Another roof rack thread...

UglyScout

Contributors
I just finished my roof rack and thought I would share the details.

I went with 3 cross bars made from 1.5"x1.5"x.120" aluminum. I set them on 6" pieces of the same material that I angle cut at the ends so I could screw them to the camper (I saw that method somewhere on here -- THANKS!!)

I put one at the front over the front wall, one at the back as far back as I could go and one just behind the roof vent. I then built a tray between the rear two bars out of a flat sheet of scrap aluminum.

I welded everything together with a mig spool gun.

Here is the tray. It is 18.5" between the rails, so a 5 gallon NATO gas can just fits when on its side - as do the smallish 8 gallon rubbermaid action packers and water jugs.

gallery_2579_124_409764.jpg

Nothing pretty, but it doesn't weigh much and should last forever.

Here is a shot of my new to me truck with the camper - just before the roof rack project...

gallery_2579_124_611165.jpg

Looks good. Your welds look great for a first time if that is what you did.

Thanks - I've had the spool gun for almost 2 years and only used it once to see if it worked.

I'd never welded aluminum prior to this project - you really have crank up the heat and move fast! And not nearly as forgiving as mild steel.

Looks good. Very similar to what I did with diamond plate, wish I had the forethought to tighten the gap between bars for the exact fit for jerry cans like you did, very nice.

Attachments

• overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 156
Scout, I see in your first pic that you have a significant rear rain gutter. I have the same one. And in your second pic I see that you have the roof lifters. Do you have them in the rear? I can't seem to figure out how to get them attached in the rear with that large sized gutter. Can you send a rear pic of your lifters?

Scout, I see in your first pic that you have a significant rear rain gutter. I have the same one. And in your second pic I see that you have the roof lifters. Do you have them in the rear? I can't seem to figure out how to get them attached in the rear with that large sized gutter. Can you send a rear pic of your lifters?

Yes and yes. I will try and get the pics tonight.

I'm not sure who I copied for mine. Just waiting till i get a solar panel to do the third bar.
rack.jpg

I think the key is to get the off-set brackets for the rear lower lifter mount, which should clear the gutter. I got mine from Marty and they work fine on '08 Hawk.

I think the key is to get the off-set brackets for the rear lower lifter mount, which should clear the gutter. I got mine from Marty and they work fine on '08 Hawk.

I bought the offsets, the ones everyone has mentioned in the lifter thingy thread, but my gutter appears to stick out too far for the brackets to clear it.

Back
Top Bottom