Anyone w/ a Tacoma have to change a tire? (Jack good enough?)

wicked1

Has anyone had to change a tire on their Tacoma w/ FWC? I'm wondering if the OEM jack is good enough.
I really dread the thought of a flat while out on bad 'offroad' roads.. There is nothing safe about that situation w/ a little bottle jack and unstable ground.. Especially on an extra heavy lifted vehicle. But, space is at a premium so I don't really want to bring along a big shop jack and jack stands.. for the off chance of a flat..

I recently found these airbag jacks, which seemed like an awesome idea.. Until I read the reviews of everyone's vehicle rolling off of it..
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-72X10-Orange-Bushranger-X-Jack/dp/B007RY5NTK/ref=psdc_15708071_t2_B07D3SJD12

Anyway.. Hoping the stock is good enough w/ creative log and/or rock placements out on the trails...

I have used my stock jack to change a tire on my Tacoma/Fleet flatbed. This was on relatively flat ground, and it worked just fine. I didn't feel like a different jack would have been better. I do carry a small section of 4"x4" to use as a chock or to raise the jack a little higher if I need extra reach. Now I wouldn't crawl under the vehicle while it was on a jack, stock or otherwise.

Definitely try it in your driveway to be sure.

I really try to minimize carrying too many single use 'what if' type items, particularly heavy ones, so I have never considered carrying a different jack. I do have a compressor (multi use) and a plug kit (light), so for a normal flat I could probably plug and re-inflate without having to pull the wheel if I were in a sketchy situation.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it can handle the weight.
I have a compressor, but no patch kit.. I will get one before I hit the road tomorrow.

I do splurge on a different jack.I have a small 2 1/2 ton floor jack
that sits in the back of the truck cab.Never used it but I think that is one single
use items I want.
Frank

How does the floor jack work on gravel and other soft/rough surfaces?

I thought they had to be able to roll to keep the lifting 'pad' at the right spot. On my garage floor jack, the arm moves in an arc and the whole jack rolls 2-3 inches forward as the load is raised.

Ours works fine with a loaded Fleet, even on a gravel road. It’s hard to lift the wheel with E rated tire though! I lever it up using the lug wrench.

The problem with the air-bag jacks—well, one problem—is that to change a tire you have to lift the vehicle through its entire range of suspension travel to get the tire off the ground, since it's lifting at the chassis.

Stock jacks were made to be minimally effective for changing a tire on pavement. You'd be better off with a stronger hydraulic bottle jack, preferably one with a Safe Jack kit; then it can double as a recovery device. Take a look at their kits, here. Very compact and versatile.

I'm about to write a comprehensive comparison of field jacks for Tread magazine. One is the Pro Eagle off-road floor jack, with fat tires that roll well in gravel and dirt. An interesting concept. Obviously a lot bulkier than a bottle jack.
51164525094_6a2bf27d22_c.jpg

rando said:
How does the floor jack work on gravel and other soft/rough surfaces?

I thought they had to be able to roll to keep the lifting 'pad' at the right spot. On my garage floor jack, the arm moves in an arc and the whole jack rolls 2-3 inches forward as the load is raised.
That's a great question Rando.I have never used it on gravel or anything else while traveling.
I do carry some wood blocks and a flat piece of 2x8 to rest the jack frame on.
Use the 4x4 blocks as a spacer between the jack point and axle point.
Frank

Frank - The high rolling resistance on a soft surface (or placement of the jack frame on a board so it can't roll) and necessary jack lateral motion Rando described combined with the use of a simple block between the jack and the axle seems like a recipe to have the axle slip off the jack as you are jacking.

x1 on bottle jack. Recently had to lift my Ram 2500 with a full load, on a dirt, uneven forest service road where I picked up a lag bolt, fortunately in the center of the tire treads. I used an 8-ton bottle jack under the axle. It went up remarkably easily with one handed operation. The jack itself is compact and takes up very little space. I also carry a single 6-ton jack stand. And a portable air compressor, and plug kit as a back up for my spare. If it's a slow leak the compressor might help me get to a tire repair place for a proper repair.

Back
Top Bottom