Arctic pak

Paul,

Good points...the heat introduced into a car is primarily through radiant heating via the window glass...then secondarily via conductive heating through the metal and then into the interior..trunks on dark colored cars can go to 250+.

I guess as you said that the Artic Pac delays the conductive heating or cooling of the interior through the vinyl siding. My vinyl sidings and aluminium sidings are white to reflect and reduce solar radiant heating.

Bottom line for me is that the Artic Pak works but I recognize that my Hawk is poorly insulated and plan accordingly.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Bottom line for me is that the Artic Pak works but I recognize that my Hawk is poorly insulated and plan accordingly.

Phil
Exactly how I feel. The Arctic Pak is just another step in the right direction like the insulation I put under the floor and the riser platform. Every little bit helps in the comfort zone and takes some strain off the furnace. But nothing on this side of the point of diminishing returns will turn a FWC into a well insulated house. But that's OK as long as reasonable comfort can be achieved when I need it. Good enough is exactly that.

As soon as I get this extra truck sold and gone I'm going to order up an Arctic Pak for my Eagle. I'd make one but have enough irons in the DIY fire already right now.

I've thought of just making some that hang off of the top Velcro strip from Army blankets, just hang them up when you need them. That way you won't fight all that material when closing the roof. Ron

I had thought similar. Figured wool would be heavy but warm and cheap. I was a little concerned about them getting wet from condensation in cold weather. Wool is warm when wet but gets wet and heavy.

Storage space is at a premium in the Eagle. Arctic Pak left in place doesn't have to be stored elsewhere.

In agreement with all the people saying it's a step in the right direction. Not perfect, but every bit helps. I also have reflectix in the glass windows, cabinets, under the bed, and around the propane cabinet.

Well I wish I had a definitive answer on this as I just returned from death valley to test with and without the thermal pak. Unfortunately the thermocouple I purchased for the test stopped working properly.

I love my liner and it also stays up year round. The thermal transfer delay it provides allows air circulation a better chance of keeping things in check. Shade is shade. convected, as well as natural, air currents help with heat dissipation. Don't forget to open your vent and back door.

Back
Top Bottom