Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

The purchase of Delorme by Garmin has born its first fruits, just unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show

There is now an inReach SE+ and inReach Explorer+. Both appear in newly designed cases. Just in looking at the display of the Explorer on their website, it looks more like a Garmin GPS map, than the poorly executed Delorme version. Hopefully the user interface has improved, as well.

General product info link: https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Here is the link to the SE+: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286/pn/010-01735-00

Here is the link to the Explorer+: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

Estimated availability is 5 - 8 weeks (as of January 5, 2017)

Bosque Bill said:
The purchase of Delorme by Garmin has born its first fruits, just unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show

There is now an inReach SE+ and inReach Explorer+. Both appear in newly designed cases. Just in looking at the display of the Explorer on their website, it looks more like a Garmin GPS map, than the poorly executed Delorme version. Hopefully the user interface has improved, as well.

General product info link: https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Here is the link to the SE+: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286/pn/010-01735-00

Here is the link to the Explorer+: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

Estimated availability is 5 - 8 weeks (as of January 5, 2017)
Finally.... I was just asking about upgrades as the old units were outdated. The interesting thing is that the SE+ can be configured to be an Explorer+ (prices come out the same). Not sure of other internal differences though.

kmcintyre said:
Finally.... I was just asking about upgrades as the old units were outdated. The interesting thing is that the SE+ can be configured to be an Explorer+ (prices come out the same). Not sure of other internal differences though.
I see what they are doing. If you go to the SE+ and add the sensors, it puts you on the Explore+ page. Smart.

I just got hit with my Spot automatic renewal bill and I was mad at myself as I was going to not renew and go with inreach. I just went to the site to see what the subscription price is and saw that the Garmin take over happened. I then looked on Amazon and saw a very good deal on Delorme SE. Is this still a good unit or should I spend a little more and get a Garmin unit. I don't expect I am not going to be a big user as I only used my spot a few times a year but really want the two way capability and don't really need the mapping function

Chukar Hunter said:
I just got hit with my Spot automatic renewal bill and I was mad at myself as I was going to not renew and go with inreach. I just went to the site to see what the subscription price is and saw that the Garmin take over happened. I then looked on Amazon and saw a very good deal on Delorme SE. Is this still a good unit or should I spend a little more and get a Garmin unit. I don't expect I am not going to be a big user as I only used my spot a few times a year but really want the two way capability and don't really need the mapping function
You might be able to ask Spot to reverse the renewal if it just now renewed (don't know). But I was able to get SiriusXM to reverse a renewal the day it automatically renewed..

The Delorme unit has all the important functions of the newer Garmin unit - communications, SOS, etc. The new SE+ apparently has some sort of GPS routing capability, but I don't know exactly what that is or if it is of interest to you.

There are several videos on the plus models up on YouTube now. The most useful one at this point is the Getting Started one......

The video helps us pre-Garmin Inreach owners see several things:

- we'd still use the same portal online to manage the device (for registration, activation, firmware updates, message management, MapShare, etc)
- the screen is larger so instead of 9 icons on page 1, there are 12. Some icons have moved from page 2 to page 1 (Preset, Data Use, Map, and Trip Info are on 1 and presumably Social moved to page 2)
- we no longer see the Select box in the Recipients and Message blocks of a new message. That functionality appears to be replaced by a vertical line of icons on the right side of the screen.
- the indicators at the top of the screen look very familiar (time, connectivity, %charged, etc)
- the flashing LED has moved from above the screen to below it-- still left side.
- the external SOS button has moved from the front to the side (this video shows the bump on the right side is a door covering a recessed SOS button.)

As far as routing, this device does not calculate shortest/fastest/avoid tolls/etc routes like an automotive GPS. You can pre-plan a trip by drawing out a track on Earthmate and transfer it to the Explorer+ to see that track overlaid on a zoomable topo map. There are other options for getting a track into the device but you can't ask it to calculate a driving route to the trailhead or ask it to determine which road or trail to take to get to your destination.

I don't see anything right off that would make me upgrade from my Explorer to the Explorer+. The biggest draw for me so far is the larger screen. Perhaps there will be other good news as we learn more.

I contacted Spot and got them to reverse the renewal charge( hopefully they said 7-14 days). I went to the inreach site to look at their subscription rates and the page wont come up. Maybe just a little delay since the takeover?
What are you guys paying?

Chukar Hunter said:
I contacted Spot and got them to reverse the renewal charge( hopefully they said 7-14 days). I went to the inreach site to look at their subscription rates and the page wont come up. Maybe just a little delay since the takeover?

For the basic service, about $145/year, plus an initial small setup fee if I remember correctly.

