Arcing/Popping when plugging in Hawk

idahoron said:
I read that you have to pull the master switch to charge the battery.
Correct, but per the manual, the converter is on and supplying 12vdc to appliances when plugged in to shore power, regardless of master switch position.

I just checked my Hawk. When I am plugged into shore power the green light on my IOTA DLS-30 smart charger is on regardless if the master switch is in or out.

I have this same problem of arcing when anything was being plugged to both 12 v and 120v. I eventually traced the short to behind the lift panels on front of the camper. The wires behind the lift panel had rubbed together that they lost all insulation and the wire began to short out. I have repaired those 2-3 wires with a more flexible brand of wire and that seems to have solved the shorting situation. In addition, I had drilled into the front of the camper to mount my external shock lifter things and clipped a wire for the marker lights and so i repaired that also and have not had any arcing since. What the heck, it's worth a look. Many people have had the same issue with the wires behind the lift panel shorting out. Godspeed in your search for a solution. Phil

Thanks for the info Phil.

My camper is less than a month old so I hope there isn't a short behind the panel due to wires rubbing together. I'll keep it in mind though for the future.

While out this weekend I tested out the popping sound. I have always plugged the camper into the cord and the cord into the running generator. I started the generator and then plugged the "live" cord into the camper and heard the pop. I must have never noticed it when I plugged it into the generator before. So mine does it too.

The posted directions at the campgrounds we hooked our popup 30 amp system into said to first turn off the site circuit breaker, then plug in, then turn on the breaker. Sounds like they expect a load from the camper. We follow these directions and get no arc. Disconnecting directions are the same. Turning off every 120 volt circuit breaker in the camper should produce no arc if wiring is in good shape. Also, we travel with every 120 volt circuit breaker in the off position to reduce the the chances of parasitic current loss, especially the 12v/120v converter.

Back
Top Bottom