Any advice on Sun-Lite pop up campers?

gregdaw

Hi.

I bought a very old (and cheap) Phoenix last year as a test to see whether a pop top truck camper would work for us. It did. Took me on two great trips, although the second was a lot colder than expected (-15*C when we woke up on the first morning). I learned a couple lessons and am now looking for a better camper. I need to buy used for budget reasons, although I could perhaps squeeze in a new Palomino - they seem to be very discounted at the moment.

I have built a list of needs and wants:
* I have a 2011 Silverado 2500HD with an 8 ft bed. The tailgate width limits some brands/models (like older Grandby's.
* I like the idea of an aluminum frame.
* I like simple. I need a furnace and want a fridge, cooker top, sink, dinette.
* I have a very large dog - need space for him to sleep (so no raised dinette floor).
* I think I prefer an 8 ft camper (my Phoenix is 7 ft).

I have been looking at a number of brands (mainly Palomino, Jayco, Starcraft and the occasional Skamper). I have found a nice looking 2006 Sun Lite, but it is not a brand that I know much of. I am a little concerned about parts etc. since the factory closed down. Has anyone any experience of them?

Thanks!

We've got a Sunlite Eagle 7' camper that we bought new in 2000. Its a lower end, basic wood framed camper. For what it is, ours has done exactly what we expected of it. The HECO lift system has been bullet-proof. The way the roof is constructed, as long as nobody drilled a bunch of holes in it, should be completely trouble free as one rigid piece. Our had the dometic furnace and 3 way fridge which worked just fine, room for a 2nd 12v battery, and the vent was pre-wire for an electric fan.

Again a basic camper so if the price is right and its been taken care of (regular maintenance) I wouldn't worry. Its not going to be the quality of a Four Wheel or Hallmark, but for a basic entry level camper ours has not disappointed us one bit.

We are actually on the verge of upgrading to a larger camper, but if I had bought the 8.5 foot Sunlite model originally I doubt I would be upgrading now.

-Vic

Thanks Vic. I waited until I sealed the deal before replying - and signed off on it about an hour ago. I still want an aluminium framed camper, but better nice than nothing while I wait for "perfect" - at a much higher price point. Truth be told, I am not crazy about the floor plans of the aluminium framed campers i see. I have a large dog (160 pounds) and he needs floorspace. Got the Sun Lite for a decent price - not a steal by any means, but both the seller and I are happy. I would like to add solar charging and an awning, but a tarp may work just as well for now :)

Appreciate the info - looking around the last month or so, I found ten Sun Life's for sale, 7 of which were 2004 through 2006. Not a lot of information out there, so your comments helped.

Thanks
Greg

Well, it is August 2018 and the camper has seen a fair amount of use and great memories - multiple long drives through Alaska to good fishing spots :). Lots of dirt roads, but no off-roading with it. Some repairs too (some wood rot from a leak before I had it). Even persuaded my wife to join dog and I. She has decided truck campers have their uses - but mine has no built-in toilet, so I am now on the market for an upgrade. I still want an aluminium frame camper and would settle for another pop top. She wants a hard body 4 season model to make camping season up here a little longer. Fall is starting up here (yellow leaves in mid August) and frosts will be here in a couple weeks. I like the longer season, not sure about the taller centre of gravity. We will see. Looks like we will be swapping to an Adventurer 80RB. That also has a north-south bed. It was a good purchase for me as a first pop-top. If it was not for the bathroom need, I would be keeping it. But... :)

Back
Top Bottom