ARB Awnings on a Pop Up...anyone had experience with them?

GroovyDad

I'm considering getting one of these ARB Awnings and mounting it to the side of my Bobcat. The awning is 78" wide and extends to 98," so that should provide ample shade. These are under $300.00 and a little more doable than an expensive Fiamma.

I called ATC today and they told me how to go about mounting it (I will have to relocate two roof clamps) and it doesn't seem like too big of a job. My question is, is an awning worth the trouble? I know wind is an issue and I like to go light and simple, but I find myself wanting some shade capability when there aren't trees around.

arb4402a.jpg

I'd appreciate any advice you WTW'rs could give me.

Thanks

When I had ATC build mine I had them relocate the latches and install awning track on both sides. I haven't worked on an awning yet but I carry 4 poles and a tarp from an old dining canopy (pre EZ-up days). Leave your self options, save money now. And ATC didn't even charge me. Not sayin' they will do the same for you, but they sure are great people to work with.

I have no experience with retractable awnings on my Bobcat.
I've thought about them, however, the dirt roads I drive are not very conducive for hanging anything of even minimal weight off the camper.

I've talked to the owner of Tarp Tie Down that makes the EZ Grabbit and thought about that as a lightweight solution of how to hang a tarp from the side of the camper, however, I didn't want a bright yellow "sleeve" mounted on my camper (they do come with some mounting holes for atachement). Tried to talk him into making them in "white", but, so far, no joy on that issue. Check out their Product Videos, pretty neat ideas, IMHO.

However, that ARB advertising photo is pretty funny, the awning is providing absolutely no shade at all on that side of the vehicle at that time of day.

I believe some folks here have put extension rods on the jack plates and added a bar to hang a tarp from. I can't remember the thread I saw but it looked like a good solution and was one I was considering when I get my rig :)

I have a Smittybilt awning that is very similar to the arb (it might even be the same). I have an older FWC, a 1985 fleet, that has had a lot of stuff done to it and isn't the prettiest camper on the road. I simply drilled holes into it and bolted the awning to the side of the camper using hex bolts that slide into the aluminum track on the back of the awning. I don't know if I'd do this with a newer camper in good shape, but for what I have it didn't bother me. As far as the awning goes, I love it. Very sturdy, goes up and down quickly (especially with the help of another person) and provides good shelter from rain and sun. I tie the support poles out to stakes using a guy line and it is very sturdy. I have the 6.5m by 6.5m version. I think I paid about $200 for it. I recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot on something like a Fiamma.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1439000150847.jpg
    1439000150847.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 556
We had an ARB awning on our Vanagon and liked it a lot, but we do a lot of desert camping where shade can be hard to find. If the corners are staked down properly it can hold up to a pretty stiff breeze. Also nice for providing an outdoor sitting area when the rain is coming down. The ARB does require more fiddling to set it up than a Fiamma and is a bit of a nuisance to set up single-handedly.

Properly mounted to the vehicle it will stay solidly in place over some very rough terrain. However, as Alley-Kat points out,
no awning provides much shade when the sun is at a low angle unless you have a tarp to drape from the edge that is towards the sun. We hold our tarp in place with 3 woodworker's spring clamps. (sort of like clothes pins with muscle)

Thanks for all of the replies. Also, thanks Alley-Kat for posting your link. I've wondered about doing something like that or using aluminum guide tracks, but I'd probably spend $150 on materials for a project that may or may not work for my needs. If I buy one, I'll post my results to share with the group.

I used square aluminum tubes bolted to Jack brackets add uprights. Used a piece of the same square tubing add a cross piece and bolted my awning to that. It comes off easily and has never moved even over some rough roads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I noticed on the FWC Quote sheet they have the option of adding "Awning Rail / Awning Track Only, installed" for $125. I'm hoping that means I can use my existing ARB awning....

RyanOBrian1 said:
I noticed on the FWC Quote sheet they have the option of adding "Awning Rail / Awning Track Only, installed" for $125. I'm hoping that means I can use my existing ARB awning....
I'm sure you can make the awning fit the rail somehow. If not, I'll keep my eyes peeled on eBay when you list yours...

Happyjax said:
I believe some folks here have put extension rods on the jack plates and added a bar to hang a tarp from. I can't remember the thread I saw but it looked like a good solution and was one I was considering when I get my rig :)
This is what I did. Not very pretty and requires stakes and ropes. However, I did the whole thing for less than $25 using a Harbor Freight tarp. When it's well staked, its quite stable and provides good shade.

I just installed (2) ARB 2000 awnings on my 94 Grandby. I took the advice from a post I found on WTW and mounted a 1"x3" piece of extruded aluminum to both sides of the camper with sheetmetal screws through the frame and bolted the awning to that with 6 bolts and lock nuts. I'm really happy with how solid it feels and can't wait to use them. The write up I found on here really helped me to visualize this project and made the whole thing really straight forward and easy. I also ordered the screen room, wind break and 3 wall tent accessories. The driver side will use the 3 wall tent and act as a mtn bike garage, bathroom and shower while the driver's side will be used with the screen room or windbreak as necessary.

This is the write up I followed and many thanks to the poster.
performance gear research. wordpress.com

I've been thinking about using the ARB awnings on my Eagle. On the last camping trip as I was setting up my EZ up type canopy I broke a plastic corner. Normal with these cheapy's. I then realized that using one or the square adjustable corner legs on each jack bracket might work great for and adjustable awning support. I intend to try rigging it up in the spring. Not much that can't be built with a drill, saw, and some scrap.

I've used an ARB awning on my FWC for the past few years without any issues. I've got the very small Finch shell model on my Tacoma so having the extra covered space outside during the rain is great. We often travel really bad roads and have had zero issues with the mounting of this on the camper. The track provided with the awning makes it a really easy install. I added a bunch of extra bolts so it was mounted super secure. I did have to re-locate one of the camper roof latches like mentioned earlier in the thread but that was easy, too. I attached a couple driveway pics of it mounted and deployed.

post-5640-0-85882000-1457365462_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-81682100-1457365533_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3718 (1).JPG
    IMG_3718 (1).JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 184
  • FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 168

Back
Top Bottom