Another rear awning.

Wouldn't the water just run off the roof under the awning and dribble down the rear wall and the door? Might get pretty wet under there! Since I mostly use my awnings for protection from the rain, this wouldn't work well for me.

I've used my rear awning three times since getting my Hawk last summer with mixed results. On first several day camp out in Oregon Cascades, I put it up just to see how it worked. Worked fine and the support tubes being horizontal proved useful as a clothesline for towels, etc instead of string a line to a tree or between the jack plates.

The second time, was at Fort Stevens SP near Astoria, and it reduced the rain blowing into the camper. The third time was in DVNP for reducing sun coming into the camper. However, a stiff wind came up and while it was easy to crank in the side awning, dropping the rear awning with the top up became a keystone cops exercise to drop the awning without dropping the top.

I have two primary complaints about the factory rear awning. The design is fine but material choices are not ideal. I would have preferred the poles to be aluminum rather than steel and the fly to be coated rip stop nylon tent material instead of the pop up wall material. This would make it better by reducing both the weight and length of the packed awning.

There is no easy place to store it other than across the camper between the front dinette table and the front window. While it can ride there, it interferes with closing the front curtains, opening the front window, and its length (64") is enough to push the dinette back cushions off their velcro attachments on washboard roads as its 11 lbs bounces up and down.

I'm looking to get a boat canopy maker to fabricate two aluminum tubes similar to the factory steel ones that can break down in the center, and to modify a "Quickshade" wall panel to substitute for the heavier vinyl awning.

YMMV as usual.
Paul

ETAV8R said:
I like the compactness of the shadyboy. Wonder if it will hold up to desert winds though.
Over on American Adventurist there was a big rally this weekend and a number of the guys had Shady Boy awnings up plus I heard it was windy enough to destroy a couple of staked down Easy-Ups. I'll ask and see what they said...

On another note I was thinking of fabricating my own rear awning with the same materials that I'm making my outside shower from.
2 flag Pole mounts which pivot and lock at the base, and a long piece of 1" Pecs pipe.

100acrehuphalump said:
a long piece of 1" Pecs pipe.
My only concern using PEX pipe is UV light. It will not take long for PEX to become brittle if exposed to sunlight in the long term.

Why not a long piece of double butted, thin walled aluminum tube as used in Bimini tops?

ETAV8R said:
I like the compactness of the shadyboy. Wonder if it will hold up to desert winds though.
This is what Shadyboy says: For use during moderate windy conditions we have optional downdraft poles available. I didn't buy a Shadyboy because it looked like it wouldn't survive even a stiff breeze.

The response I got from Shady Boy:

"The Shady Boy awning with the silver fabric sells for $315.CAD or $300. US if shipped to the US.
Installation is easy with basic tools.
Stainless steel mounting brackets are $30. if needed.
Optional downdraft poles are $36.
Awning case is clear anodized. Length is 48 inches , fabric size is 10 by 6 feet.
Optional black anodized cap is $35.
Cost of shipping depends on where you are."

I would never use an EZ Up. Far too heavy and bulky to carry. I do carry and use an REI Alcove with great results in all kinds of conditions. For a few years I've been wanting a Fiama F35 Pro. The Shady Boy looks like a more compact package and is a little bit cheaper.

A bunch of people chimed in over on the American adventurist forum about the Shadyboy and they all ranted and raved about how well it handled high winds. There is talk of doing a group buy. The price is around $400 but it may come down if enough are ordered. Many people are jumping on that bandwagon.
On the rear awning note...I'm gonna fab up my own using two adjustable flag pole mounts. Up and horizontal for an awning and down and flush to the wall for traveling. I may use the rear awning space to set up my shower area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 141
My home-made rear awning firmly staked out in high winds during a lightning storm. Note ladder for installing and removing awning while top is popped.

A Shadyboy wouldn't last a New York minute in winds like this.

Back
Top Bottom