Artical on butt splices, crimpers, tinned wire, heat shrink

pods8

Contributors
Stumbled across this today and found it interesting (nerdy I know). Figured some others out there may like it too though:

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_services/more_online/electrical_wiring.php

Great article. Thanks.

I think he mislabeled some of the results down below but the general idea still came through.

I think its time to retire the old cheapo crimpers I have... The Vaseline seeming to provide better contact was surprising though.

I think its time to retire the old cheapo crimpers I have... The Vaseline seeming to provide better contact was surprising though.

I question every crimp I have made using my cheapo crimpers. I too think it's time to retire them (or more likely put them in the truck's tool box). I recently bought a pair of ratching crimpers for Anderson Powerpole connectors and I was very impressed with the quality of the connections they made.

I question every crimp I have made using my cheapo crimpers. I too think it's time to retire them (or more likely put them in the truck's tool box). I recently bought a pair of ratching crimpers for Anderson Powerpole connectors and I was very impressed with the quality of the connections they made.

Do you have a link or part number for your crimpers? Time for me to update too.

Do you have a link or part number for your crimpers? Time for me to update too.

I got mine from Powerwerx.com in Southern California.

I like to use a western union wire splice instead of crimp connectors.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Master-a-perfect-inline-wire-splice-everytime/

CWD

I've hated my crimpers for a while now. Didn't even know about ratcheting crimpers. Have one on order now.

I've hated my crimpers for a while now. Didn't even know about ratcheting crimpers. Have one on order now.

Which one did you order?

Which one did you order?

I needed to crimp of a car stereo harness yesterday so I picked up a set of these (this place has good prices and is conveniently a couple miles away for will call pick ups): Titan crimpers they worked nicely. Good crimps w/o having the really squeeze down on the hold cheapies (also far less chance of gouging out the insulation). As far as I could tell you still do only one side at a time even though it looks like you might be able to do both (doesn't get a good crimp if you try it), so you get a double crimp on both sides.

That set is for insulated terminals and works good on those. Now I'm curious what is the right tool for crimping these seamless non-insulated butt connectors: Splices This tool doesn't work for them (does good on the insulated as mentioned), I'd like to try these out with heat shrink for sheathing.

I went with this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270721911279&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
from ebay. I don't do enough to justify one of the really pricey ones.

I ended up going with this one since it has multiple dies to deal with insulated and non-insulated terminals:

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18920-Ratcheting-Terminal/dp/B0002STTTI

I looked at that one but mainly I'd be intersted in 2 dies sets. I got the one set and frame for normal insulated terminals for $20, if I can find something similar in the $20-30 range that does a good non-insulated crimp I'd rather do that. Less money and no need to switch dies.

If you have use for the other dies though then that starts looking like a decent buy. Let us know how you like it.

I looked at that one but mainly I'd be intersted in 2 dies sets. I got the one set and frame for normal insulated terminals for $20, if I can find something similar in the $20-30 range that does a good non-insulated crimp I'd rather do that. Less money and no need to switch dies.

If you have use for the other dies though then that starts looking like a decent buy. Let us know how you like it.

I ordered this one because I've seen slight variations in sizes from different manufacturers crimp connectors. This kit is flexable and will allow me to get exactly the right amount of crimp for any given connector.

So my question is, should we just solder all splices or how do they hold up?

So my question is, should we just solder all splices or how do they hold up?

Properly crimped connections do not need soldering. When I choose to solder them, it is usually because I did not have a proper crimp tool so the crimp I did was to make the soldering easier.

One area I choose to solder properly crimped connections at times, is when I want to seal up ring terminals for weather exposed situations. I heat shrink the terminal/wire and the soldering seals the end up, prevent moisture and corrosion creeping up the wire. Terminals on boats or antenna rotator on tower tops for example. The hazard to be aware of is excessive wicking of solder up the wire flex zone. The larger terminals can be found with closed ends.

Back
Top Bottom