Anyone using a hitch cargo carrier ?

idahoron said:
I have a hitch on the front and I carry my jack and shovel on it.

img_160409_4_0d0d30d922d7d5c95152146556755382.jpg

I went on a whitetail hunt this fall. I always take my trailer everywhere. I either have my ATV or my boat on it. Well since this trip was going to be about 1200 miles I decided to slim down a bit. I needed a way to carry back a deer without it being a pain in the hind end.
I decided to make my hitch carrier. I knew that on this trip I was going to park the truck and hunt with my friend out of his truck. So I was not worried about the carrier getting hung up while driving in the mountains. After building mine I was happy with the convenient back porch. I built mine out of light duty 2" square tubing. I gave it a 3/4" thick plywood deck. It is 60"x24". I am used to having a trailer so having something behind me is not hard for me to keep in mind. It worked great and I carried my deer home in the coolers and I had spare gas for the generator. I added lights to it for added protection from getting bumped.

img_160409_6_5ca224a03a4e1e8e88914c8fc62ff9ba.jpg

img_160409_8_dea3e7ae4669a2f0c32da093477aea2d.jpg
Great pix of your rig. I like the front hitch option more and more. What's the location where you're parked on the city street? Reminds me of Silver City NM.

That picture of my ride on the street is in the middle of Counsel Idaho.
That front hitch is essential for me since I don't want to carry it in the back of the camper and I don't believe in attaching stuff to the camper.

idahoron said:
That picture of my ride on the street is in the middle of Counsel Idaho.
That front hitch is essential for me since I don't want to carry it in the back of the camper and I don't believe in attaching stuff to the camper.
Is it a winch mount? Do you know which one or do you make it yourself? Can't quite make out the pic.

I originally planned to use the tube I welded on as a piece to put my shovel. It was too small to work but I didn't bother to cut it off.

idahoron said:
I originally planned to use the tube I welded on as a piece to put my shovel. It was too small to work but I didn't bother to cut it off.
Like the video. I had a custom rear bumper on my old Tundra that held my shovel and hi-lift, but I think it's a great idea to carry it up front! Kudo's to you!!

I'm a little late to the thread, but I put my cargo carrier on the front because I was already using my rear receiver. I had the coolers loaded up front and didn't notice any increase in engine temps.
2devilsfork.jpg

I am just trying to finish up this project, between the rain and snow.
Not so concerned about departure angle, for me it's just an rv with four wheel drive and good ground clearance. Will walk, or ride bike or motorcycle ( carry on front hitch) to keep truck out of places might have trouble.
I used an extra 2 inch hitch. Bolted a piece of plywood and the box in four places to it. ( plywood to help stiffen a fairly lightweight bottom of the box). Then bolted to bumper on each side. Trying different ideas to reinforce lid, to help from caving in when step/ standing on. Moved the license plate to a visible spot.
We left the tailgate on last year and liked having a platform as a first step,as well to work on or set stuff. Figured as long as have a platform, might as well have a box to carry leveling blocks, chairs, outdoor mat, etc,etc. See this as a temporary fix, until willing to start carving into the sides of the truck and create storage there. Didn't have a problem with the extra length, over a 2 month s.w. Trip, until lightly backed into a pole while picking the mail up on way home
Getting out today to think again about steps, or keep using 4 foot step ladder like we have been doing

You shouldn't get upset about not moving your firewood. I have lost 40 very nice ash trees in the last year due to someone bringing infected wood into my area...thanks. And to the original post I use an expanded steel 5th-wheel tailgate as an area to carry stuff and as a small porch. I use angle iron instead of the cables to keep it from bouncing.

I combined a Hitch Swing with a Harbor freight hitch rack. I welded it together to utilize a Thule T2 bike extender to hold two bikes at the back. In the end, it's not too heavy and holds: Fire Ring, BBQ, High Lift, Shovel, Fishing Rods, 2 Bikes and the Ammo cans hold various things I don't want inside: Jerry cans, propane bottles, water or trash. Here are some picts:

Attachments

• IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4161.JPG
    IMG_4161.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 150

Back
Top Bottom