Anybody ever jump start truck from camper battery(ies)?

alano

Recently we discovered that we had house herpes - termites. Arranged for the fumigation this last Mon - Wed with the idea of taking off and going to the beach for the the two nights we had to be out of the house. Fumigators arrived and we were all ready to go. Hopped in the truck, turned the key and nothing - not even the starter solenoid clicking. Crap. Called AAA for battery service and we were on our way with a new battery in a little over an hour.

But, if I weren't conveniently parked in my driveway in the middle of civilization could I have strung my jumper cables through the emergency window and jumped the truck from the camper batteries. Has anyone done this? Are there hidden problems with this idea?

Thanks,

Alan

I checked to make sure my cables would reach, in case I did need to jump my truck. But I have never had to do it. I plan on doing it if I need to. Unless, someone posts here that it would be a bad thing to do.

Steve

That very thought has always been in the back of my mind.
I haven't actually checked if the jumpers are long enough,but when out I carry an extra set just in case.
Also a second set is useful if you are pulled in head first into a parking spot and the "kind soul" who is giving you the jump can't get close enough for the cables to reach.Like there are other vehicles next to you.
Happened to me at Yellowstone some years ago.At the Slough Creek trail head I forgot to unplug the cooler I was using at the time and went for a nice 5 hour walk.When I returned the battery was so low the shift lever/key lock wouldn't let me move into neutral.So I was stuck there and and the first "kind soul" didn't have another set of jumpers.
Along came a someone who did and the two sets were enough to reach.
All was well in campingville.
So now I carry the two sets.
Frank

Would there be enough cranking amps for it to work? I thought the deep cycles don't have enough. I could be wrong though. It happened once....maybe twice....

I thought about it too, even bought one of those battery chargers things that has a long enough cordto reach from the trucks cig lighter to the FWC input plug-never used it, but I hear there isn't enough juice to jump it, but enough to charge it over time-hope never to use it, but it's there along with my solar battery panel in case I need it-never know, better over prepared than not ;) !

Smoke

Thanks for the answers. I'll have to come up with a "dead truck battery" solution before heading out to more remote areas in the Spring. So far we were in pretty well traveled areas where a dead battery would be a bummer but not serious especially when food, water and shelter are sitting in the truck bed.

Alan

Its kind of a pain but worse case if you have no cables you can always just yank it out of the camper and put it in the vehicle.

If I had to, I would take the battery out of my camper to jump start my truck. It would work fine.

I had the occasion to verify that it works, You need the heavier gauge cables and you really have to have the best connection you can get with the cable clamps onto the battery (and the frame for the car battery end).

Back
Top Bottom