Any Two-Wheel Drive Owners Out There?

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Though our truck is a 4WD, we use it on maybe 5% of our trips. I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a rally that could be attended by members with 2WD only. I'm thinking of something like fall colors on Highway 395, Yellowstone, the Oregon Coast, etc. But I'm not sure how many, if any, members would go for that. Does it just defeat the purpose of our campers and everyone has 4WD? Just thinking out loud and would like to hear others thoughts.

Hi Ted, that's a really good idea. I run a 2WD, had various 2WD and 4WD trucks and SUVs, almost of my offroad adventuring since 2000 is done with 2WD vehicles (couple of them were FWD Dodge Caravans). As many have said before, 4WD just gets you stuck in worse places. With that aside, I like the idea, just I am out here on the east coast, so taking a 2 to 3 week trip to do that isn't possible right now. But I do know that from experience, as long as the surface I'm driving on isn't too broken up, like very loose rock or very loose gravel, or too slick with mud, I can make it through with no problem. Plus worse case I just get the come-along out from behind the seat with the tow strap and pull the truck right on through. (Thank you GM for having hooks on the front of the truck frame)

I did do some off road travelling in Oklahoma last year, with a 2WD pickup to find some cool fishing holes, and the grey dust and red mud was everywhere, but the truck handled it with no problem, even through the controlled burning areas (that's a sight to see, you see trees and fields blazing around you as your driving down the dirt cart paths separtating the different sections that they are burning off)

As for 2WD vehicles, I love them, better fuel economy, less maintenance and cost to front end parts. Other than that, there really isn't much difference, really all it ammounts to is the driver.

2wd or 4wd it is all good. Always the location and the people that make the trip. If you plan it, I am sure they will come, regardless of the truck! If you planned it I would love to come.

Dave in Seattle

2WD would have been fine at the Colorado rally for getting to Eureka and Animas Forks and for 98% of the trip over the pass. That 2% is where the 4wd earns its' keep.

The only reason for 4X4 is to reach the destination. If you know a good destination reachable with 4X2 (and really, most are), then I'm interested.

The roads around Eureka are (mostly) accessible to 2 wd vehicles. I was impressed with the way my truck performed with the camper/Timbrens. Lotsa washboards but I never felt the rear end break loose or the tires spin. I only used 4wd a few times....mostly on descents. Of course, quite a bit of the Alpine Loop is like driving up someone's gravel driveway (smoothe). Not a true test of 2WD vs. 4WD, for sure...and definitely a trip that could have been attended by those with 2WD only vehicles.

FWIW, the true test here in the mountains on the 2WD vs. 4WD discussion comes in a few months when we start recieving snow on a regular basis. IMO, most folks who claim they can go/do the same things in their 2Wd truck that someone can in a 4WD truck probably don't live where it snows more than a few times/a few inches a year.

Either way....I can honestly say that no one here uses a 2WD truck to plow snow. That in itself speaks volumes and tells the true tale, IMO.

YMMV!!!

mtn

Back
Top Bottom