Apollo 11 launch anniversary

I remember so many businesses had moon launch tie-ins. Not sure if we've had anything like it since.

Great movie about an obscure aspect of the trip is "The Dish".

Alan

I was on an extended walk-about of Europe with a friend- all us hippies did that then- and watched the landing on a tv in a hotel bar in Geneva, Switzerland. We were just passing through, couldn't afford to stay there. It was kind of surreal being Americans watching it (incognito) in a foreign country with a bunch of European tourists and business people- all of us were awestruck. I remember we slept that night in a hay field in the Alps- back to reality. Good times.

I was a young camp counsellor. The camp had no TV, so it shut down for a few days so everyone could go home to watch. For some of us born in the Sputnik era, it was a Big Deal.

highz said:
I was a young camp counsellor. The camp had no TV, so it shut down for a few days so everyone could go home to watch. For some of us born in the Sputnik era, it was a Big Deal.
It was a big deal. I was a senior in high school and remember being glued to the tv for every detail. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Yes it was and is a big deal.Why can't we do monumental things like that today,( I know why just thought I would ask)
Frank
In the astronomy community there are those that argue we get more scientific bang for the buck by sending out robotic spacecraft. That is undoubtedly true and has shaped NASA for the last few decades, but it doesn't satisfy the need for human exploration. Our species has always migrated and explored in order to survive. It's rooted deep in our DNA, I think.

ski3pin said:
It was a big deal. I was a senior in high school and remember being glued to the tv for every detail. :)
I remember being glued to the tv and Walter Cronkite for all the space shots- amazing how matter-of-fact it is today. I even remember when the Russians put Sputnik up and how most Americans were crushed they beat us to it.

highz said:
In the astronomy community there are those that argue we get more scientific bang for the buck by sending out robotic spacecraft. That is undoubtedly true and has shaped NASA for the last few decades, but it doesn't satisfy the need for human exploration. Our species has always migrated and explored in order to survive. It's rooted deep in our DNA, I think.
I think this will be solved by evolving humans into machines and then heading out. Might be a while but that is where we are headed.

I think this will be solved by evolving humans into machines and then heading out. Might be a while but that is where we are headed.
You shall be assimilated. Resistance is futile. ;)

Very true, even viewing pics and using google earth, I still want to WTW in person. I'm trying to remember if we had a color tv by the time of the landing.

I can't honestly say I remember watching the launch...but I know I did. I watched all (or nearly all) of them starting with Shepard's Mercury launch when I was 5 years old.

I've always considered July 20th to be "Moon Day" -- my own holiday -- commemorating the day in 1969 when they actually set foot on the moon.

Back
Top Bottom