Anyone use SPOT gen 3 personal tracker?

idahoron

A friend of mine just got one. They seem pretty cool for getting help if you need it. I also looked at the DeLorme inReach.

Is anyone here using them? If so you want to give a evaluation?

Our trip to DVNP in March made me aware that if something bad had happened in much of the park, there would be no way to summon help. Lack of cell service was expected but I was surprised that I couldn't make contact with anyone on my vhf and uhf radios. I did not take the time to set up my HF radio but it is more suitable for reaching someone hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Due to this experience, I researched satellite communicators and determined that the Delorme Inreach Explorer best met my needs & bought one. I provided emergency comms for an event in the Oregon Coast Range in June where no cell service exists and although I had good ham communication, I used the event to test the Explorer. I was able to send and receive texts from the Inreach explorer to my wife's cell phone without issue. I did not test the SOS feature as it wasn't needed.

Because the Inreach Explorer uses the Iridium satellite system, communication is available essentially anywhere in the world.

Paul

PaulT said:
Because the Inreach Explorer uses the Iridium satellite system, communication is available essentially anywhere in the world.

Paul
It can send messages to phones, email, a special website, and other inReach receivers. The downside is that it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to work, and the fee system is byzantine. The send is confirmed on the device which helps. There are also some limited navigation and tracking features that can be useful, as well as the ability to connect with a smartphone or tablet to bring up stored topo maps with location and other info.

Bigfoot,

All true. I have the apps for both the iPad and my Android phone. I download appropriate maps for the area of interest ahead of time and use either app to read, and compose the messages. It's as easy as sending texts by phone. If your device does not have a true GPS chip but uses cell tower to provide location information, the inreach provides that true GPS function for you and the app shows your location on the map.

While it can be very slow to send/receive messages, it is much faster than hiking 20 miles to an area with cell service.

As far as the subscription fee service, get the lowest cost monthly version and pay the 50 cents per message that will seem dirt cheap if you are trying to get help for an injured friend or family member. For me, this is my last chance backup system and I hope to not need it. In most places without cell service, I can reach someone on my ham radio who can summon help for me. In that case, having the inreach provide lat lon is not a bad thing.

Paul

Thank you Paul! So if I might ask, which package did you get? so the texts cost .50 cents. That ain't bad at all really. I could tell my wife I am fine and if it costs a dollar or two what the heck. Any more info on them Paul?

These are the plans on their site.
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

I got the Recreation plan mostly because I thought I'd use the tracking points for family to know my location and that 40 texts/month would be sufficient.

I think when my year is up, I'll switch to the Safety plan and rather than regular tracking points, I'll just use my Ham radio APRS tracker and reserve doing tracking points when in a bad situation.

Paul

idahoron said:
Are you going to do the Safety Freedom plan?
The advantage of the Freedom Plan is if you store your camper during the winter months long enough for the monthly difference to pay off.

Doing the math in my head (probably a mistake) looks like the Freedom Plan doesn't make sense until you get to the Expedition Plan.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom