Another Maiden Voyage

Tony

I wasted no time after mounting the new FWC Grandby in Flagstaff and two days later, I headed out into western Arizona for a little R&R. The weather was ideal as I headed west out of Wickenburg along the Joshua Tree Parkway. I cut off onto the 17 Mile Road and found a quiet spot for a couple of days.

Attachments

• Joshua-Tree-Parkway.jpg
    Joshua-Tree-Parkway.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 236
  • First-Camp.jpg
    First-Camp.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 257
Another perfect morning found me making the Big Sandy Crossing and a quick trip into the old mine camp of Signal. I wandered up into the hills and found a pretty camp overlooking a sandy wash for the night. The next morning, I went back up the Big Sandy and made a fuel stop in Wikiup, AZ. I still had plenty of fuel but I knew I was headed for a 40 mile round trip into Burro Creek and you never know....better a full tank than a half empty one in the back country. The Burro Creek Crossing road was freshly graded so I didn't even air down the tires on the way in and met only 5 vehicles, all on their way out. That creek crossing looked deeper than I normally cross when all alone but I could still see the wet wash marks from the folks I met so I plunged in and made the crossing. On the far side, I could see that the water had been over my running boards but the bottom was solid all the way across the ford.

Attachments

• Saguaro.jpg
    Saguaro.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Cactus Sunrise.jpg
    Cactus Sunrise.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Burro-Creek-Crossing.jpg
    Burro-Creek-Crossing.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 184
The Burro Creek Crossing was worth the stress as I found the creek upstream to be deserted and picture perfect. Who knew the AZ desert would have such great autumn foliage photo ops!! I beat it out of there for the night and the next day made my last night's stop back near Wickenburg along Date Creek. It was close enough to the highway for the road noise to slowly bring me back to urban reality but I did get a picture of the Arizona "purple sky" at sunset.

Can't wait for the next trip and I know the Grandby is going to be a really grand travel partner for years to come.

Attachments

• Burro-Creek-Reflections.jpg
    Burro-Creek-Reflections.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Last-Camp.jpg
    Last-Camp.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Purple-Sky.jpg
    Purple-Sky.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 182
Nice shakedown run, congrats on the new camper. Beautiful desert pics!

We agree with Mr. Sun. Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Looks like a really nice time and we very much enjoyed your photos. I think we are also catching radiused rear door envy.

Back
Top Bottom