Any 4WC in Calgary, Alberta?

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
My wife and I are thinking of getting a 4WC. We've done most of our backcountry trips on our feet, and are used to car camping in a Miata (think VERY small trunk). We've done more than one 3 week 5000km trips in a Miata, so feel we are pretty good at keeping it small and light.

Last summer we started talking to folks with 4WC's, and seen the inside of an Eagle and a Fleet. The Eagle seemed too small, the Fleet we saw was much nicer - aka bigger. I'm thinking Hawk might be ideal, or maybe even a Grandby, but I'm not sure.

We're interested in a 4WC because I have exhausted the hikes we can get to by low-clearance car. There are just too many interesting hikes in Utah, Colorado and Canada to leave un-hiked because of our vehicle, and it just might be time to investigate a truck camper vs ultra-light 2 person tent. I'm not into 4x4 rock crawling if I can get their faster by walking, just into rougher roads, like the Hole in the Rock, Burr Trail and such.

I am wondering if there are any WtW members here who live in Calgary or close by, who would be willing to show off their rigs?

Current truck is a 2000 Tundra AC with 200K km on it. Great truck, but I'm not attached to the truck if the right camper means getting a different one.

Thanks in advance for the input, and a very happy New Year to everyone!

V

There are several Alberta 4WC owners, who will likely pipe up. The tundra would be a great truck for a hawk if you upgrade the rear springs.

I have the smallest camper 4WC makes and make it to AB once a year.

Thanks for chiming in. I wondered about the capabilities of the Tundra. Seems opinion here is quite divided on that, with lots of folks running the Tundra/Hawk or Kestrel combo, and others pointing out the GVWR issues.

I've already added a Helwig rear sway bar and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around. It rides great for a truck! Contemplating Firestone Ride Rites too. I think I will be driving it (too) often without the camper to want a harsh ride, so springs may not be my best bet?

Too many of us with first generation Tundras and Hawks for it to be a bad combination. I wish someone made a truck the size of the first generation now. Add airbags and you are good to go, as you have the shocks and sway bar now.

If you ever make it up to Edmonton I would be happy to show you mine. Immediately before purchasing my Hawk I communicated with a WTW mbr in Calgary - just can't remember his handle. Their are a couple of members in your area.

Hello there - I am located in Calgary, but my camper is currently stored off my truck for the winter. I have a 2013 Hawk on a 2013 Ram 2500 CTD. Love the set up and wouldn't change a thing. Happy to chat with you offline if you have any questions.
Jason

Ronanmd1 said:
Hello there - I am located in Calgary, but my camper is currently stored off my truck for the winter. I have a 2013 Hawk on a 2013 Ram 2500 CTD. Love the set up and wouldn't change a thing. Happy to chat with you offline if you have any questions.
Jason
PM sent.

Your first question regarding the truck...kind of depends on what you plan to do. IMHO, for off road exploring, a smaller truck (tacoma or tundra probably makes good sense). I use my truck for mostly on-road trips or light off-roading to various lakes and rivers for fly fishing and just general exploring. I ended up buying a truck that could easily handle the payload and have never regretted that decision. Lots of opinions on this, and mine is only one...

Thanks for that. Yeah, i understand the desire for a bigger more powerful truck (notice the v8 Miata in my sig?) However, if we are talking about narrow trails, if I am putting a Hawk on the back, does the size of the truck matter? Isn't the Hawk wider than even a full size truck?

Good point but I would think that the smaller footprint of the truck would make it feel a bit more nimble. I have put my Ram into some tight off-camber trails and definitely noticed its size compared to my trail rig (Defender 110). The Hawk sits pretty much flush with my wheel arches on the truck and feels like a bit of a beast.

What made you decide on a Hawk?

BTW, great info on solar/charging issues in some of your other threads. Thanks for pointing those out!

Vic - Went with the Hawk mostly b/c of its size. Didn't want something too big. It seemed like a good fit for our needs.

Many thanks to Jason for taking the time yesterday to show us his well set up Hawk. He spent an hour with us going over every detail and graciously answering all of our questions. FWC should be hiring him as salesman!

My wife is now sold on the concept (yeah!) and we are going to be actively looking for a Hawk, or maybe a Kestrel, since I have the "right size" Tundra for that.

Vic

Back
Top Bottom