Arizona trip insight?

hosse

I'm taking my wife and 2 kids (2 and 4) to Arizona in a couple weeks for some camping. We were thinking about hitting the Prescott area first (Lynx Lake), then exploring Sedona (Oak Creek Canyon), Flagstaff, possibly Mogollon region, and down to Tuscon as a final destination (for my Grandfathers WWII 95th bomb group event). Any can't miss destinations that anyone recommends? Campgrounds are OK, but not ones where they pack you in like sardines. We'd like to do a little trout fishing, too. I'd love to hear of some good campgrounds and dispersed options if possible. We'll be out around 6 days before Tuscon. THANKS!

Marc
1998 f150 with Hawk

There is a primitive campsite area near Sedona that I can direct you to if you'd like to PM me... Are you camping in the Tucson area as well? If so, I have a few suggestions for that as well. Let me know.

Kyle

Rocky,
My wife and her brother were hiking in Catlina State Park last week. She said there were a couple of vehicle accessable camp sites near water. Are they worth going too?

I have never camped there, but have heard good things. My wife (before we met) camped there a few times... I'll try to remember to ask her tonight and I'll be sure to post her response.

Peppersauce on the north slope of Mt Lemmon is decent. I love the drive up the backside of the mountain as well.

We'll be checking out Patagonia Lake State Park this weekend to try out the new Hawk camper.

Thanks Rocky,
When we get back from Florida we're headed down to Rocky Point for a few days and then I'd like to try some of the local places close to home.

Since we're new to the Old Pueblo the only way up the hill I know of is Catalina Hwy. How do you get around the back side?

I look forward to your report.

Alice says that Catalina state park was very clean and quiet and full of interesting creatures... :) She was tent camping there about 8 years ago and when she opened up the tent in the morning she was greeted w/ about a dozen tarantulas that scattered everywhere. On the same trip she was also surprised by a Colorado River Toad that was disguising himself as a rock near the entrance to the bathrooms... BWRUP! BWRUP! :)

Ok then we'll try it when we get back. Pam just left to do the equestrian loop hike there.

We also want to get into the Chiricahuas. there are so many great places that are just a couple of hours away I cant decide where to go first.
Thanks Rocky

If you want to take the slow but scenic ride to Tucson, after leaving Sedona/Flagstaff area head to SR 87, milepost 281.1. Here you head east on Forest Road 300 (It is dirt but fairly well maintained and some of the most scenic driving in Arizona). You stay on this for about 50 miles and come to SR 260 just outside of Forest Lakes. Here you can take SR 260 east to Show Low then continue east on US 60 until you come to Springerville. Leave Springerville southbound on US 180 and this will take you through Alpine, Hannigan Meadow, Morenci/Clifton. Take US 191 into Safford and then to I-10 and the back way into Tucson. A lot longer route, but some of the best views in Arizona. It is National Forest the whole trip so dispersed camping is not a problem.
Have fun and be safe, Rick

Thanks, Rick. We just got back Sunday night from AZ. I look forward to returning and taking your advice. We did go south from Flagstaff on the 180 and 87 towards Tucson, but had to hurry. The Rim area is awesome. Anxious to see it again.
Marc

Rocky,
Drove up Catalina Hwy this AM. Great vistas and plenty of cyclists. Actually more like masochists. Although I used to ride up Angeles Crest to Mt. Wilson when we lived in Altadena. But I digress. Took the single track dirt road down. PepperSauce is very nice and we saw a large bobcat in the brush as we entered the camp ground.

I love that road. very scenic and fun to drive. Pam got a bit nervous in some places but enjoyed the ride. Gave me a chance to excercise my FWD. Lunch at Lupes on the 77 and then home. About 125 miles and a nice day trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Glad you enjoyed it. I took Alice and my parents up the backside and down the front side last Saturday. We had lunch at the Mt. Lemmon cafe in Summerhaven.... mmmm... yum! Heading down to Madera Canyon today for some birding/hiking/camping.

Back
Top Bottom