Anyone using FWC Hawk in a 5.5 or 5.8 bed?

I'm having trouble finding a truck with full size cab (crew max, etc) that also has a 6.5ft bed.

There is a lot more options in the 5.5ft bed market. I'm willing to helper springs, air bags, sway bars.

What does everyone think of doing the 5.5ft bed with the hawk model? Thanks and looking forward to getting out there!

I'm mostly interested in F150, 1500, Tundra, etc

Hi rustyShackelford55
Sorry I can not give you first hand info on your question. I would think you want to see the center of gravity on the camper and where it lands in relationship to the position of the rear axel in the bed. Hope that makes sense. You could also call FWC or ATC and ask what they think. I'm sure someone here will post up also.

Russ

Heres my fully loaded hawk on my 2014 Tundra. I have ride rite airbags and the camper is installed with the tailgate on. Ive had it on for 6 or 8 months and done many trips so far an its been great. I dont feel that its not the right truck or bed size other than it sticks out past the end of the bed a little. Is it the perfect scenario...? Maybe not on paper but the truck does a great job stopping and going with it on. No regrets other than the 11-12 mpg and the 20 gallon tank. Hope this helps
757BCFE8-0A81-462D-A1AF-6DB5A983CDAC.jpeg

4213CFCE-DC62-4E4D-9C75-402E42846336.jpeg

Paul84 said:
Yes...Tundra has a double cab with a 6.5’ bed

Double Cab is Toyota's new name for Access Cab. They have a Crew Max that is what the Double Cab was.

Now if Toyota would just build a 3/4 ton truck.

rustyshackleford55 said:
I haven't seen any tundras with 6.5ft bed, only 5.5ft
Google tundra double cab and tundra crewmax. It’ll show you the difference between the 6.5ft bed and the 5.8ft bed. Lots of double cab tundras with hawk campers

With the tailgate on and supporting the camper, there isn't any protection for your camper, no bumper to help, so damage likely to the truck and camper. I realize other have done that and that is in their comfort level. I wouldn't want to risk it if we were in the truck/camper search mode. My 2 cents. Good luck. jd

Found the 6.5ft beds with double cab, I have toddler and wife to fit in the truck. I was initially thinking crew max/full cab but extended cab seems like it would work

rustyshackleford55 said:
I'm having trouble finding a truck with full size cab (crew max, etc) that also has a 6.5ft bed.

There is a lot more options in the 5.5ft bed market. I'm willing to helper springs, air bags, sway bars.

What does everyone think of doing the 5.5ft bed with the hawk model? Thanks and looking forward to getting out there!

I'm mostly interested in F150, 1500, Tundra, etc
get the 6.6 bed, otherwise the camper hangs out, I don’t think that’s a good idea, I did tons of research, everything came back to Tundra Limited, I can say I’m extremely happy with my setup
IMG_5915.JPGIMG_5879.JPG

I had no trouble going on the Ford website and building a crew cab with the 6.5' bed.
One thing I noticed (besides the price tag!!) was that the 6.5' bed comes with the larger 36 gallon fuel tank which would be a nice thing to have...

Stick to looking for a crew cab ford with 6.5’ Bed. It took me awhile to find as well especially because I wanted the v8 and 4x4 but I eventually found one. If you had a truck already with the smaller bed then I’d say stick to it but since it doesn’t sound like you have one, find the right one. It wil fit correctly so it will look good and you won’t have to worry about damaging the tailgate. Also if you ever plan on towing you won’t need the extension. Lots of people run the longer camper on the shorter bed but it’s ultimately up to you.

I have a Tundra with a 6.5 bed double cab and a Hawk. As Otto showed, the Tundra double cab and Hawk is a nice set-up. You can identify the double cab easily as it does not have a horization door handle for the back seats. I think the double cab is plenty roomy in the back seat. I had leaf spring upgrades done at Boise Spring Works in ID when I picked up the camper. I wish my Tundra had a larger capacity gas tank.

I have the Tundra DC, (Double Cab) and a Hawk. We have two full size dogs and there is more than enough room in the back seat area for them. I don't think you'll have any issues with your toddler. IMG_20180217_135441_912.jpg

I seriously looked at a Double Cab Tundra and ended up sticking with a Ford Crew Cab because of the cab size. I currently have 3 carseats that have to crammed into the truck and I'm 6'2" so I sit back far and carseats are huge. Yes I couldve made it work but the Ford cab is huuuuge. and did I mention 36 gallons?!?!?

hmmm

Should be pretty easy to find a Ford F150 Super Crew 6.5 bed.. I have one..

Great truck.. we have an old Fleet 7.5.. get 16-17 mpg fully loaded with the 5.0 motor..

where are you looking for trucks, should be plenty around..

Back
Top Bottom