Chukar Hunter said:
Good to hear Spot will reverse the renewal. I have the Freedom Safety Plan - Freedom means I pay an annual fee, then a monthly fee for only those months I intend to activate the device. Since I don't camp in the winter months, I save a small amount this way.

I don't know if the rates have changed this year, as I'm currently in suspension, but have not received notice of such, so suspect they are the same or similar. Last year my monthly rate was $15 with the annual fee of $25, plus tax. I pay an extra $18 annually for the extra GEOS SARS coverage, this is available directly from Garmin; this extra coverage provides $100,000 (actually 2x $50k) reimbursement annually for additional costs of rescue, such has helicopters, etc.

Figured I might as well hold out on getting an inReach until the "+" versions were available. I had signed up on the Garmin page to be notified. Thought about it this weekend and checked, they were taking orders although saying it would be 7-10 day to process. Figured why not look around, REI was taking orders too but they show as back ordered and up to 2 weeks to fulfill. Ended up at The GPS Store and they showed in stock with free 2 day shipping. As all of the sources have the same pricing, figured I'd give them a shot. Got notification of it shipping out yesterday, should be at the house tomorrow. Garmin sent me the notification that they are available now...

Bad Habit said:
Ended up at The GPS Store and they showed in stock with free 2 day shipping. As all of the sources have the same pricing, figured I'd give them a shot. Got notification of it shipping out yesterday, should be at the house tomorrow. Garmin sent me the notification that they are available now...
Good for you. Doesn't matter where you buy as Garmin will do any service or repair, if necessary. My original inReach's display died after two years. It took Garmin almost a month to repair it and get it back, but they did the repair free of charge even though it was out of warranty, due to the nature of the issue.

[As an aside: I keep forgetting that most credit cards extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year as part of the card rewards.]

I regularly work with Search and Rescue communications. We try to put an in-reach with each of our search teams so that we can track them during the search process. Always good for calling emergency help in the field... SAR folks sometimes need help too ;o)

StreamFixer

I have the Delorme Explorer unit and it has worked for a couple of years. The interface is not UX friendly and it took some time before I got the hang of how to load a GML file onto the web site and to use the device. Since Delorme was purchased by Garmin, I was happy to see they updated the device to show topo maps without having to sync with my phone. While I haven't seen the new unit in person, my hope is that it will enable me to not carry a Garmin and an InReach device. As you can tell. I'm not a big fan of carting my phone but leave it in my truck when hiking. I ask that my friends not text me on the device unless it is an emergency. For me, getting away from text / email is the best part of hiking. Device to device texting is ok when traveling with someone that also has an InReach device. Bottom line, if you want the security of having emergency communications it's perfect for that. Plus updating your location each night before turning it off at least assures your family Where you are and everything is ok. I have also utilized the weather reports a few times which are better than nothing.

I just ordered the inreach explorer+ what plans are people getting? I.e.freedom or annual, safety or higher.

BobM said:
I just ordered the inreach explorer+ what plans are people getting? I.e.freedom or annual, safety or higher.
I use the Safety plan as my communications needs are minimal. I do use the free preconfigured messages feature, included in the Safety plan, all the time while traveling.

I also use the Freedom option as I don't camp during the winter months. The Freedom plan does have an annual fee so you should evaluate your usage needs - the break-even point is around 8 months, if memory serves.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I probably won't use the ping or tracking feature so .10 a time in the rare cases probably justifies the cheaper safety plan. And .50 over the 10 limit on texting is ok since I still have a phone when in strong areas and will only need in rare occasions. My plan is to include a do not reply unless it's important message in my 3 free canned messages.

I'm split between the freedom and annual mostly out of Laziness, remembering to suspend/resume the freedom plan. There are so many dead cell spots in California, so even a trip to Joshua etc. Is dead

We had a chance to use our InReach for the first time since setting it up yesterday.
We were hiking to Cascade Falls in Virginia and the mountains on either side of the creek were very steep and up to about 500 ft tall (almost like a slot Canyon for you guys out West!) with trees covering everything although they had not leafed out yet.
I sent a couple of emails to myself as a test and when I got home I was able to pull up the track on my iPad fairly easily.

For our purposes it has performed very well. Highly reccomend.

BobM said:
...My plan is to include a do not reply unless it's important message in my 3 free canned messages....
I saw this one a chuckled to myself. I have the same plan, and included the same message, and invariably at least once a trip somebody texts back 'thanks' or 'have fun' or the like.

I joke about it now with my wife that aren't we fortunate that we have a large group of trusted people to communicate with when we are out traveling (although it does call into question their ability to follow instructions in case of emergency!)

Like you I just did the annual plan figuring I'd forget to change to/back for some trip.

Back
Top Bottom