Any Need to Take Camper Jacks on Long Trip?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
I just had my new Silverado 2500HD wired to my 2004 FWC Hawk at Trailer City in Hempstead, NY. I was really impressed by their expertise after several NY City mechanics expressed befuddlement as to what the wiring job required. Unlike out West, RVs are not a common sight on the potholed streets of the Big Apple.

As I plan my first trip, I have to ask: Should I leave the camper jacks at home? I don't plan to take the camper off the truck while on the road, and in an emergency I assume RV repair shops could lift the camper if necessary. So it looks like the camper jacks, in this context, are just extra weight and take up valuable storage space.

Any opinions on this subject? Thanks.

I always take the camper jacks off when the camper is on the truck. In addition to extra weight they are one more thing to catch on something when off road and potentially do serious damage to your camper.

Plus I like to be able to clip thing to the jack brackets like a garbage bag or one end of a hammock.

I've never had a need or desire to unload my camper - EVER - during a trip, over the 10+ years I've had my FWC.

Maybe if 'long trip' meant a continuous 6 months or year then maybe something could come up...?

I've had my ATC for almost 10 years and have only used the jacks to remove the camper while at home. They weigh about 100 pounds so why drag them along?

Then there are people like me :p who has never had them off in 10 years :giggle: ! Why? To lazy and besides I just know the day I don't have them on---I'll find that place I've been looking for all these years and not want to leave! Besides where else would I hang my canteen and fishing pole! Seriously, you should probably take them off before you get used to them being on all the time and come up with a nice long list of reasons why I didn't take them off===like " I drive allot in sandy areas and the extra weight helps my old F-150 get thru them." Anyway, enjoy your trip!

Smoke

as long as you can access the spare tire winch, I'd leave them at home.

My bigger concern would be having to service the truck and finding a dealer that won't balk at putting the truck with camper on the lift, etc, but out west dealers are more used to pick-ups with loads :)

I have a much better view of the road behind in my truck's side mirrors with the jacks off. (This may not be as significant for you if you have wider mirrors.)

I wouldn't be concerned about repair shops dealing with the truck and camper as most routinely deal with loaded-up vans and the utility-body trucks of various tradesmen, not to mention the occasional RV.

However, if you have air-bags, you will want to check the manufacturer's warnings about putting the truck on a lift. If memory serves, my Firestone Sportrites are supposed to be deflated completely to go on a lift and then inflated to at least 10 psi before driving. (Having said that, I've had my truck serviced several times on a lift since installing the bags and I didn't remember to deflate the bags or tell the tech it has bags and there were no issues. Not sure if I was lucky or it's not a significant issue or what.)

I leave mine on. I do remove the camper at different times of the year. However, I just reloaded it and it will stay on there until the end of duck hunting (Feb). So, I am considering taking them off. There are other threads that talk about this. It really seems to boil down to personal choice.

4 years, 70,000 miles, 600 nights in the camper, trips coast-to-coast, never needed the jacks. Leave them off unless you have a specific need. Legs add weight, can catch on rocks/trees/etc., and block your view. The extra exposure to weather also would not be great for the gear box on each leg.

30799768825_817a0cea27_k.jpg
30799770655_9982556494_k.jpg

I saw an old fleet that carried the jacks in a parallel position by one bolt. When needed he just unlatched them from the C shaped holder and bolted the second bolt in place.

Back
Top Bottom