Any intel on fridges FWC is installing in new models?

Andy Douglass

We are having trouble figuring out what brands and models of fridges they would install when we order a new Hawk. Does anyone know what the 2.7 ft 3-way and the 130l 2-way makes/models are?

The manuals section of the website lists multiple models for each option but there is no information on which one they are currently using.

Tried searching the forums here already, but the search feature is a little unreliable.

The compressor fridge is the Isotherm. Not sure what the 3-way is. My 2 cents, if you are going to have the 2-AGM batteries and solar, get the compressor fridge. You need to be as close to level with the 3-way and I think they are tempermental. There are those that swear by them and many that have switched away from the 3-way.

The Isotherm is more energy efficient than the Dometic compressor fridge in my 2014 Grandby. jd

+1 to what Longhorn said. Get your solar and battery system to power the fridge. It is safe and secure to run while driving. My system works well enough that the camper has become my beer fridge when I am at home. The PV panels just keep the fridge running, and the truck batteries topped up.

:)

One of our considerations is having 2-3 dogs along on trips. Most, if not all, National Parks don't allow dogs on trails, so it would be ideal to leave them in the FWC at the trail head for day hikes. We are considering the AC unit, but I'm guessing that running that for more than 15 minutes without shore power will sap the batteries pretty good. So the 3-way fridge would mitigate some of that usage, but we don't even know if the AC is viable for this, and the 130l 2-way fridge's space would be nice to have.

We sent an email to FWC with our list of questions, including a request for the makes/models of the appliances so we can at least do some rudimentary calculations.

I dunno, but compared to the AC unit the fridge will be trivial. if you are really trying to run ac off of the batteries, I would look seriously at building your own PV/battery bank system. The folks here on the forum can help with designing that.

First step would be to find out what the power draw of the AC unit would be.

Good point.

I will post what FWC tells us about the AC unit when we get a reply in case anyone else is interested.

Honestly, there is no way you are going to be able to run an AC unit on batteries. Even the smallest units draw on the order of 50A @12V. This would completely draw down you battery in under an hour. I would not consider this as a factor in choosing a fridge.

I wouldn't do AC on batteries. If in dry areas, you can do evaporative type of cooling to help. Basically just running the fan in front of something wet. Like getting out of pool in the wind. Works pretty well in the hottest times. My pets will often lay down in front of the cool breeze.

rando said:
Honestly, there is no way you are going to be able to run an AC unit on batteries. Even the smallest units draw on the order of 50A @12V. This would completely draw down you battery in under an hour. I would not consider this as a factor in choosing a fridge.
50A at 12V? 600 watts? Wow. Yeah, no.... BUT, that said... you could run it during the day if the PV panels can keep up! You might need a trailer to carry the solar array though :eek:

Your A/C will only work when connected to shore power or generator. It won't work without.
Your 110 plugs won't work either.
jd

I believe the model of 3-way we are using is the Dometic RM2315 Americana RV Refrigerator (2.7 cu.ft) 3-way (AC/DC/Propane).

The 2-way (AC/DC) Compressor refrigerators we are using are made by Isotherm.

Hope this helps.

Stan

I installed a 130 2way Isotherm in my Granby and it looks to be great, and for an AC bought the small cheap home Frigidaire for $139 and can slide it out the escape window with some brackets I made and will be running it off a 2000 watt Honda portable generator on a swing away receiver hitch basket. Also just trying to get a solar system running and having some difficulty isolating a problem but am closing in on it.

Pete at FWC responded promptly to our email.

The 3-way fridges are Dometics, and the 2.7ft one is model RM2191/RM2193.
The 2-ways are Isotherm and the big 130l one is an Indel Webasto Marine Compressor.

[SIZE=14.6667px]After looking at the Indel Webasto site, I'm guessing it is the 130 Cruise classic, but there are several 130 models. Also, I can't figure it out....is Isotherm a product line owned by Indel Webasto? Or is the compressor an Indel product, while Isotherm makes the whole unit? Also, the name Indel Webasto sounds like the name of some Star Wars character: "Indel Webasto leads the ice council on the planet Isothermes." As a matter of fact, the dometics models sound like droids: "Indel Webasto needs our help! The Dometics have sent an army of RM2191 droids to attack him!"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]As for the A/C unit, it would cost us 700, and he could not give us make/model info as it depends on which units they are purchasing at the time the camper is built.[/SIZE]

Back
Top Bottom