Anyone Have Or Seen A Grandby On A Short Bed T-100?

rich

Contributors
I am talking to a guy about buying his 2005 Grandby to put on my 1996 T-100 4 wheel drive. I think I can run it with the tailgate down without a problem but wanted to get some opinions on it in terms of center of gravity and causing ass drag on the T-100. I plan to put air bags under it. I know the Hawk's are sized right for the T-100 but I like the extra storage room in the Grandby and my T-100 has 212,000 miles on it and I know that when I get a new truck it will be the same size or larger so I want to go as big as I can afford to on the camper but don't want to crush my little Toyota.

Let me know what you guys think.

Rich,

There are a number of members using T-100s that are very happy with their set-up, though I'm not sure if any of them have a Grandby. We run a Hawk on the very first year of the Tundra, and have airbags to assist in supporting the extra weight. One thing we have run into is the wear and tear of the extra weight on the rear axle and rear end. Even with the suspension beefed up, the extra weight has caused the axle bearings to wear faster, the brakes to wear faster, and put a strain on the rear end. Our truck is bigger than yours and our camper is smaller than a Grandby, yet the additional weight has cost us in maintenance. I assume this is true for all trucks with campers on them, but going with a Grandby on a T-100 may be pushing the limit on these other components.

Ted

I have an older Granby and put it on an F150 long bed 4x4 with airbags and decided that was straining things. It could handle it but the truck worked awfully hard in the mountains especially, with a 4.6 V8. What is the Gross Vehicle rating for a T100?

That settles it.

Rich, I like to solve problems.

I'll let you have my 1995 Hawk - perfect for your T-100 - and I'll slide the 05 Grandby in my Dodge 2500.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Ron

I was curious and looked it up, one site said 1650 for the regular cab, 2150 for extended, couple said 2000 payload. So what does a well equipped Granby weigh? Add people, jacks, equipment and I suspect it is getting close. My F150 says 6000 and it must weight more than the T100 so it should carry less but the HP per lb would be about the same.

That settles it.

Rich, I like to solve problems.

I'll let you have my 1995 Hawk - perfect for your T-100 - and I'll slide the 05 Grandby in my Dodge 2500.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Ron

LOL - I'd take you up on it Ron but that's the rub in all this, the T-100 only has a 58' tailgate opening on it so I can either buy a used Fleet model or a 2001 or newer Grandby or Hawk, if I want something larger than an Eagle or Ranger that is, and I do. The smaller ones are just too small for my taste.

I was curious and looked it up, one site said 1650 for the regular cab, 2150 for extended, couple said 2000 payload. So what does a well equipped Granby weigh? Add people, jacks, equipment and I suspect it is getting close. My F150 says 6000 and it must weight more than the T100 so it should carry less but the HP per lb would be about the same.

I think the manufacturers will say anything. Read the plaque on the side of the door. GVWR minus curb weight and passengers is your truck's ACTUAL load carrying capacity. GCVWR minus will calculate towing.

My old Dodge was rated to tow 6500, I think. But not really. It was more like 4000.

Back
Top Bottom