Any Favorite Overnights on 395 between Lone Pine and Inyokern?

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Look for tips on an easy overnight spot on 395 South between Lone Pine and Inyokern. I say easy because I'll be towing and coming in after dark. I'll have my camper with me so self contained.

Any favorites? Its been years since I went that way. Save me from the Ridgecrest Walmart!

Alabama Hills, free, no facilities... turn right off Mt. Whitney road and just find a nice spot and camp.

If you're in need of dry pit toilets and potable water and a campground host, then turn left off Mt. Whitney road, it's a short distance to Tuttle Creek campground.

In the same area is the lone pine campground and you have a great view of mt baldy

I second the Alabama Hills suggestion. Very easy to find a nice turn out after dark and the most fantastic sunrise as long as the weather cooperates. Head west on the Whitney Portal Rd. out of Lone Pine, then right on Movie Rd after only a couple of miles and pick a spot.

We're sitting in a cafe in Lone Pine right now after spending the night at AH. There were three or four other parties sharing the many boulder strewn camps.

We camped on top of the Arch Loop trail and did a moonlit walk last night to scout Mobius Arch. The trail is a sweet one mile loop with four different arches. This morning I popped out before dawn and did my version of Whitney within Mobius. Props to Galen!

Awesome - thanks for the suggestions - I was looking at AH on the 'net. I was a initially a little concerned about towing in there but looks like it won't be an issue. Plan to spend a few hours at Manzanar on the way down from Reno and then hit the visitor center in LP for a AH map and road conditions, and then out to Movie Road.

BTW if anyone has a good link for an AH map that would be appreciated.

Thanks also for the other suggestions. I'll be back again to this area for sure when I'm not just passing through.

If you are coming from the north - Reno - You can take Moffat Ranch Road off of 395 on the north end of the Alabama Hills. Drive Moffat Ranch Road to the intersection with Hogback Road and Movie Flat Rd and continue south on Movie Flat Road. Both of these are wide graded and should be good for towing. There are a few larger camp spots that I've seen trailers in along this northern section of Movie Flat Road. Most people come in from the south - Whitney Portal - so its a bit less populated here. Google maps shows these roads pretty well. Safe travels. :)

Back
Top Bottom