connected to the truck. Did the calculations and figured that I was going to be pretty close to or little over my weight capacity.

I was going on a fishing trip to the Flaming Gorge last June which was about a month and half before my Hawk was ready to P/U. I considered going with airbags, problem is I am lazy and wanted to be able to adjust the bags on the fly. Having the remote in the cab of truck put the cost of air bags out of my price range.

I heard alot of good things about the Roadmaster Active Suspension and went with it instead and still have tha stock suspension. One of the best buys I have made. Was inexpensive, little over $300 http://www.activesuspension.com/. What a difference it made when towing the boat. When I added the Hawk the rear did not sag at all and I get no sway in the rear. I have left the camper on since it has been installed and the truck handles great, sometimes I forget its there. You do have to start braking earlyier then what you are use to. Gas milage suffers when also pulling my boat and were loaded up with gear.

I also had to beef up my tires to E rated tire. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed that the truck won't have any thing major happen to the drive train.

I almost got into an accident in my F150 with camper as I was almost not able to stop fast enough in traffic entanglement. No such issues in my 250. If you plan on doing any off-roading at all its probably a good idea to upgrade the stock tires regardless of what type of truck you get. I went ahead and got airbags on my 250 as it made the ride a lot better without the camper - reducing "roll" off road.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. Lots of good information here and I look forward to one day getting a camper so I can join in.

Ditto that on 3/4 tons.

As you know Jay, the Diesels do better.
I'm getting ~16 mpg. Plus, at 7.3L, the thing downright moves when my foot does!

How do the Cummin's perform?

(P.S. I'm a Dodge bro in my previous life!)

No suspension mods on mine either. Rides much better with the camper but most all trucks do better with some weight in the bed.

The cummins is horrible. I hate the thought of getting a speeding ticket while I'm passing someone going uphill :)

Well, I got a new truck a lot sooner than I thought I would. I got a great deal on a 2011 Silverado LT 2500HD extended cab with the 6.0 gas engine so I went for it.. It'll definitely be a while until I get a camper but at least I have a truck for it now.

Congratulations on the new truck. You won't regret going the 3/4 ton route!

I have been been pricing out a similar truck (2012 crew cab LTZ 2500HD) and would like to hear your impressions, especially the gas mileage. I have heard everything from 12 to 17 empty on the highway. Hopefully the six speed trans will help.

Oh, we won't believe it until you post pics. :D

Congratulations on the new truck. You won't regret going the 3/4 ton route!

I have been been pricing out a similar truck (2012 crew cab LTZ 2500HD) and would like to hear your impressions, especially the gas mileage. I have heard everything from 12 to 17 empty on the highway. Hopefully the six speed trans will help.

Oh, we won't believe it until you post pics. :D

Guess I'll have to take some pictures. :)

Guess I'll have to take some pictures. :)

Finally took some pictures. New Chevy Truck 006A.jpg

Good looking truck, I like the color.
Looks a little lonely though, I think it wants a Hawk on it's back!

I have been hearing 16 to 18 MPG empty highway on these, any confirmation?

Back
Top Bottom