Another Sprinter convert

Andy, congrats. We will all be looking forward to your build. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Stone grey is the best of all sprinter colors.
We sold our stone grey 2014 sprinter with a sportsmobile top this summer.
Our was 2wd, but we 100% require 4wd where we now live.
We also are 300 miles away from closest authorized sprinter service and that wasn't acceptable for our usage of free time.
Issues come up with modern German diesels and I couldn't justify spending multiple days to get them attended to; this wasn't an issue when we were 15 miles away from the sprinter center.
the sprinter-source website is a good resource.

Be careful if you install a CR Lawrence T vent window in your slider door.
This is a known easy break in point on these vans.
People pry open the vent, breaking the internals of the window, pop out the screen and open the lock on the slider door.
Never leave the window open while away from the van on a hike or surf or whatever.

You'll enjoy your sprinter.
They are pretty cool.

Looking forward to your build. Good friend has one with the 5 cyl diesel. Damn thing always gets over 20MPG. If the price was not so high on the base unit.

Thanks guys!
Onefin, you make a good point and I just received my CRL T vent windows! If I can use a friend's shop this weekend, I hope to install both side windows, both rear fixed windows and cut in the maxxair vent. It's going to be some serious butchery ; )

I'll take a look at how to secure the sliding door. Maybe I'll just unscrew the lock push pin when we leave the van.

Lighthawk said:
...................................................... If I can use a friend's shop this weekend, I hope to install both side windows, both rear fixed windows and cut in the maxxair vent. It's going to be some serious butchery ; )
Nothing like digging in and getting committed! :)

Have fun!

I just LOVE hacking into a brand new van!! It's satisfying to be the one for first blood on a paint job! Have fun! In another post Rivnuts can be a good friend on this type of build I'm green w/envy

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

ski3pin said:
Nothing like digging in and getting committed! :)
Like a good carpenter, I will measure twice, or thrice, and cut :eek: once!

And, I will have one of my guys there to help me out inside a well organized shop.
I'm coming off a hand injury, so I could use the help with managing the heavier work.

billharr said:
Looking forward to your build. Good friend has one with the 5 cyl diesel. Damn thing always gets over 20MPG. If the price was not so high on the base unit.
Not to get on a soapbox :) , but I will address the issue of the cost of the base unit, which was certainly part of the calculation for us.

When you price the cost of a new 4wd pickup (diesel or high mpg gasser) plus the cost of a FWC/ATC shell, it adds up to the cost of a 4wd Sprinter. From there each will require a build out to your level of comfort and vehicle capabilities. I just found the van form factor to have a cleaner exterior package without the necessity to lift the top, and a lower living floor. Different strokes . . .

Lighthawk said:
Not to get on a soapbox :) , but I will address the issue of the cost of the base unit, which was certainly part of the calculation for us.

When you price the cost of a new 4wd pickup (diesel or high mpg gasser) plus the cost of a FWC/ATC shell, it adds up to the cost of a 4wd Sprinter. From there each will require a build out to your level of comfort and vehicle capabilities. I just found the van form factor to have a cleaner exterior package without the necessity to lift the top, and a lower living floor. Different strokes . . .
Do you foresee this limiting your off-road capability?

Yes, the Tundra has 12" of clearance, and the Sprinter is closer to 10 to 11", and there's less articulation. However, they run the White Rim, and routes like Lippincott are possible. I'm willing to trade a ten percent reduction in off-road capability for the amenities and mileage. Maybe I'm just getting older, cough, cough . . . mature.

" limiting off road abilities"
For me this goes to the question or adage, "how much or how little do you want to push the rig you have to get home in"?
I wanted 4 wheel for sand or snow, and to get off the county road a bit. But I have to get back out too, and frequently travel with no other vehicles. And frequently see no other vehicles. So I try to leave the real " off-roading" to,two feet or two wheels.
How does this factor into others thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Progress today. :D :D :D
An old friend gave me access to his sign shop with roll up 12' door and well lit and equipped shop.
I had ordered four CRL windows; a t-vent on each side, plus two fixed rear windows, and a Maxx-air roof vent.
I asked one of my installers if he would help me out on a Saturday and offered him overtime since he had already worked a full week. He joined me and was invaluable. We both learned a lot and would be a crack team on another window install! :oops: I was able to be #1 helper, but with a healing hand, I was glad to delegate the heavy cut work to Rodney.

We worked a full day starting at 8am and cut out both side windows and the rear windows by 1pm.

Rodney drilled out the corners and used my Bosch jig saw to cut out the sheet metal. I brushed on oil based primer on the raw edges after dressing them with a half round file and 80 grit. We also cut in the 14x14 roof vent hole.Both side windows require sucking up the external gasketed window against the interior trim ring. I shot every other screw, tightening as I went around, then adding more screws until I sucked the window up to the trim ring.

Unfortunately, I do not have the edge trim for the two rear windows until tomorrow. I called every body shop, glass shop and auto shop asking for the edge trim, but had to go with 2 day ship from Amazon. The trim for the back two cutouts is due Sunday, before 8pm. :oops:

I've done a few birding runs with the Sprinter. It serves as nice blind to shoot from inside.
It's a joy to drive the smooth tracking rig and driving while sitting high gives a fantastic view.

As noted, the exterior windows are installed and the roof vent. Soon, I will have some graphics on the exterior, advertising my remodeling company, and it will serve as a work vehicle for a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom