anyone using RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi?

coguzzi said:
Fiamma awnings actually ship with body mounts (ive had Fiamma's in the past on different vans/rigs). im not sure what FWC does with all these body mounts, must have a huge stock pile somewhere, or they cut a deal and dont actually receive them. i cant stand having the feet go to the ground, dogs get playing and run into them, have to be staked down in even a slight breeze etc.

So i fabbed up my own mounting points off the jack brackets and had some spare body mounts laying around. Fiamma changed the design recently on these and i preferred the old style, so i bought a couple sets while i still could. the new ones are enclosed and can fill with dirt and debris, more of an issue if mounted low on the body like they are designed, like on a van. both will work though.

Anyway, i just made a simple bracket from aluminum angle, had to decrease the angle on the forward one to match up with the leg better, but simple bracket nontheless. works well, never worry about it in a small breezes etc. here are some pics.
Thanks. That is awesome. Wish I had the body mounts to do this. I love my awning, but I also tie my dogs to my running boards with 12 foot leads, and it never fails, they find the awning legs with their leashes[emoji35]

Thank you for taking the time to show me, I may be able to fab something to work for my use.

craig333 said:
Better than the ones Fiamma supplies.

The locking piece broke off.
exactly why i bought a couple sets of the old style fiamma brackets, i like them much much better than the new ones. had them on 1 VW syncro and 1 4x4 econoline and my FWC now.

So, when i first made these i actually thought i would make a few sets to sell, wasnt sure of the market and i was to busy, blah blah blah......

anyway, sorry to hijack original posters thread, ill post more 6.4L data after this weekend

13.9mpg seems to be the magic MPG number. this trip involved mostly interstate and 75-80mph. i was pleased the number didnt go down at 80mph, usually mpg drops exponentially the faster you go over 55. fairly loaded hawk, 2 mtn bikes 2 people and 1 60lb dog and all the gear on a 2500 6.4, i think those numbers are actually pretty good and will probably increase as the motor breaks in more (only 800 miles on it)

Are you using the trucks EVIC for checking mpg? on my truck i did a couple of old style math checks and in the last couple of tanks my EVIC was saying 14.5 mpg, i got 12.5 -13 when i did the math. but my power wagon drops to 12 when i run over 70mph. still okay, i dont expect more from a heavy truck like this. i do use the EVIC for a range guide and it is close.

coguzzi - also - what octane gas and what elevation? thanks.
snuffy - what's EVIC by the way? I'm assuming the truck computer.

yes that is ram name for the trucks computer it shows all the trucks info. the owners manual for my 2015 says use 89octane the dealer says 87, i have used both and really can not see any diff. maybe if you tow max loads anyone add to this?

i live in CO at an elevation of 5500ish ft. im using mid grade so far, in CO and western states mid grad is 87. 85/87/91. lower evevation mid grade is 89, right? i always used premium in my Tundra, so its nice to use the mid grade, but i bet it doesnt make a difference. I also did hand calc's along with the EVIC, they were all within .2 mpg. granted im onyl on my 3rd tank of gas in this thing, so results very well may vary

Well after really wanting the Power Wagon it just didn't make sense with needing to pull 5th wheel or haul camper the 2500 big horn won out.

Attachments

• DSCN0063.JPG
    DSCN0063.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 275
Thanks. I like the color also, matches the accents on the camper and the 5th wheel. Yes the suspension is stock. The truck settled 2" with the camper on. Ride is solid and very stable as it is.

Finally had enough miles on her to go for the big test. Fully loaded 17800# pulling Parleys Canyon 9 miles @ 6 and 7 pct. grade. Pulled a lot harder than I thought it would. Just have to get used to having the engine revving so high. Just let her do her thing and it will do it.

Attachments

• WP_20150804_001.jpg
    WP_20150804_001.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 235
For the wife's birthday she wanted to go Indian pictograph hunting. So we loaded up the 5th wheel with the rzr and headed for southern utah. Scaled out at 18640#. So for on the trip down mpg is 8.6. The truck pulls great. Not as strong as my old Cummins but still impressive. The ride is extremely comfortable and very stable. The integrated brake controller along with the trans make downhills very nice. I am expecting with just the camper on I should get 12-13mpg. So far really liking the truck

I think you made the right choice for your needs. I just bought the 2015 Power Wagon to haul my 2010 Hawk. Loading the camper put the rear trailer hitch down 3 inches. I put Boss Air Bags on and raised to stock height. Camper rides great on road and off, but I try to keep weight down because of soft springs the Power Wagon comes with. I leave the camper on all the time and remove the jacks to save weight. I don't want to go to heaver springs because I like the soft ride and on and off road handling of the Power Wagon.

Took the ram on a 700 mile quick trip running empty. Was curious what kind of mpg I could get running empty. Average overall was 16.7 mpg. Going down was better than 18 mpg holding speed at 75mph on cruise. Coming home kicked the speed up cruising a little over 80. Couldn't be happier. really loving the truck.

Had the dealer reset the tire pressure monitoring to 60 psi. Now I can drop the pressure when empty and not have that stupid light telling me my tires are low.

I recently sold my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD and purchased a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I live in Boise but purchased from Dave Smith in Kellogg, Idaho (it was a really good buying experience). I was able to do a gentle 500 mile engine break-in for its first drive back home. As I purchased in December I had more than one opportunity to test out the 4 wheel drive and the truck is responsive and brakes well while avoiding Salmon River deer and elk at dusk! After that drive, trip computer indicated 16.7 mpg and hand calc'd was 16.2 mpg. Since then I get about 13 mpg to-from work and 16 mpg on the freeway.

I'm so far really happy with the ride and finish of this truck. Not the greatest city vehicle as its super long with the crew cab and 8 foot bed.

Taking off the tailgate meant loosing the backup camera so I fabricated an OEM replacement (documented on the 2015 Dodge camera thread).

I just installed my 2002 Grandby (definitely wasn't super exited to drill holes in a brand new truck bed for anchor points). My Grandby is 59.75" wide at the rear and my tailgate width was just shy of 60.5"...basically 3/8" clearance on both sides. I use a 3/8" thick DeeZee bed mat (even though my bed is rhino-lines and find my side rail clearance (only clears the back side rails by a half inch but well over an inch at the front of he bed) and my cab over clearance (about 2") about seems perfect.

I installed in the bed an anderson plug attached to 8 gauge double insulated marine wire, routed through an existing bed plug on drivers side front side of bed, zip tied up to engine compartment, and installed my battery isolator, thermal fuse and added a "keyed hot" add a fuse from the fuse panel that is next to battery in engine compartment. One thing to note, Dodge started using Micro2 fuses instead of the more readily available Mini fuses that were used on my 2001 Dodge Ram.

All in all, after a bit of planning (and the fact I had done all this before on my earlier Dodge Ram), eveything went together well. Camper battery charges as designed and indicated by my Trimetric 2025. With camper installed my bed sagged 1.75" but there was plenty of front rake when empty and truck rides level if not still slightly raked forward.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Great install and details.
How many amps does your trimetric show when you are charging from your truck?
Always curious to compare from my truck with FWC installed connections to truck battery

Battery's are currently at 100%, will make a note to monitor the Ah in (and at what % level the batteries are) when I start the truck after the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom