anyone using RAM EcoDiesel?

BlueRidge

Advanced Member
Hello,

Anyone using RAM's EcoDiesel? Are you liking it? MPG?

Which camper are you using and did you upgrade your suspension?

Thanks

We got one of the first ones and learned some things before trading it in on a 2500. It's an outstanding light truck: powerful, smooth, quiet, comfortable, drives well and is indeed economical for a pickup. We easily got 25 MPG unloaded, less when towing a travel trailer but still good (18+ MPG). Best results for us on a tank was around 28 MPG hand calculated. Some users have gotten over 30 MPG. Of course, fuel economy depends on many factors such as speed, terrain, driving style, load, tire pressure, etc. Air temperature, fuel mix and trip distance also have a major effect on diesel economy.

We had air suspension which was awesome for towing and general use. Not so good for payload because it stopped working when the load exceeded roughly 800 lbs over GVWR. The stock coil suspension can be beefed up--sacrificing some ride quality--but payload is still a limiting factor because of the light duty axles (3900 GAWR) and the heavy diesel engine with emissions equipment. The most popular model is a crew cab which will have a rated payload of roughly 900 to 1200 lbs depending on typical options, so pushing the GVWR is necessary to carry even the lightest of slide-in campers. At least one person on another forum mounted a Lance 825 (2000 lbs dry!) on a Quad Cab with only better tires and Timbrens and they claimed that it drove and stopped fine. Other owners have installed an Outfitter Caribou Lite or a Four Wheel Camper Hawk on a mid-level Quad Cab with satisfactory results. For most people a basic standard cab with coil suspension would give more payload leeway and should handle a light pop-up plus a passenger and gear.

I should be receiving my new Hawk in the next month or so. Our truck is a 2015 RAM 150 Quad Cab (smaller back seat and doors) Ecodiesel with the 6.5' bed. I've added Timber Grove airbags in anticipation of at or near max load on the truck. Hopefully we will be well setup.

I'm driving around with a Dodge Dakota with an Eagle FWC and have no issues so I'm sure the RAM will be fine. We carry a few extra items in our campers and sure we are at or above recommended weight. I have firestone air on them with 10 ply tires. No issues other than lack of power on some big hills or head wind.

kmcintyre said:
I'm driving around with a Dodge Dakota with an Eagle FWC and have no issues so I'm sure the RAM will be fine. We carry a few extra items in our campers and sure we are at or above recommended weight. I have firestone air on them with 10 ply tires. No issues other than lack of power on some big hills or head wind.
Keep in mind that the EcoDiesel's design priorities are fuel economy and comfort. To get there Ram had to sacrifice payload because it started out as a heavy truck and got heavier with the diesel. Your Dakota probably has a higher payload rating than most EcoDiesel configurations despite having a GVWR of a thousand pounds less.

Back
Top Bottom