Another Rear Awning....

davinski

Been busy today...
Well, I have been using a nylon tarp for a rear awning. Works ok and I attached it via rope and grommets to the Rack on top of the Hawk. Some expandable poles held it out and it had to be guyed out well with stakes to keep it from falling. Worked OK. Not fast to set up. Held up to light winds only, but kept that pesky rain off.

Then I saw this awning at Cabelas that others have pointed to. Got me a gift certificate, so what the hay. You can check it out at these links:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0019861521201a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=awning&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=awning&noImage=0

Or at the manufacturers web site:

http://www.sportshade.com/

It has had some not so good reviews, but it is relatively cheap and seemed easy to setup.

A few caveats....it is a sun shade. I really want it for rain. We'll see how it works. I do like the fact that it is about 6 feet wide, just about right for the back of the Hawk. It extends about 7 feet, well enough for the door. It is portable, so I could set it up on the side as well. I already have a Shady Boy on the Passenger side, so that side is covered! (The Shady Boy does work very well......except it doesnt cover the rear door)

I received it last week and opened it. Not the best construction. Flimsy metal case. Plastic end pieces. fabric is a very thin plastic or vinyl. Silver on the top, darker grey on the bottom. Mine has a few blemishes from the case on it....no holes though. Tie downs, stakes, screws are all cheap metal. Expect much rust soon. Sewing on straps is already coming undone. Guy lines are very thin nylon "string" that automatically retracts into the case. This is nice, but the stake is cheap metal. I don't know what will break first, the string or the retraction mechanism. Mine came with two nylon bags that can be filled with rocks or sand and used as guy anchors. There is also a small piece of canvas that can act as a sign if you choose. It also serves as the case for the entire unit. Velcro is used to attach it and it does have sewn in handles that are already coming apart. End poles are metal. When retracted they are held by plastic clips....They don't hold the poles well. I'll probably replace with a velco strap soon.

OK. Set up was easy. Not fast, but easy. See the website for a video. Below, I have pictures of the setup. Since it weighs about 10 pounds, it ain't too bad. Don't think I would trust it for long trips or in bad weather. Since the mechanism pulls away from the rig and is lower than the rest of the awning, I would assume water would run right into it. Probably need to make one leg higher so water will run off. I have yet to test this.

I set it up with the camper down....didn't have time to test it up. This might make a difference. Will try next sunny spell before taking it out in the rain. I wouldn't even try snow with this thing.

Overall, looks like the bag awnings out there. In fact, the bag awnings might be better. I'll see how it works on the next few outings. I suspect it will work for sun, maybe rain. I think I'll probably have to look for something more robust in the future. What I'd really like is a light weight, easy to use awning for the rear. Haven't seen one yet.

Here are some pics. Anyone else have any new rear awnings not yet discussed here?

First few pics is of the packaging....
Then one with the awning attached to my Yakima rack system on the Hawk.
Then one with a closeup of the end with leg and guy lines visible.
More pics in next post....

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 486
Some more photos...
first is an overall view with my fancy paint can anchors.
second, a close up of the driver side showing the leg and guy line....

For some reason, I can only upload 2 photos...

Do let me know what you think...

Dave in Seattle

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 488
even more photos...
first a closeup of the driver side leg and guy line.
Then one from inside the camper...
then one from a little close for an overall look.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 469
This may be a stupid question but why would you want a rear awning/tarp if you already have one on the side of the camper. I'm from southern Calif so take it easy on me.

An awning off the rear would be nice if it starts to rain. You can still sit outside and go in and out of the camper. Plus one awning never really shades where you want to sit anyway.

Nice review of the product and install davinski. Nice photos to complete the visual. Thanks for taking time to document the process and post up your results.

Bteam:

Well, gotta remember, up here Seattle way we do get lots of rain. When I lived in Cali, the sun was a killer. Nothing like a blistering sun beating down on you somewhere in Joshua tree to really get things toasty. Lots of shade was always nice. Now, i deal with the liquid sunshine.

The side shady boy is really nice when staying put for some time. Lots of space, keeps me dry and I mostly cook and do stuff outside. A small table, some chairs, I am set. What really irks me is getting in and out of the camper and getting wet. Sometimes, it is nice to stand at the back, take off some of the wet clothes and gear before getting in. I often will hang stuff off the back and having the back awning is just more convenient. Sometimes, if I am out and there is a light rain on a warm day, I just like to keep the door open for a breeze.

Basically, it just boils down to personal preference. I do plan to hit the great basin next spring and summer. If it is anything like Hell's canyon, I'll need all the shade I can get.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom