Another tie-down thread...

bajafshrman

Advanced Member
I noticed the rear turnbuckle eye loops were bent...

bent?.jpg

Took it off and sure enough, failure about to happen...

failure.jpg

Did I over tighten them? Maybe… but I tried to be gentle and went by hand and then just half a turn with the screwdriver for leverage. The camper sat well and didn't move around and I do a lot of off road driving, no choice where I live, so I think the tie downs worked well but maybe the stress was just a bit too much for them.

Anyway, I figured there has to be a better solution so we welded up these brackets and added a gusset to give it some strength...

bracket2.jpg

bracket3.jpg

I was going to move the rear bracket forward but in the end I put it where the rear eye loop was placed. Up front I put the bracket further back but I'm going to double up on turnbuckles, I figure it can't hurt to use both connection points and two different angles.

Here they are all bolted up. I put some heavy backing plates on the inside. Should be much stronger than the original eye loop and hopefully prevent plywood blowout as well.

brackets.jpg

Let me know what you think...

I like it, especially since it ties the forces also to the vertical piece. That should help keep the vertical and horizontal plywood parts square.

How is clearance with the forward brackets and the wheel well when loading and unloading?

I think it will really help to reinforce the side wall of the camper. I have plenty of space because the Bobcat has a small foot print for the back of my 1st gen Tundra. I think it would fit regardless because the gusset is angled. Would have to check other trucks to see how high the wheel well is in relation to the camper.

I'll see first hand tomorrow cause I'm throwing her back on the truck.

I had the same issue with my FWC, replaced the bolts with grade 8's and they seem to be holding up. I was worried though about the point load on the plywood. I like that your solution spreads out the load and ties the two pieces of ply together. If I ever have any more issues with mine I'll definitely steal your design, good job!

Couldn't you just put a 3x3" (or some other size) block of metal/steel/alum on the top and bottom of the eye bolt to spread the load out?

Back
Top Bottom